Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we have any recourse?

Options
  • 04-02-2021 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,

We moved into our apartment in August 2020. Visually it passed all the tests. However soon as we are here this place is falling apart and the company and contractors who are suppose to be looking after these things are using covid as their excuse, which would be fine but they are clearly abusing it. Our floor is rotting. The entire front room is completely warped and it stinks, they came out and said we needed to be out of the apartment for the day. We left they breezed in and left and gave us no updates, we could see nothing had been done, so chased with numerous phone calls and emails and told it is the roof leaking. Now the roof is fine visually and the floor stinks and is warped and if you even try hoover that room chunks are now coming off the wood floor. They aren't giving us a date for any of this to be repaired, any dates they do give come and pass.

There has been a litany of complaints. The complex we are in only has 2 residents, us on the top and a guy with 2 kids underneath. Now we have on numerous occasions come and and had teenagers smoking weed on our stairs, all the local teenagers know the codes, it has been different groups. We have ran the agency and the Garda, the agency say they are waiting on a new door panel. This is going around 6 weeks, still no sign, and I don't believe for a second there is a problem with it. The contractors never came out.

We went 2 months without a light in the bathroom, had to use the light over the mirror.

We had an issue with the boiler and had no heating or hot water for about 10 days.

Do we have to accept this as is, we wrote looking for money of the rent since we couldn't stay here some nights and their is a global pandemic going on. We were just offered our deposit back if we want to leave.

Do we have any recourse here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You can go to the RTB and make a complaint but if I was you I'd document everything give them one chance to fix it and then get out of there as fast as you can, take them up of the offer of deposit back. You can always file a complaint later if you feel the need or simply tell the RTB the place isn't habitable.

Word of warning though, if I was letting a place I'd alway google the persons name and check the RTB site if they were involved in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Take your deposit and leave. Complain to the RTB about the state of the place.
    Word of warning though, if I was letting a place I'd alway google the persons name and check the RTB site if they were involved in case.

You probably don't want to rent from someone who would reject a potential tenant based on them having made this type of genuine complaint against a LL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,073 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If water ingress is that bad, it will be very difficult to get rid of the stench of dampness quickly. A lot of remedial work may be necessary to replace wooden boards, carpets/flooring along with sorting the source of the damp.

Probably best to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Joffrey

Ugh, all sounds as I feared. Thanks for the responses.

Advertisement