Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to Receive Vodafone TV over Sky B/B (using VF router)

Options
  • 01-02-2021 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if it's possible to receive VF TV over Sky fibre? I'm guessing not, but I read elsewhere on boards that if I use the VF router I currently use (to connect the VF TV box to my network), and connected that to the Sky Q hub, it might work?

I'm expecting the answer is 'No', but hoping someone might have some technical insight that might mean it actually is possible

(I know this is not a typical use case, but due to working from home and my employer maybe supplying a B/B connection, that's how the question has come up)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I'm open to correction on this, but I think you can only get Vodafone TV by taking Vodafone broadband as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

deadduck wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if it's possible to receive VF TV over Sky fibre? I'm guessing not, but I read elsewhere on boards that if I use the VF router I currently use (to connect the VF TV box to my network), and connected that to the Sky Q hub, it might work?

I'm expecting the answer is 'No', but hoping someone might have some technical insight that might mean it actually is possible

(I know this is not a typical use case, but due to working from home and my employer maybe supplying a B/B connection, that's how the question has come up)

I don't use Vodafone - but I have Eir Vision - and I expect Vodafone's TV service works the same way, as they rent lines from Eir.

Eir Vision is a multi-cast IPTV service - although it is IPTV, the TV signals do not share the same Internet bandwidth that is used for other Internet services - it is nailed up multi-cast capacity dedicated to IPTV to ensure a very high quality of service, and presumably so that the ISP can guarantee to the copyright owner that the content is not being viewed off-site at broadcast quality. This means that the dedicated capacity is permanently associated with your physical broadband line, and can't be used when you are off-site. However, Eir also offer an app that can be used to access TV on the go. When viewing TV on the app, the signals go over the normal Internet, so this can be used from anywhere. Probably slightly less quality and reliability, depending on the quality of the connection that you have access to when off-site. The quality of signal is also likely "dumbed down" slightly for app access, so as to convince the copyright owners that the original content can't be pirated off-site. I presume that Vodafone do the same with an on-the-go app?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Eir Vision is a multi-cast IPTV service

Its not. The device requests chunks akin to netflix and youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Sorry to contradict you Wabbit Ears - but my Eir Vision box is definitely configured as Multi-cast, with IGMP enabled in my router.

I don't have the latest Apple 4K Box that Eir currently offer - and perhaps they may have moved away from Multi-cast in the Apple box. However, from what I have seen of Vodafone, it looks like it is more akin to the previous version of eir Vision.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Is there perhaps a difference between eir Vision (the legacy service, dedicated STB) and eir TV (the current service, off the shelf Apple TV) in this regard?

At any rate, if you want to mix and match pay TV and broadband Sky is the only major pay TV provider now allowing you to do so. Virgin (who started in TV) used to allow you to do so too but since Virgin TV 360 launched you have to take triple play (I am given to understand this is due to a difference in how software updates are downloaded but it seems all too convenient).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Sorry to contradict you Wabbit Ears - but my Eir Vision box is definitely configured as Multi-cast, with IGMP enabled in my router.

I don't have the latest Apple 4K Box that Eir currently offer - and perhaps they may have moved away from Multi-cast in the Apple box. However, from what I have seen of Vodafone, it looks like it is more akin to the previous version of eir Vision.

Thats cool, must have changed since I built it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I realised afterwards, as my current b/b is coming in via copper (FTTC I believe), but I also live in a SIRO enabled area, it could be possible to have both systems running simultaneously, as they will be operating on different infrastructure.

Anyway, this might not happen at all, but if there are any developments, I’ll be sure to post back.

Advertisement