Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sealing Shower Tray - Advise Please

Options
  • 02-02-2021 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi folks,

So I'm in a new build, and the ensuite shower tray is starting to show sealant issues. Basically, there are 3 or 4 small sections where the sealant has come away. Each section would be between 10mm to 80mm, and all are where the tray meets the tiled wall.

I'm hoping someone can give me a steer on:

Replace/reseal just the effected areas, or do the whole length?

What to use? Would tech7 be any good or should I go get some silicone?

Any recommendations on weights people have used in the past, or ensure tray is weighted while applying and letting set?

Any other tips/advice appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Take it all off. Masking tape. Do a nice strong bead around the whole thing. Clean off with wet finger in soapy water.

Leave for a few mins and then pull off the tape

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Corkey123

listermint wrote: »
    Take it all off. Masking tape. Do a nice strong bead around the whole thing. Clean off with wet finger in soapy water.

Leave for a few mins and then pull off the tape

Urgh!! Do it right. See Andy Gosford's comprehensive demo how to carry out this task

Corkey123 wrote: »
    Urgh!! Do it right. See Andy Gosford's comprehensive demo how to carry out this task

What's the urgh about ?

Take it all off means remove old sealant and clean the area out.

Why is that urgh...

Never use your finger to finish off a sealant as it creates a weak bond. Always use a shaping tool.

Explained best by Charlie

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Wolftown

Thanks a million for the replies, will check out the videos once I get a few minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Wolftown wrote: »
    Thanks a million for the replies, will check out the videos once I get a few minutes

Lidl have tools for applying and removing silicone, liquid remover and silicone itself at the moment ( last week) However I understand the quality of the silicone is important so you may wish to buy a more expensive brand. Some products are specially for bathrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,834 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Never use your finger to finish off a sealant as it creates a weak bond. Always use a shaping tool.

I bought one of those kits on his recommendation. Someday I may even use it :pac:

I get his point. But the weakness isn't the tool it's the finishing. Fingers and thumbs can be used perfectly fine . You can mess up with a finishing tool just aswell frankly they aren't a Panacea for poor finishing.

Use your eyes to check over the work.

The finished result using you finger Vs a dedicated tool as mentioned is very significant. It is about the angles of the bonding of the silicone and surface achieved, and ultimately the strength and longevity of the job. It is explained well in the video.

I have used my fingers for years carrying out this task, but in the last couple of years I began using a cheap dedicated tool and found it far superior in both look and effectiveness. I think you will find more contractors moving towards these products.

The finished result using you finger Vs a dedicated tool as mentioned is very significant. It is about the angles of the bonding of the silicone and surface achieved, and ultimately the strength and longevity of the job. It is explained well in the video.

I have used my fingers for years carrying out this task, but in the last couple of years I began using a cheap dedicated tool and found it far superior in both look and effectiveness. I think you will find more contractors moving towards these products.

I have both. And I use both interchangably depending on circumstance. Final finish should always be examined by eye. I stand by that.

• Advertisement

he also claims using your finger puts dirt and bacteria into the uncured silicone which encourages mould growth later. No idea if this is true, most bathroom sealant claims to be "anti-mould" but I have anti-mould paint on the bathroom wall and it still goes mouldy occasionally.

To come back to this - watched the video and went with the tool. Got it in Lidl as suggested by Cerco.

Resealed shower and bath, so will see how long the jobs last.

Thanks all for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What sealer did you use?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What sealer did you use?

Pattex silicone that I got in Lidl along with the tool. Did a very quick Google search when I was in there and reviews seemed good, so took a punt on it. Time will tell I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Wolftown wrote: »
    Pattex silicone that I got in Lidl along with the tool. Did a very quick Google search when I was in there and reviews seemed good, so took a punt on it. Time will tell I suppose...

Is it stinky? Some of those sealers can be absolutely rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

I used white tec-7

Seems better than the cheaper stuff after 5 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Good video with plenty of good tips. Although by the looks of it Charlie throws more silicon into the bin than he puts on the joints. :pac:

Redid the seal on the bath yesterday using the toolset recommended by Charlie. Spent much longer removing the old stuff than applying the new silicone but overall a neat(ish) job, much better than using your finger, & no soapy spray required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The bigger problem with using a wet, soapy finger is not the concave profile, but the soapy water getting ahead of some sections before the silicone does as you drag the finger along the bead. To the eye, it might look like a good seal, but bacteria is small and will get to work in those gaps before your first shower. This will cause early failure and the installer may never know about it.

Stay Free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

The soapy water may help with the fingering but not the best solution.

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Is it stinky? Some of those sealers can be absolutely rank.

It does have a strong smell when applying, but fine the next day after leaving the window open.

Advertisement