Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmalade Question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭phormium

I have made two batches of marmalade in past couple of weeks, I don't worry about what the water reduces down to, in fact I don't think mine reduced much at all as I cooked the oranges whole in the slow cooker first so no evaporation. There would have been a bit of a reduction when I boiled the guts of the oranges with the liquid for a while but just did that for 15 mins or so. The recipe I used didn't mention anything about reducing liquid or a specific amount of liquid before adding sugar other than the starting amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Thanks for your reply.
    The recipe I'm using didn't specify to reduce to a certain amount so I wondered if they omitted a step or instruction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I haven't made marmalade myself, but when I make jams and chutneys I often refer to Allotment-garden.org for sensible advice. They have a section on making marmalade that might help you.

https://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/jam-jellies-marmalade/how-to-make-marmalade/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭phormium

I don't think there is a need to reduce it down specifically other than whatever it does while simmering, it hasn't beeb mentioned in any of the recipes I use. Making blackcurrant jam today and makes no mention either of reducing the liquid. I presume the sugar amount specified is geared to dissolve in the amount of liquid stated, otherwise you could have too much sugar to liquid ratio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

If you watch the video for the recipe you can see that the liquid level in the pot doesn’t reduce much.
    As long as you test the set and that is fine everything will be well!

• Advertisement

sorry another question!
    can I strain the mixture so there's no peel?
    would that affect things much?
    I boiled all up last night and I'm adding the sugar etc today and putting it in jars

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yes you could, as they say in the link I posted above.

Measure the juice and heat it in a pan. Add 450g (1 lb) warmed sugar to each 570 ml (1 pint) of juice, stir until all the sugar has dissolved.
    Bring to the boil and boil rapidly until the marmalade sets when tested.
    Remove the scum and let the marmalade cool a little so that the peel does not rise to the top of the jelly.
    Pour into clean, dry, hot sterilized jars.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

ellejay wrote: »
    sorry another question!
    can I strain the mixture so there's no peel?

I thought the essence of marmalade was the "worms" :)

tangy wrote: »
    I thought the essence of marmalade was the "worms" :)

straining just for 1 fussy eater :)

Advertisement