Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stagnant smell coming from the drains

Options
  • 02-02-2021 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

HELP! Recently I had my bathrooms refitted. Since then, there is an awful smell from the rooms, if they have not been used in a while (over a few days) The smell is akin to that of a damp smelly towel. The plumber returned and fitted an anti styphon(??) pipe under the sine in the smaller room. All was good for a few days, but now the smell is back as bad as ever. There was never an issue before the refit. What's even worse, is that I am now getting the odour from the kitchen sink!!! The drains all appear to be working okay. Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Sounds like one of the traps is drying out. There may have been a new/changed connection to the soil stack that is sucking the water from a trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Sounds like one of the traps is drying out. There may have been a new/changed connection to the soil stack that is sucking the water from a trap.

An ‘air admittance valve’ added in an appropriate place might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Quinnie

An ‘air admittance valve’ added in an appropriate place might help?

Where should this valve be put? Should there be one on every sink?
    There was already one put in the on-suite sink. The plumber assured that one would be sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭micks_address

A friend had similar issue and turned out to be cracked waste pipe at back of dishwasher

Advertisement