Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Term Let - Non-Registered Overnight Guests

Options
  • 03-02-2021 2:54pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭


    You rent out a house to groups of people on weekends away.

    is it reasonable to state to the guests that no one who isn't staying there is allowed stay in the house? so say a group of women are staying there and they bring back a few lads they met in the pub/club. Because from my experience if damage is done to such a property, its usually done by men, not to be sexist but its true. I know some people who only rent these houses to groups of women.

    would this fly or do you think people wouldn't think it was reasonable and choose somewhere else?


Comments

  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell


    Moved to more suitable forum.


  • Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭L1011


    That would be absolutely normal, applies to hotels etc also.


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham


    Mod Note

    OP, on the basis you're talking about short term lets I have amended the thread title. Let me know if this is not the case.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015


    L1011 wrote: »
    That would be absolutely normal, applies to hotels etc also.



    ok. Just I see it happening a lot. I suppose you can tell them no guests but a lot might not listen.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7


    pgj2015 wrote: »
    You rent out a house to groups of people on weekends away.

    is it reasonable to state to the guests that no one who isn't staying there is allowed stay in the house? so say a group of women are staying there and they bring back a few lads they met in the pub/club. Because from my experience if damage is done to such a property, its usually done by men, not to be sexist but its true. I know some people who only rent these houses to groups of women.

    would this fly or do you think people wouldn't think it was reasonable and choose somewhere else?

    How would you plan on enforcing it?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs


    pgj2015 wrote: »
    ok. Just I see it happening a lot. I suppose you can tell them no guests but a lot might not listen.

    Could you put in your T&C's any guests staying overnight that are not registered are subject to additional fees?


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015


    Browney7 wrote: »
    How would you plan on enforcing it?



    it would be difficult to enforce. but you would have their deposit so maybe could take from that any others who stayed. or if no damage was done just let it go.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015


    messrs wrote: »
    Could you put in your T&C's any guests staying overnight that are not registered are subject to additional fees?



    it would be easier get that money from the deposit id say. not a hope some lads after a night out would hand over money for staying in a house of someone they just met the night before unless they were gentlemen i suppose.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman


    pgj2015 wrote: »
    You rent out a house to groups of people on weekends away.

    is it reasonable to state to the guests that no one who isn't staying there is allowed stay in the house? so say a group of women are staying there and they bring back a few lads they met in the pub/club. Because from my experience if damage is done to such a property, its usually done by men, not to be sexist but its true. I know some people who only rent these houses to groups of women.

    would this fly or do you think people wouldn't think it was reasonable and choose somewhere else?

    You haven't been in the Airbnb/ holiday let game for long I suspect. If you're anywhere near a hen party hot spot this will change shortly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874


    Maybe set it up to suit a family or professional usage, maybe only have one double bed, or just dont let to anyone that doesnt want to let only as 2 people or 2 people with 2-3 kids or whatever.
    Unless you have someone nearby that can monitor to some limited extent, this is a risk with short term lets, I disagree that only guys wreck a place, you can get guys or women, maybe ensure you have an appropriate contract and a means to extract money from them via CC as well as deposit.
    And possibly, if so long as there isn't damage, maybe dont care, even if you have it in the contract, cover yourself but expect it might happen.
    It might well be viewed as part and parcel of the short term let landscape.
    Not sure how clued in you are, but mayb be on the lookout for short term letting that turn it into a brothel.


    Letting out these days is just too much risk imo


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm


    pgj2015 wrote: »
    You rent out a house to groups of people on weekends away.

    is it reasonable to state to the guests that no one who isn't staying there is allowed stay in the house? so say a group of women are staying there and they bring back a few lads they met in the pub/club. Because from my experience if damage is done to such a property, its usually done by men, not to be sexist but its true. I know some people who only rent these houses to groups of women.

    would this fly or do you think people wouldn't think it was reasonable and choose somewhere else?

    It's reasonable to state and in most cases then it will be respected. In some, it won't and nothing will happen, In some rentals, damages might occur regardless of whether or not non-staying guests are present and cause damage.

    People break rules. We have speeding signs on our roads, yet hundreds of thousands of fines. So stating something doesn't make it not happen.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭MacDanger


    pgj2015 wrote: »
    You rent out a house to groups of people on weekends away.

    is it reasonable to state to the guests that no one who isn't staying there is allowed stay in the house? so say a group of women are staying there and they bring back a few lads they met in the pub/club. Because from my experience if damage is done to such a property, its usually done by men, not to be sexist but its true. I know some people who only rent these houses to groups of women.

    would this fly or do you think people wouldn't think it was reasonable and choose somewhere else?

    Is the problem the potential damage caused? Or the people staying over? It seems like it's the former but you're assigning the latter as the cause for it and then working off that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7


    pgj2015 wrote: »
    it would be difficult to enforce. but you would have their deposit so maybe could take from that any others who stayed. or if no damage was done just let it go.

    Then it's a damage deposit really. You're concerned that guests staying over will cause damage is a fair concern.

    I just think you're opening yourself up to disputes for no reason really.

    Put yourself in the following situations after a booking checks out:
    1: they check out, place is fine, just needs the clean for the next guests which you have a cleaning fee for. However, you know with certainty client X had a guest all night and you can conclusively prove this (how you know I don't know - maybe you staked out the place and saw someone go in and not leave till 10 the next day). Do you then go and deduct 100 from their air BnB deposit despite no damage and point to your booking T&C's. If client accepts all well and good, it's likely they won't and kick up a fuss (he was only there for an hour, he left after a while, just in for a cup of tea etc) or bad reviews or feedback. This is a "you broke my rules but there's no real foul done to the property" deduction.

    2: same client checks out and you find damage but have no clue that someone stayed over. You just say, "look you broke a chair and the mattress is destroyed, forfeit of deposit, PFO".


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015


    Browney7 wrote: »
    Then it's a damage deposit really. You're concerned that guests staying over will cause damage is a fair concern.

    I just think you're opening yourself up to disputes for no reason really.

    Put yourself in the following situations after a booking checks out:
    1: they check out, place is fine, just needs the clean for the next guests which you have a cleaning fee for. However, you know with certainty client X had a guest all night and you can conclusively prove this (how you know I don't know - maybe you staked out the place and saw someone go in and not leave till 10 the next day). Do you then go and deduct 100 from their air BnB deposit despite no damage and point to your booking T&C's. If client accepts all well and good, it's likely they won't and kick up a fuss (he was only there for an hour, he left after a while, just in for a cup of tea etc) or bad reviews or feedback. This is a "you broke my rules but there's no real foul done to the property" deduction.

    2: same client checks out and you find damage but have no clue that someone stayed over. You just say, "look you broke a chair and the mattress is destroyed, forfeit of deposit, PFO".




    it was just about potential for damage really. I wouldn't care if they had a few guys stay over and no damage was done. I would be looking for extra money for that. I think it would be best to state no extra guest as if you had 20 women stay there and they invited another 20 lads back after the pub, then the chances of trouble/damage would greatly increase.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns


    Yes but now you are taking about full scale house parties. Very straight forward to say they aren't allowed in your rental terms.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman


    this thread is a wild roller coaster.

    All women are going to bring back groups of men who are all going to smash up the house.

    why even be in the short let game if you're that afraid.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015


    this thread is a wild roller coaster.

    All women are going to bring back groups of men who are all going to smash up the house.

    why even be in the short let game if you're that afraid.



    Now you are just getting carried away with yourself. I never said all women were going to bring back men who were going to smash up a house, so You might be best stay out of the conversation. it isn't after hours, Im just throwing out my thoughts and looking for peoples opinions. Im in business for a few years so I know you think certain things out before starting any business.


  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke


    OP - state it in your house rules - no unregistered guests. If a group of say..8... book, make it clear you dont want any more. You can also request a deposit given the group is large. stick the house rules in a visible place and try to meet your guests on arrival if possible.

    I find a lot of people book for 5, and 10 show up... never expected to meet me. safe to say they aren't impressed when they get the option to leave or pay up

    maybe tell them you live somewhere that has a view of the house lol


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015


    Skipduke wrote: »
    OP - state it in your house rules - no unregistered guests. If a group of say..8... book, make it clear you dont want any more. You can also request a deposit given the group is large. stick the house rules in a visible place and try to meet your guests on arrival if possible.

    I find a lot of people book for 5, and 10 show up... never expected to meet me. safe to say they aren't impressed when they get the option to leave or pay up

    maybe tell them you live somewhere that has a view of the house lol




    Reminds me of a friend of mine who rented a house on a j1 in America, there was supposed to be 4 in the house, the landlord turned up and there was 25 living there.:)


Advertisement