Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Away Ideas

Options
  • 01-02-2021 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭

Any ideas of a good fake away besides grabbing a pizza and chips.
    Post edited by Mystery Egg on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Cerveza wrote: »
    Any ideas of a good fake away besides grabbing a pizza and chips.

They do some nice 2 pot Indian curry sauces..jalfrezi Madras, Rogan josh etc
    Fry chicken, onion and those small bite size/lunchable peppers with the top pot (spice)
    Then add the sauce and simmer for 10-15 mins and their own pilau rice (in the flat tub..not packets...tasty meal inside 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

The doner kebab fron the Cooking Club:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94656790

(Photobucket have now put the photos back, albeit with a watermark.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,335 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Here’s one I posted a few months ago. Sweet & Sour Chicken - Hong Kong Style. I’ve done it several times now and it always goes down a treat. :D
    Thanks! :)

The Sweet & Sour was a mix of this healthish bit from usual BBC food site -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sweet_and_sour_chicken_52908

And the Hong Style Chicken was just diced chicken, dipped in egg, then corn flour and fried. It’s messy, cornflour is a weird ingredient. But worth it. Kids loved it and I fed 6 people for less than a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I do this one a lot, when in the mood for takeaway:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/low-fat-chicken-biryani

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

And the Hong Style Chicken was just diced chicken, dipped in egg, then corn flour and fried. It’s messy, cornflour is a weird ingredient. But worth it. Kids loved it and I fed 6 people for less than a tenner.

Do you literally just fry it in a pan they same way you would diced chicken breast, with a tablespoon of oil? You don't need a pan full of oil?

• Advertisement

woodchuck wrote: »
    Do you literally just fry it in a pan they same way you would diced chicken breast, with a tablespoon of oil? You don't need a pan full of oil?

No, you need to deep fry the chicken first then put it in with the veg/sauce to finish it off.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I do this one a lot, when in the mood for takeaway:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/low-fat-chicken-biryani

Or if you have a bit more time, Curry Addict’s Chicken Biryani from The Cooking Club is fantastic. :)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056521427/20/#post87103622

No, you need to deep fry the chicken first then put it in with the veg/sauce to finish it off.

Damn :P I don't have a deep fat fryer. I'll give the regular chicken version a go though :)

woodchuck wrote: »
    Damn :P I don't have a deep fat fryer. I'll give the regular chicken version a go though :)

I just pour a bottle of Vegetable Oil into a wok, stick it on a high heat and use that. Chuck the leftover oil into the compost bin.

I just pour a bottle of Vegetable Oil into a wok, stick it on a high heat and use that. Chuck the leftover oil into the compost bin.

I'm too much of a whimp to try that! I have a fire blanket and all, but just wouldn't risk it :o I also don't like the smell of the oil.

I'll still give the recipe a go anyway, just the easy/whimps way of frying regular chicken breasts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Chuck the oil into the compost heap? That is such a bad idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I make the nadiya hussains lamb bhuna, sounds complicated but its fair easy and only a handful of ingredients, i usually triple the amount and freeze into portions for quick Saturday night munch with a few beers, and extra chillis if ya like it hot hot hot ...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Kapsalon

Might be a bit too much work seeing you cant get decent shoarma\doner meat here so you ll have to figure out how to spice the meat yourself.
    But it is the ultimate hangover food.

Sambal is available at most Asian shops. But any spicy sauce will do.

JPA wrote: »

Well, the compost bin really. The heap I keep for grass clippings and chicken sh1t! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

tangy wrote: »
    The doner kebab fron the Cooking Club:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94656790

(Photobucket have now put the photos back, albeit with a watermark.)

Still one of our go to recipes here - it isn't even all that much work, so easy and tasty. We had it last week yet again.
    Homemade spice bag is quite easy to do too, with loads of recipes online. I have it with mayflower curry sauce for easiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

JPA wrote: »

I've heard this but I've always wondered why.
    If it's vegetable oil, I don't see the issues, really.
    Any insights?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Fakeaway pizza, (I don’t use the pizza base as I find normal bread healthier, which is the point of a fakeaway I suppose!) favourite bread, ciabatta or failing that sliced pan. Grill first side, spread passata on uncooked side, top with low fat cheese and favourite toppings, in my case plenty of chilies! Ready in minutes, far less calories and yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Nice few dishes to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://www.pataks.co.uk/recipes/indo-chinese-chicken-manchurian

this was an accidental find and I've made it over and over.
    It suggests madras paste but if you're not into spice then balti paste workes just as well, the tikka or jalfrezi pastes don't cut it, have yet to try it with the vindaloo paste.

when the sauce thickens up and sticks to the chicken, serve it on rice and it genuinely looks like something you'd get down the Chinese.
    Im a big fan of chicken thighs but this works much better with breast pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

Prawns marinaded in some oil and gochujang sauce (available in many shops, not just asian shops) and fried tastes like something directly out of a takeaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I've heard this but I've always wondered why.
    If it's vegetable oil, I don't see the issues, really.
    Any insights?

Will pollute the ground.
    Will slow composting, could turn compost anaerobic.
    Will attract vermin.
    Dangerous to wildlife and nature.

Small amounts can be used but large quantities should be brought to a civic amenity site or recycling site.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Oooooooh chick manchurian!

The McDonnell's spice bag mix is pretty good!
    Also had a lot of luck w/ the crispy shredded chicken from the freezer in dunnes.

McDonnell's chipshop curry sauce is good for fakeaway. Oven chips + curry sauce into a plastic tub, put the lid on and set the timer for at least five if not ten minutes. Almost as good as the real thing. (the sweating of the chips in curry is key, do not skip the sealed tub)

We make a few indian curries, bhajis, naan. The bhajis are deepfried, like onion rings, it's really the only way. Felicity cloake's perfect naan bread is a fairly reliable recipe. Curries are based on spice blends.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Chilli bean burrito is a new favourite here
    I picked up a can of Batchelors chilli beans in dunnes, fry off some onion in a pan then add sweetcorn, heat the beans(have added meat substitutes to the sauce) chuck the syuff from the pan in with the beans,
    Be sure to have your rice on the go while prepping your beans (also, some greens)
    Season as you see fit, a bit of cayenne/paprika and pepper worked beautifully
    Heat up a naan and get a cheese ready (no guac in this week)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rufusbucher

Give a try to hwachae. I promise you'll never regret.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Zombie thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement