Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 500mb broadband

Options
  • 03-02-2021 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have it ? I got it in today and it’s terrible so far , only getting download speeds of 19 on my phone wirelessly but standing right next to it. Everything is laggy also, any suggestions? Other people living near me are getting above 300

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Is your phone connected by 5Ghz? Have you tried a wired connection using a laptop capable of 500+ connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

TheDriver wrote: »
    Is your phone connected by 5Ghz? Have you tried a wired connection using a laptop capable of 500+ connection?

I don’t have a laptop I’m afraid. I had sky 60meg before this and it was much much better. This is a disgrace to be honest, I was consistently getting 45 on sky from a phone test and only getting half that with Vodafone which is meant to be 12 times faster than sky

How do I connect my phone with 5ghz ?

Go into WiFi settings of your connection and check the link speed.
    I'd also recommend borrowing a laptop and plug it in direct to router to test.
    Otherwise Vodafone will be just blaming your devices.

Go into WiFi settings of your connection and check the link speed.
    I'd also recommend borrowing a laptop and plug it in direct to router to test.
    Otherwise Vodafone will be just blaming your devices.

Sure I don’t need speed tests to see that’s it’s useless, I know what you mean though they’ll just say wireless speeds will be lower. I’ve only had it with 12 hours I can surely cancel within 14 days can I ?

• Advertisement

Also does anyone know why I have my moden and and white box bolted onto my wall in a different room ? I’ve never seen that before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

How are you testing your speed?
    What are getting using fast.com

You need to be connected 5Ghz to get fastest speed

alan4cult wrote: »
    How are you testing your speed?
    What are getting using fast.com

You need to be connected 5Ghz to get fastest speed

It’s a speed test app on my phone called ookla. But watching Netflix on a smart tv (wireless) is buffering and watching other thing, this never happened with sky which only a 60meg package

rottie 11 wrote: »
    It’s a speed test app on my phone called ookla. But watching Netflix on a smart tv (wireless) is buffering and watching other thing, this never happened with sky which only a 60meg package
    Can you go to fast.com and get your reading.
    Can you also check on your phone if you are connected 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

Can you go to fast.com and get your reading.
    Can you also check on your phone if you are connected 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

My reading on fast.com is 42. I tried doing that on my iPhone I’ve no idea how

• Advertisement

Ok this is quite strange.
    You could switch off WiFi on your phone and switch back on while standing close to modem and it should connect to 5ghz then. Then check speeds.

The extra box you asked about above is the fibre ONT, converts fibre to ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Just for some perpestive and reference.... I'm on Vodafone 100mb broadband and just tested fast.com on my phone over 5ghz wifi.

I'm getting 73mbps....

I figure if everyone else moves to direct fibre, I'll be the last left on fibre to cabinate, and no more contention issues??!

I normally use the ookla app and this gives the same result by the way.

I would also say you generally have a 14day cooling off period to cancel for any reason you like? But you'll pay for the few days you did use it possible?

Ok this is quite strange.
    You could switch off WiFi on your phone and switch back on while standing close to modem and it should connect to 5ghz then. Then check speeds.

The extra box you asked about above is the fibre ONT, converts fibre to ethernet.

It’s very stange alright, when it was first installed I got 266 on the speed test. But went downhill since. I’ve no idea what that means but im assuming it has to be left on all the time ?

Yes it needs to be left on all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭yammagamma

are you on vodafone through siro or openeir network ?

yammagamma wrote: »
    are you on vodafone through siro or openeir network ?

Siro I thibk. There a white box on the wall that says siro

So I was getting between 19 and 50 last night. This morning I checked before work and I got 320 the first test then 510 the second test. I’m after checking there again and only got 50. Why does it keep dropping off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

rottie 11 wrote: »
    So I was getting between 19 and 50 last night. This morning I checked before work and I got 320 the first test then 510 the second test. I’m after checking there again and only got 50. Why does it keep dropping off ?

I switched from Virgin 300mb to VF gigabit. On some occasions I can get the full gigabit i.e. at like 6am. But in theevenings my speeds go down to 20 - 70 mb.

there's contention somewhere in their network. I'm only getting 240 right now. After my year contract is up, I'm changing back to Virgin. At elast it was always consistent.

you cant really rely on speed tests on your phone as others have said or through a wireless connection as 2 many variables . as you have no laptop or pc. you said you have netflix on your tv is that a wired connection as you can do speed tests in settings in netflix if i remember right. if its not a wired connection make it one by buying few meters of ethernet cable or maybe moving your tv next to router and you could open web brower in your tv and do speed test ?

I switched from Virgin 300mb to VF gigabit. On some occasions I can get the full gigabit i.e. at like 6am. But in theevenings my speeds go down to 20 - 70 mb.

there's contention somewhere in their network. I'm only getting 240 right now. After my year contract is up, I'm changing back to Virgin. At elast it was always consistent.

thats crazy if your getting only 20-70mb even 240 mb while paying for 1gb
    id cancel all dd with them get onto your bank to reverse charge the DD , you have upto 8 weeks to get a single DD reversed charged as far as im aware.

i was in the process of switching to VF thanks for the heads up

• Advertisement

yammagamma wrote: »
    thats crazy if your getting only 20-70mb even 240 mb while paying for 1gb
    id cancel all dd with them get onto your bank to reverse charge the DD , you have upto 8 weeks to get a single DD reversed charged as far as im aware.

i was in the process of switching to VF thanks for the heads up
    You start by contacting VF, lodging a support ticket. Then if that doesn't work, you lodge a complaint. Then you go to comreg.
    Stopping a DD is a last last resort when you can prove they haven't kept their side of the contract and given them an opportunity to do so.
    At present, VF don't know you're unhappy and it could be something simple like an account setting.

Same thing today was great this morning and early evening then faded badly as it got a bit later. What a load of ****e tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Also got 500mb upgrade off VF. Wifi speeds are no different really in comparison to broadband.

Average about 35mb/s.

I was under the illusion having a dedicated fibre line running into the house speeds (wireless) would be better. Also still one brdroom is a black spot which again the rep told me would improve with the new modem etc

Wired connection based on teen sons Xbox Series X is 525mb/s though so at least hes happy

Advertisement