Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir 5G broadband

Options
  • 03-02-2021 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I live in D14 but can't get decent broadband. It's the building, not wired for Virgin at all and the ADSL upload is cr@p. Landlord not interested in the slightest, but to be fair it's cheapish rent for the area and everything else is fine.

So I just went on nperf.com and was surprised to see great 5G coverage in my street from Eir. Not from the other two.

I know they don't actually want to sell me 5G broadband, but if I got myself a 30 day contract normal phone sim and a 5G hotspot, would it work?

Wouldn't necessarily be my main connection, this is just for games and work meetings. It says no limits on data, but assuming it's against the rules to tether or they'd be selling their own service.

If you're with me so far, any tips on what hotspot/modem to get and from where? I want something I can break the simlock on, if its not already unlocked, and use on holiday with foreign networks in future. If we ever get to leave the country again that is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

chaikhosi wrote: »
    I live in D14 but can't get decent broadband. It's the building, not wired for Virgin at all and the ADSL upload is cr@p. Landlord not interested in the slightest, but to be fair it's cheapish rent for the area and everything else is fine.

So I just went on nperf.com and was surprised to see great 5G coverage in my street from Eir. Not from the other two.

I know they don't actually want to sell me 5G broadband, but if I got myself a 30 day contract normal phone sim and a 5G hotspot, would it work?

Wouldn't necessarily be my main connection, this is just for games and work meetings. It says no limits on data, but assuming it's against the rules to tether or they'd be selling their own service.

If you're with me so far, any tips on what hotspot/modem to get and from where? I want something I can break the simlock on, if its not already unlocked, and use on holiday with foreign networks in future. If we ever get to leave the country again that is.

Eir have never had an issue with allowing their customers to tether. They just throttle the speed for any users whose total data goes over the FUP threshold in a given month. Perfectly fair in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chaikhosi

Thanks, yeah I see the FUP limit is 120gb which would be fine. Shouldn't have jumped to conclusion, was just surprised they only sell 4g mobile broadband even now their 5g phone service is active.

Have you used Eir 5g yourself btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Is there any 5G prepay plans? .. dont want a year contract just to test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is there any 5G prepay plans? .. dont want a year contract just to test

Not on Eir.

Someone reported getting 5G on a Gomo SIM but it's not officially available and Gomo is SIM only 30 day contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Eir confirms GoMo won’t be getting 5G any time soon

So its just three I can test 5G with .. no other providers offer 5G prepay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Fairly sure it's just Three that have it on PAYG plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭paddy19

Eir have a SIM only 30 day contract 5G 120GB for €19.99 a month.

https://www.eir.ie/mobile/simonly/

Not quite PAYG but no too far off with 30 day contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Why would anyone need 5G anyway? Especially with 120 GB limit? So they could reach their FUP quicker than on 4G network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭paddy19

alec76 wrote: »
    Why would anyone need 5G anyway? Especially with 120 GB limit? So they could reach their FUP quicker than on 4G network?

Possibility that 5G might give better speeds than 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

alec76 wrote: »
    Upload speed, less network contention.

• Advertisement
Advertisement