Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the point of myhome.ie?

Options
  • 04-02-2021 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

Why do people bother to advertise on myhome.ie?
    They never have a single property thats not also on daft whilst daft often have houses not on myhome
    Why would you bother putting it on a second site?
    I really can't see any prospective house buyer just looking on myhome and not daft
    Not a hugely significant question but one that has me thinging, why?!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Daft was more associated with rentals and then moved into property sales later. Myhome started out as the site for sales. The Irish Times paid €50m for myhome just before the 08 financial bust and made huge losses on it, so much so that good journalists lost their livelihoods.

Daft grew organically and because many people who look to buy were previously renting, it was the natural place to search first.
    So, to answer your question, if you spent €50m on a website, then you're not going to shut it down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I don't know if it's still the case but a lot of higher end houses used to only be on myhome, probably because it's perceived as more prestigious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

property.ie is often quite good , its a very low frills site but is usually up to date and quicker to remove stuff thats sold than Daft

Myhome is rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

For estate agents my home have a CRM which many use so it all feeds into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

Daft was more associated with rentals and then moved into property sales later. Myhome started out as the site for sales. The Irish Times paid €50m for myhome just before the 08 financial bust and made huge losses on it, so much so that good journalists lost their livelihoods.

Daft grew organically and because many people who look to buy were previously renting, it was the natural place to search first.
    So, to answer your question, if you spent €50m on a website, then you're not going to shut it down.

50 million for that wow, no wonder Irish media have such financial troubles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

I actually quite like the extra features that My Home seems to have vs Daft. The Price Change search and analysis and quick links to PPR. But agree that there is feck all difference in the properties listed. I was chatting to an agent about it and he said he has issues with Daft not renewing ads as they are meant to and finds My Home more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Citygirl1

I'm finding daft.ie to be very annoying recently. There's been some change to the search function, which means you can't simply search for properties in a given location. eg. I search on location "Inchicore" + 0km. It returns properties in Inchicore, Drimnagh, Ballyfermot, Walkinstown. Surely this is basic.

Agree that both site list much the same properties. I would always have thought of MyHome as more geared towards sales. I found the "my saved searches" feature very handy when house hunting. - I had a few different searches, for different groups of locations, price range, number of bedrooms, and got an email alert if a new property came up for sale fitting my criteria.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

MyHome is still my go to site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    I'm finding daft.ie to be very annoying recently. There's been some change to the search function, which means you can't simply search for properties in a given location. eg. I search on location "Inchicore" + 0km. It returns properties in Inchicore, Drimnagh, Ballyfermot, Walkinstown. Surely this is basic.

Agree that both site list much the same properties. I would always have thought of MyHome as more geared towards sales. I found the "my saved searches" feature very handy when house hunting. - I had a few different searches, for different groups of locations, price range, number of bedrooms, and got an email alert if a new property came up for sale fitting my criteria.

Yes, hate the new interface and their 'Search Nearby' in their app is brutal. Shows properties way off in other counties but not in the next town over!

I like being able to 'swipe' through photos from the search page on MyHome on the phone, rather than on daft, where you have to click into the actual ad.

€50m for a property site though. Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

MyHome is more EA-friendly and has some features like filtered map searching that Daft really struggles with.

It also does have some properties that Daft doesn't have, although they are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    property.ie is often quite good , its a very low frills site but is usually up to date and quicker to remove stuff thats sold than Daft

Myhome is rubbish

property.ie is a sister site of daft.ie. It's basically a filter for all property for sale in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

What's the story with sellmyhouse.ie? From what I can see it's very little used (and a horribly amateurish website), but there are still quite a few listings there depending on area. As none of the ads have any date of publication (see above), it's impossible to know how recent an ad is, or whether the property has been sold/withdrawn. I tried messaging a seller, and got confirmation that my message was delivered, but no response yet...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I just compared the two for my local area. There were several properties only listed on myhome. If I was in the market, I'd definitely be checking both.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Same anything in life, people like choice and no matter how popular one may be, some will prefer a different one or to use 2 or more.

Advertisement