Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodger allows sister to use bedroom when she's not there

Options
  • 02-02-2021 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I just want to get an opinion on how to handle this properly. I rent two if my rooms in my house. I'm a live in LL. One of my lodgers let's her sister sleep in her bedroom while she's at work. This happens sporadically. My other lodger is male but is out of work because of Covid. My gut reaction is to think that this isn't on for a few reasons. I'm renting the room to my lodger not her sister. There is a security issue such as if I leave the house, she has the full run of the house etc. Am I being OTT or well within my LL rights to demand that the sister cannot stay there unsupervised?
    Opinions please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

thats not allowed

have a word, immediately .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

fran38 wrote: »
    I just want to get an opinion on how to handle this properly. I rent two if my rooms in my house. I'm a live in LL. One of my lodgers let's her sister sleep in her bedroom while she's at work. This happens sporadically. My other lodger is male but is out of work because of Covid. My gut reaction is to think that this isn't on for a few reasons. I'm renting the room to my lodger not her sister. There is a security issue such as if I leave the house, she has the full run of the house etc. Am I being OTT or well within my LL rights to demand that the sister cannot stay there unsupervised?
    Opinions please

Is she easy on the eye

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is she easy on the eye

Not the forum for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭fran38

Is she easy on the eye

I didn't know I posted in after hours ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Does your lodger work night shifts, or is the sister coming round at 9 in the morning to go for a sleep, does she work nights?
    Very odd

Either way it is not on, room is rented to lodger and if she is not there no one else should be. Even if she is, there should be limits on who else is there especially given the current covid situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's your house, your rules. If you're uncomfortable with the situation, then simply say so. Does either lodger have a partner stay over, or what's your policy on that?
    If she's a good lodger, then would getting a replacement, be better or worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Not on.
    Popping around for a while or a cuppa fair enough but going there too sleep is a bit much.
    Have a chat with the renter

Your lodger is legally a licensee right? What rights do they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is the sister also sleeping in the bedroom when the lodger isn't at work?

Why did you feel the need to mention the other lodger, and their gender, at all? How does the room being used affect them? If it's because they're male and the visitor isn't - then how's it OK for the the lodger but not the sister? If it's because the guest's behaviour has made the other lodger uncomfortable, then that should be addressed head-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

fran38 wrote: »
    Am I being OTT or well within my LL rights to demand that the sister cannot stay there unsupervised?
    Put the foot down, tbh. If she doesn't like it, give her notice, and get someone who won't take the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭fran38

OP here. Thank you all for your considered comments. I'll have a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Get one of those fingerprint locks on the front door and the bedroom door :)
    No such problems then.

Advertisement