Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glasses people wear

Options
  • 03-02-2021 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Does Dee Forbes think her glasses enhance her? What was she thinking?

Do you have any examples of people who wear glasses that are just dreadful?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

They probably enhance her eyesight.

Wheelchairs for the eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

bobbyss wrote: »

It's a hard life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

bobbyss wrote: »

Heinrich Himmler wore glasses, by all accounts, he was a bit of a bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Heinrich Himmler wore glasses, by all accounts, he was a bit of a bollix.

He was a bit of a character all right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I think they're great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

ShyMets wrote: »

Always making a spectacle of himself

I have had to wear glasses since I was 5 years old. I hate them! Doesn’t matter what style I choose, glasses are ****e

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Darn, beaten to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

I have had to wear glasses since I was 5 years old. I hate them! Doesn’t matter what style I choose, glasses are ****e

Try and look at things through a more positive lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ShyMets wrote: »

He gets a hard time but he was all reich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,681 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Lucky you. I have had to wear them since I was 2 years old.
    Have you ever though of trying contact lens?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I work in online advertising, and an Italian company called Luxottica spend an enormous amount on marketing their glasses brands. Which is pretty much everyone at this stage: Oakley, Ray-Ban, Chanel, Prada, Versace etc. They also produce pretty much all the frames for companies like Specsavers. There's very little difference in the actual quality of the frame themselves between a €40 and a €4000 pair apart from the logo, the case, and the buying experience, so they actively target their brands towards the market segment identified. Obviously they spend more on someone wanting to buy a pair of Chanel glasses than someone looking for a 2 for 1 offer in Specsavers, but this is very targetted advertising.

Huge markups.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,302 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

deirdrespecs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

I work in online advertising, and an Italian company called Luxottica spend an enormous amount on marketing their glasses brands. Which is pretty much everyone at this stage: Oakley, Ray-Ban, Chanel, Prada, Versace etc. They also produce pretty much all the frames for companies like Specsavers. There's very little difference in the actual quality of the frame themselves between a €40 and a €4000 pair apart from the logo, the case, and the buying experience, so they actively target their brands towards the market segment identified. Obviously they spend more on someone wanting to buy a pair of Chanel glasses than someone looking for a 2 for 1 offer in Specsavers, but this is very targetted advertising.

Huge markups.

Yeah but what about Dee Forbes?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,302 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

hurikane wrote: »
    Yeah but what about Dee Forbes?

Moira Doherty's are worse!
    image.jpg

AMKC wrote: »
    Lucky you. I have had to wear them since I was 2 years old.
    Have you ever though of trying contact lens?

Me and contacts have never got on. Tried them as a teenager when they were proper hard things not the flimsy ones nowadays and I had an allergic reaction.

I have disposable ones but they are no use as I would have to take them out every time I wanted to read something as I’m very short sighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I think they’re sexy on certain people, they just make a face, take them off and you think...God what was I thinking!

As for me I can’t carry them, awful goof, hence I only wear them at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Helgagirl

deirdrespecs.jpg

This post made me laugh. Years ago when my mother was in hospital and I was visiting her, the patient in the bed beside her came over to tell me that she thought I looked liked Deirdre Barlow. Yes it was the days of the huge plastic frames, and when I now look back at old photos I think to myself 'what the hell was I thinking' but I suppose when everyone is wearing similar it's not as noticeable. Not saying which picture I looked like, but I also did have a perm at the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Steven Donnelly's combo of glasses, bald head and beard looks like photoshop.
    Makes him look like a character from the old Guess Who games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

deirdrespecs.jpg

tracy-by-deirdre-gravestone.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

They styles seem to go in and out of fashion all the time which is extremely irritating when you just want to replace an old pair of frames. Ten years ago you couldn't move for rimless glasses in the opticians. A few years later it was those awful chunky-armed things, then hipsterish tortoiseshell frames. Had a quick look in the opticians recently and it seems to have gone back to chunky-armed things again but this time with ultra prominent branding/logos on the sides.

I just want a pair of thin, wire-framed glasses that are as light and unobtrusive as possible. I'll gouge my own eyes out before I'd wear a pair of glasses with TOMMY HILFIGER or some other chav branding plastered across them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

image.jpg

They look like cheap Groucho joke glasses.

Conor McGregors ones look like what a 1990s sex offender would wear.

image.jpg

Screen-Shot-2018-07-27-at-12.55.00-PM.png?fit=bounds&width=1200

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wall Street vs Reddit gave us Scott Shellady and Xeni Jardin - looking like bespectacled supervillains

Wall-Street-Bets-Alt-Right-Incel.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Huge markups.

The desperate Specsavers sales person making a fuss out of buying and simply trying on frames is a sight to behold.

And yes, pun intended.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

biko wrote: »
    Wall Street vs Reddit gave us Scott Shellady and Xeni Jardin - looking like bespectacled supervillains

I saw it with a brilliant caption:
    609691.jpg

Advertisement