Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screws for Tanalised Timber

Options
  • 02-02-2021 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Building a chicken coop and run using tanalised timber. Would there be a recommended screw to use for this timber?

Have come across posts in other countries suggesting certain types of screws will/won't rust/degrade in tanalised timber but there doesn't seem to be any consensus.I've seen comments that zinc coated are no good in the long term, and best to go with galvanized.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Decking screws are good, e.g. the green ones you find in builders providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hot dip galvanised are really the only choice, I am currently replacing a lot of decking boards because the green decking screws corroded and caused the boards to rot.
    I don't recommend the green coated screws for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its only a chicken coop stop worrying about it. Are you going to put nappies on the chickens to prevent them pooping in the coop?

The cheapest solution as mentioned are the green decking screws. They perform differently when used on vertical shed cladding than when horizontally in decking where they stay wet longer.

Stainless Steel screws would be nice but are prohibitively expensive for a chicken coop.

My oldest chicken run here would be about 19 years old and its had a few of its original chipboard screws replaced but only ones that are near ground contact where timbers have also been replaced and a few where I used smaller screws than I do now.

Standard sizes I use now are 4 x 50mm for putting on shiplap and 5 x 100mm (or 120) for screw but joints for side panels.

The tanalising will have next to no effect on the screws. I find internal screws that stay dry come out as good as they go in, its the screws that hold the shiplap in place and get wet that rust. Even the rusted screws rarely fail before the timber and its only if you try and remove them they will snap.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement