Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTA Satellite differences between different boxes?

• 01-02-2021 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is a bit of a novice question. I've only once used a free to air satellite dish a few years ago at a friend's house. Worked well generally, but it was very slow to change channels. Maybe 5 or 6 seconds each time. Is this inherent to all satellite dishes. Or would a higher spec box be faster?

I'm looking at the Amiko Mini Combo box. https://www.soundstore.ie/amiko-hd-terrestrial-free-to-air-combi-box-amikominicombi.html

Is there any advantage to going with a higher spec one than that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

You more or less answered your own question. Better spec boxes have more memory and faster processors. This means instant channel switching and the ability to do much more also.
    The Zgemma H7S is flavour of the month. The Amiko you linked to only has one satellite tuner which means you couldn't record one channel while watching another. The Zgemma is a triple tuner box, which allows you to record 2 different things while watching another. Plus lots more feature as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Is the cabling the same for both the zGemma and the Amiko.
    Say, I decided that the Amiko wasn't cutting it, is it possible to swap it out without any additional wiring needed?

Blisterman wrote: »
    Say, I decided that the Amiko wasn't cutting it, is it possible to swap it out without any additional wiring needed?

You will need one cable from a suitable aerial for the Irish Saorview channels. If you want recording you also need two cables from the satellite dish LNB (the yoke on the dish arm). The Amiko only uses the aerial and one satellite cable.

The Zgemma has other functions. For example, if connected to your home network you can stream live TV or recordings to any device on your network that has a web browser, E.G. a laptop or phone. They can also control it, set timers, view the EPG etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bronkobilly

i use the walker satellite combo box great receiver

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is 7 day epg for uk channels available in ireland yet?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »

On Enigma powered boxes such as the Zgemma, you have 7day EPG for both satellite and Saorview, along with series linking etc.
    I cant speak for the Walker box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Blisterman wrote: »

The Zgemma supports Unicable. That means that if you change the legacy LNB on the dish, you only need one satellite cable to watch/record two channels simultaneously. That should allow you use the existing cabling.

You can also combine the terrestrial and satellite signals on one cable, if you're really stuck. If doing this with Unicable look for advice from other contributors as it could be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

On Enigma powered boxes such as the Zgemma, you have 7day EPG for both satellite and Saorview, along with series linking etc.
    I cant speak for the Walker box

The latest Walker combo is only now and next on English Satellite channels (28E)

However Walker Smart app is on play store, can be set up easily on your smartphone and gives 3 day EPG, you can set recordings with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭decor58

fryup wrote: »

The early walker combo box (WP645TS, about 2013) has a sat free mode giving 7 day epg and many of the current LG TV's if tuned in to a UK postcode will give 7 day epg and the Humax and Manhattan freesat boxes have been popular here for years.

Advertisement