Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD channels on Sky

Options
  • 01-02-2021 12:53pm

Hi,

I'm getting rid of the SKY HD pack on sky but just wondering if you still get RTE HD, BBC HD etc because they're FTA? I know you can tune them in but I need to know what recordings i have that won't be watchable after I remove the pack so tuning them in won't be of any help.

If there's anyway of seeing a list of HD channels you have without having the HD pack, that would be great.

Also I only realised that I've been paying the old price for the HD pack (E15) and not the standard E8 that's been the norm for awhile now. I doubt there is any point in trying to get reimbursed for this?

Thanks for any help
    Post edited by icdg on

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I dont subscribe to sky anymore but when I did, I didnt pay for the HD pack, but i did have both RTE's and BBC channels in HD

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

BBC HD will remain but once you stop subscribing you will no longer be able to get RTE via Sky, you should be able to get them on an aeriel. All recordings will be gone once you cancel.

Here's a list of the Free To Air channels available from your dish...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

BBC HD will remain but once you stop subscribing you will no longer be able to get RTE via Sky, you should be able to get them on an aeriel. All recordings will be gone once you cancel.

Here's a list of the Free To Air channels available from your dish...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E

I took from his post that he wasn’t cancelling Sky altogether just the HD pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,721 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This is a list of the free HD channels which can be got with a dish. As already pointed out, RTE and all the other Irish channels need an aerial.

https://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&hdtv=1&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

Plugging the cable from the dish directly into the TV and doing a scan could get all the free channels. But I think it depends on what sort of Sky LNB is on the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I took from his post that he wasn’t cancelling Sky altogether just the HD pack.

You definitely get RTÉ HD without the HD sub (if you maintain a sky sub). You don't get Virgin or TG4.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help. Really appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Hi,

I'm getting rid of the SKY HD pack on sky but just wondering if you still get RTE HD, BBC HD etc because they're FTA? I know you can tune them in but I need to know what recordings i have that won't be watchable after I remove the pack so tuning them in won't be of any help.

If there's anyway of seeing a list of HD channels you have without having the HD pack, that would be great.

Also I only realised that I've been paying the old price for the HD pack (E15) and not the standard E8 that's been the norm for awhile now. I doubt there is any point in trying to get reimbursed for this?

Thanks for any help

With a Sky subscription and a HD box without the HD Pack you get the following HD channels

RTÉ One
    RTÉ2
    TG4

And all the Free-To-Air HD channels

BBC One
    BBC Two
    BBC Four
    CBBC
    CBeebies
    Quest
    Smithsonian
    SportyStuff
    And all the HD News channels with the exception of Sky News in HD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

@mackersdublin
    what about ITV1 HD, Ch4 HD and Ch5 HD. They are also FTA. Are they not on a Sky box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

@mackersdublin
    what about ITV HD, Ch4 HD and Ch5 HD. They are also FTA. Are they not on a Sky box?

They are FTA too but not on the EPG here in Ireland, only available to view through Other Channels. The OP asked about Recordings

With a Sky subscription and a HD box without the HD Pack you get the following HD channels

RTÉ One
    RTÉ2
    TG4

And all the Free-To-Air HD channels

BBC One
    BBC Two
    BBC Four
    CBBC
    CBeebies
    Quest
    Smithsonian
    SportyStuff
    And all the HD News channels with the exception of Sky News in HD

That's great mate. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

RTE1 HD have gone free to air on the Sky satellite platform, people right across Britain can now access Irish TV without any subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

1204 was a test for a new BBC HD region that was showing RTÉ1 for some reason. It was not an official channel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭blackbox

My understanding regarding recordings is that you will only be able to view recordings made from channels you still subscribe to. Open to correction.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I think we’ll close this thread, it’s a We Don’t Drag Up Old Threads situation in any case

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement