Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Bar controlled by TV remote

Options
  • 02-02-2021 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

I have an LG 55UN73006LA smart tv. I would like a sound bar for it, but if possible a sound bar that can be controlled by the TV remote (sound plus/minus, mute).

Does such a sound bar have to have an HDMI ARC connection?

Will any sound bar with an HDMI ARC connection allow the sound to be controlled by the TV remote? Or do I have to make sure it is compatible with the LG tv?

Thanks, in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I have an LG 55UN73006LA smart tv. I would like a sound bar for it, but if possible a sound bar that can be controlled by the TV remote (sound plus/minus, mute).

Will any sound bar with an HDMI ARC connection allow the sound to be controlled by the TV remote? Or do I have to make sure it is compatible with the LG tv?

Thanks, in advance.

You should check if the LG Remote can control sound equipment directly with IR. My samsung tv remote controls my Polk soundbar through IR. It's connected to the tv with an optical cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Thanks, in advance.

I have an LG TV, I also have an LG soundbar. They are connected by an optical cable but even on Bluetooth the TV remote controls both, when I power on or off the TV the soundbar does the same

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I have an LG TV, I also have an LG soundbar. They are connected by an optical cable but even on Bluetooth the TV remote controls both, when I power on or off the TV the soundbar does the same

But can you use the TV remote to adjust the volume of the sound bar?

But can you use the TV remote to adjust the volume of the sound bar?

They are one of the same! If you are using the sound bar as your audio output then that’s all you need to control?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    They are one of the same! If you are using the sound bar as your audio output then that’s all you need to control?

Thank you. Sorry, I may appear a bit stupid here, but I don't quite understand your answer. Can you use the TV remote to control the volume?
    (My wife will not be happy, if she has to use the sound bar remote to control the volume)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ideally you need to have arc or bluetooth on your sound bar to be able to control it with the TV remote. If they're the same brand they may work like Nigzcurran using the same control, but otherwise all TVs and sound bars should have arc anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think CEC on both the TV and sound bar is all you need https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/what-is-hdmi-cec

Personally I like to keep them separate as I don't have the sound bar on all the time

Thank you. Sorry, I may appear a bit stupid here, but I don't quite understand your answer. Can you use the TV remote to control the volume?
    (My wife will not be happy, if she has to use the sound bar remote to control the volume)!

Yep I can use the tv remote to change the volume or I can use the sound bar remote to change the volume, they both do the same identical job.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

I have an LG tv and a Sonos Beam soundbar connected via optical cable. TV remote controls sound through the Beam. Alexa is built into the Beam and she can, of course, control the volume. Also, she can turn on and off the TV, which is pretty slick -"Alexa, TV off"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Sonos Beam doesn't have an optical connection, are you using the optical-HDMI adapter?

• Advertisement

Have you considered a Logitech harmony remote? You add all your devices and then create activities with these devices like watch TV, play a game etc and set which sources and what device controls sound etc

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Hurrache wrote: »
    Sonos Beam doesn't have an optical connection, are you using the optical-HDMI adapter?

Umm yes must be - functionality is as I described though

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes HDMI-CEC on both the TV and soundbar is what you need so that the TV remotes volume buttons (up/down/mute) control the volume of the soundbar.

HDMI-CEC also controls switching on and off the soundbar automatically when the TV is switched on and off.

I've a LG TV, with a Samsung Soundbar and the LG remote controls the volume of the Samsung soundbar. So works across companies.
    Clareman wrote: »
    Personally I like to keep them separate as I don't have the sound bar on all the time

I leave CEC on, but with LG TV's it is very quick and easy to switch sound outputs, which also switches the soundbar on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Thanks, in advance.

HDMI ARC does cover that functionality, but occasionally the equipment doesn't play together. I have good track record with Samsung stuff, so-so with Sonos Beam and rather mediocre with Pioneer. Alternatively you can get a LG soundbar - those can be connected over optical and sync volume as well.

You can also connect the soundbar with analogue stereo input to the headphones output on TV and control it like that.

LG Magic Remote does allow to control other equipment too, but the support is patchy for some exotic hardware.

bk wrote: »
    .HDMI-CEC also controls switching on and off the soundbar automatically when the TV is switched on and off.

That is not enough. Soundbar or AVR with support for only HDMI-CEC switches on when you change the input to the HDMI it's connected. HDMI-ARC extended that standard to switch on the audio equipment when TV switches on, regardless what is being shown.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

grogi wrote: »
    That is not enough. Soundbar or AVR with HDMI-CEC will only switch when you change the input to the HDMI it's connected. HDMI-ARC extended the standard to switch on the audio equipment when TV switches on.

Ah, my TV and Soundbar are pretty much the latest and greatest and both support eARC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

griffdaddy wrote: »
    You should check if the LG Remote can control sound equipment directly with IR. My samsung tv remote controls my Polk soundbar through IR. It's connected to the tv with an optical cable.

I'm not sure why my post was ignored? I just checked there, your TV comes with the Remote MR20 and can control any soundbar directly. You don't need an arc compatible soundbar or a Harmony remote or anything. Just pick any soundbar really.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I'm not sure why my post was ignored? I just checked there, your TV comes with the Remote MR20 and can control any soundbar directly. You don't need an arc compatible soundbar or a Harmony remote or anything. Just pick any soundbar really.

Don't be so sure - I haven't seen support for Wharfedale, Roth Audio or Pioneer soundbars (only AVR are supported) for instance.
    The likes of Samsung, Denon or Onkyo should work ok, but it's a far cry from "any soundbar".

Advertisement