Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday bumps

Options
  • 02-02-2021 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

On a Whatsapp group and a friend just sent an old photo of me getting the birthday bumps from all the lads outside our local pub many years ago!

Got me wondering when was the last time you saw the bumps been given to someone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Sorcha Dhuisigh _She_Her_

What are birthday bumps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

What are birthday bumps?

Where you get tossed in the air as many times as your age on your birthday by a group of friends! We did it a lot in Kerry. Not sure if it was a common tradition elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭ax530

Think they were common at weddings too feeling last time I saw someone getting bumps was a wedding reception about 8 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,603 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

ongarboy wrote: »
    Where you get tossed in the air as many times as your age on your birthday by a group of friends! We did it a lot in Kerry. Not sure if it was a common tradition elsewhere.

We had them in Dublin too. The last “bump” usually ended up with everyone letting go and a hard landing.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Sorcha Dhuisigh _She_Her_

Oh cool. Not something that was done where I grew up. Sounds like great fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It’s one thing asking a gang of 15 year olds to throw their 15 year old mate up in the air 15 times. Quite another when you swop the ‘15’ for ‘50’.

That’s why you see the bumps less as you age.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Virtual bumps for everyone, yay high five guys, super awesome

Oh my God. The bumps!! I hated them. And if they happened when you were wearing your school uniform everyone could see your knickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,603 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Oh my God. The bumps!! I hated them. And if they happened when you were wearing your school uniform everyone could see your knickers.

‘I see England, I see France...’

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Clean ones I hope.....

• Advertisement

Clean ones I hope.....

Of course!! My mother had me well tutored. She would have said "Frosty always make sure you have clean underwear if God forbid you are in an accident.

‘I see England, I see France...’

I see Emmet's underpants :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Correction:

I see Emmet's "underpants" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Revised correction:
    I see Emmet's "gender-neutral undergarments"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The last time I saw someone getting the bumps was my aunts wedding when I was about 8. I think it stopped for two reasons, health and safety in the hotels and the risk the bride was pregnant and wasn’t telling people yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

I remember waking up from the bumps with everyone around me looking scared.

I was a kid so didn't realise I'd probably been concussed.

Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hold up, I thought getting birthday bumps was when you got a punch in the arm for every year old you were?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Hold up, I thought getting birthday bumps was when you got a punch in the arm for every year old you were?

God no. That’s the birthday THUMPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I used to love them, until around my way people would call "baggsie lay ins" halfway through the ritual to which people would start laying in a boot at the the call out of every number.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Last saw the birthday bumps being given at my nephew’s 21st about 5 years ago. He’s a big lad, but his mates grabbed him and started throwing him up in the air. Unfortunately they did it right under a big air-conditioning unit on the ceiling over the dance floor, and if it wasn’t for me jumping in and pulling back on his shoulder at the last second, he would have had his face planted right into it.

Funeral bumps are a lot safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ongarboy wrote:
    Got me wondering when was the last time you saw the bumps been given to someone?

Probably my cousins 21st, when we ploughed him into the solid wood rafters in the pub

If you were any bit slim or slight, you could get tossed really high!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

I used to love them, until around my way people would call "baggsie lay ins" halfway through the ritual to which people would start laying in a boot at the the call out of every number.

That's what I remember. Every time someone came down they were met with about twenty boots. Sore. Worst thing imaginable was someone in school finding out it was a birthday as everyone was subject to it

If you were any bit slim or slight, you could get tossed really high!

....and add in a whole pile of people tanked on alcohol and drugs etc, can lead to the below....
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Probably my cousins 21st, when we ploughed him into the solid wood rafters in the pub

fairly sure hes still dealing with this trauma, after 20 years!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ....and add in a whole pile of people tanked on alcohol and drugs etc, can lead to the below....

fairly sure hes still dealing with this trauma, after 20 years!

Must be time for his 40th birthday bumps so!! Lol

Must be time for his 40th birthday bumps so!! Lol

we missed that one, due to covid, so we ll get the fcuker

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CloRunner

never saw it happen at school or anywhere else for that matter so I was NOT expecting it to happen to ME on my 21st birthday 🤦‍♀️

thought it was only something that happened to guys - evidently not 😳😳😳

Advertisement