Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting at ADD - Addis Ababa? What is it like?

Options
  • 01-02-2021 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Just saw some attractive prices on business class Cloud 9 with Ethiopian airlines and they seem to be a very modern carrier and Addis airport looks ok too, they used to serve LAX out of DUB a few years ago I recall and still use it for refuelling now I think. The 787 service seems good and I have never been onboard a 787 yet.

The airport seems nice and modern from this Noel Philips video pre-covid,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbw1L2lb7Q

he mentions about a smokey atmosphere due to roasting coffee which would not appeal to me at all (allergies), especially with wearing a KN95.

With European carriers cancelling everyday I am more inclined to book with the likes of Ethiopian or maybe even Qatar direct out of Dublin instead. I was planning ORK-LHR-ADD and onwards or else DUB-DOH, however the Doha flight makes a savage dog leg and with entry to Qatar closed it would make a long 14 hours layover in Doha unless they have transit hotels inside the terminal?? because of this Ethiopian is looking more attractive at the moment on time and price.

Anyone go with Ethiopian or experience Addis airport?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

theguzman wrote: »
    Just saw some attractive prices on business class Cloud 9 with Ethiopian airlines and they seem to be a very modern carrier and Addis airport looks ok too, they used to serve LAX out of DUB a few years ago I recall and still use it for refuelling now I think. The 787 service seems good and I have never been onboard a 787 yet.

The airport seems nice and modern from this Noel Philips video pre-covid,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbw1L2lb7Q

he mentions about a smokey atmosphere due to roasting coffee which would not appeal to me at all (allergies), especially with wearing a KN95.

With European carriers cancelling everyday I am more inclined to book with the likes of Ethiopian or maybe even Qatar direct out of Dublin instead. I was planning ORK-LHR-ADD and onwards or else DUB-DOH, however the Doha flight makes a savage dog leg and with entry to Qatar closed it would make a long 14 hours layover in Doha unless they have transit hotels inside the terminal?? because of this Ethiopian is looking more attractive at the moment on time and price.

Anyone go with Ethiopian or experience Addis airport?

Now I haven't been in Addis airport in 3 years but it's very basic, toilets are gross and there is nothing to do once you go past security to the gates. There are three versions of the exact same cafes and variations of the same duty free shop.

On the other hand, I enjoy flying with Ethiopian except for the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Ethiopian are fine, addis has to be one of the worst airports ive had to go to, i see youve said about business class so may be fine. had a 6 hour layover there and spent an hour of that waiting to get a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

We flew Business Class with Etihad to Hong Kong via Addis Ababa airport. Horrendous place. Thousands of people packed tight. Terribly hot and stuffy. Transfer from the airport to the plane took over 20 minutes. The only saving grace was that the Business Class coach was air conditioned. The Business Class Lounge was as big as a Woodie's Superstore, nothing classy about it at all.

The check in area for our onward flight was crowded with people and not enough seats.

I would definitely not fly that route again.

Advertisement