Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get Airside in Dublin?

Options
  • 31-01-2021 6:09pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭


    Strange question here lads, but important for myself.

    My wife is due to arrive in Dublin next week from CDG after flying up from GRU, we believe she is exempt from the current visa restrictions as we are married and she has rights here with me as her spouse, she does not have our marriage certificate onhand as it was not issued when she left for Brazil on our supposed honeymoon. I had a stay home due to the ill health of family members and wanted to spend Christmas with them, my wife agreed it was better.

    I want to re-enter Ireland & go through passport control with her in Dublin to argue our case, because due to the lack of information or clarity we have no idea what is what and no one can advise us only "Stay Home" which is not an answer.

    She will be connecting in Paris and her flight is actually sold out so I cannot board her flight unless she was to rebook. This would also involve me having to fly to Paris to board a flight back to Dublin, crazy I know.

    I was thinking, could I book a throw-away flight out of DUB to any destination and then change my mind, would I be escorted out some side-door or would they take me into arrivals to go through passport control?

    Alternatively I could fly into DUB from KIR and wait around 2 hours before her plane arrived in from CDG. AFAIK passengers from KIR and CFN bizarrely have to clear immigration at DUB. I don't know if they would both be in the same terminals or clear through the same immigration channel, in theory it might work but I don't know if it is possible.

    Could anyone advise on how to rendezvous with my spouse airside before she clears immigration or will I have to leave Ireland and go to Paris and return?

    I am aware of all Covid regulations and really I do not want lecturing on covid travel restrictions any-more.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭MrMusician18


    theguzman wrote: »
    Strange question here lads, but important for myself.

    My wife is due to arrive in Dublin next week from CDG after flying up from GRU, we believe she is exempt from the current visa restrictions as we are married and she has rights here with me as her spouse, she does not have our marriage certificate onhand as it was not issued when she left for Brazil on our supposed honeymoon. I had a stay home due to the ill health of family members and wanted to spend Christmas with them, my wife agreed it was better.

    I want to re-enter Ireland & go through passport control with her in Dublin to argue our case, because due to the lack of information or clarity we have no idea what is what and no one can advise us only "Stay Home" which is not an answer.

    She will be connecting in Paris and her flight is actually sold out so I cannot board her flight unless she was to rebook. This would also involve me having to fly to Paris to board a flight back to Dublin, crazy I know.

    I was thinking, could I book a throw-away flight out of DUB to any destination and then change my mind, would I be escorted out some side-door or would they take me into arrivals to go through passport control?

    Alternatively I could fly into DUB from KIR and wait around 2 hours before her plane arrived in from CDG. AFAIK passengers from KIR and CFN bizarrely have to clear immigration at DUB. I don't know if they would both be in the same terminals or clear through the same immigration channel, in theory it might work but I don't know if it is possible.

    Could anyone advise on how to rendezvous with my spouse airside before she clears immigration or will I have to leave Ireland and go to Paris and return?

    I am aware of all Covid regulations and really I do not want lecturing on covid travel restrictions any-more.

    You don't get to choose the advice you receive I'm afraid. Your wife shouldn't have made a non essential journey to Brazil and you have a non essential reason to enter the airport.

    I'm absolutely sick and tired of people looking for their own personal exemption.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1


    theguzman wrote: »
    Strange question here lads, but important for myself.

    My wife is due to arrive in Dublin next week from CDG after flying up from GRU, we believe she is exempt from the current visa restrictions as we are married and she has rights here with me as her spouse, she does not have our marriage certificate onhand as it was not issued when she left for Brazil on our supposed honeymoon. I had a stay home due to the ill health of family members and wanted to spend Christmas with them, my wife agreed it was better.

    I want to re-enter Ireland & go through passport control with her in Dublin to argue our case, because due to the lack of information or clarity we have no idea what is what and no one can advise us only "Stay Home" which is not an answer.

    She will be connecting in Paris and her flight is actually sold out so I cannot board her flight unless she was to rebook. This would also involve me having to fly to Paris to board a flight back to Dublin, crazy I know.

    I was thinking, could I book a throw-away flight out of DUB to any destination and then change my mind, would I be escorted out some side-door or would they take me into arrivals to go through passport control?

    Alternatively I could fly into DUB from KIR and wait around 2 hours before her plane arrived in from CDG. AFAIK passengers from KIR and CFN bizarrely have to clear immigration at DUB. I don't know if they would both be in the same terminals or clear through the same immigration channel, in theory it might work but I don't know if it is possible.

    Could anyone advise on how to rendezvous with my spouse airside before she clears immigration or will I have to leave Ireland and go to Paris and return?

    I am aware of all Covid regulations and really I do not want lecturing on covid travel restrictions any-more.

    Inbound arriving passengers are kept separate at Dublin Airport until they clear passport control. You would have to be on a flight arriving at the exact same time, which would be some feat in itself. You also wouldn’t be able to just hang around before clearing passport, somebody would eventually come up to you.

    Also in T1 there are two passport areas, one in the old US pre clearance and then one after the “Ryanair” gates (Pier D) so even then you wouldn’t be guaranteed to be at the same point.

    Surely she could have her phone to ring you and explain the situation?


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34


    She is not exempt from any restrictions just because her husband is here.

    If you pull some stunt in a fashion you suggest, you will not be merely turned around through Passport control (as you won't have left the jurisdiction) You will likely attract the attention of GNIB on site, who will detain and interview you for a while until they establish your motives, then escort you out of the airport.

    Basically, none of what you said is going to happen.


  • Posts: 18,749 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    Does your wife have a visa to enter?
    Why would you think she is exempt from visa requirements?

    She is definitely not exempt from any covid restrictions.


  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭stopthevoting


    I don't see why you think you should be with her airside. If, as you say, she has rights here, then she should be able to arrive on her own. If there is any issue, then the officers would presumably ask her who is meeting her, and they could come out to talk to you if neccessary, and you could have the marriage cert with you (if it is already issued by now).


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill


    I don't see why you think you should be with her airside. If, as you say, she has rights here, then she should be able to arrive on her own. If there is any issue, then the officers would presumably ask her who is meeting her, and they could come out to talk to you if neccessary, and you could have the marriage cert with you (if it is already issued by now).

    As above. I would add....if you are concerned at your wife's ability to argue her case and you believe she has a legal basis for entering the country then type up a letter stating her case. Sign it and include your mobile number and make mention that you will be waiting in arrivals should this wish to come out to discuss anything with you. Include whatever documentary evidence is necessary to support her case. Email said letter to her in GRU and have her make a paper copy for presentation on arrival.


    Bear in mind she may well be refused carriage in CDG by the airlines representatives.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Davauer


    If you buy a throw away flight she will be in trouble and you will be in trouble. If they want to see documents bring them to airport and they will call you on your phone
    Also flights are not full
    Most are 50% empty


  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭stopthevoting


    After seeing bubblypop's post above, and then doing a query on http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/visa-long-family-irish,
    it would appear to me that she needs a visa.


    "You need a visa for Ireland
    You need a Join Family Visa to join your spouse, partner, family member or child (who is an Irish citizen) living in Ireland, or to accompany them if they are moving to Ireland.
    Your exact preparations depend on your plans and personal circumstances. Some of the most important are described below. Read this information carefully to make sure you have everything you need.
    You are from a visa required country and you wish to join an Irish citizen family member in Ireland for longer than 3 months. Change your answers"

    Her case might be different, but you can check it yourself for the exact circumstances.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere


    This is complex

    1. Visa free travel from Brazil has been terminated, good chance refusal at check in in Brazil

    2. Mandatory quarantine measures are in place for anyone travelling from Brazil

    3. The passenger locator form will reveal the point of origin. The Brazilian authorities exit stamp

    4. PCR test required

    You need to get your house in order, if you can get a certified copy of the marriage certificate sent to Brazil. Bear in mind your wife may find herself at your expense held at a hotel for 14 days.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222


    theguzman wrote: »
    Strange question here lads, but important for myself.

    My wife is due to arrive in Dublin next week from CDG after flying up from GRU, we believe she is exempt from the current visa restrictions as we are married and she has rights here with me as her spouse, she does not have our marriage certificate onhand as it was not issued when she left for Brazil on our supposed honeymoon. I had a stay home due to the ill health of family members and wanted to spend Christmas with them, my wife agreed it was better.

    I want to re-enter Ireland & go through passport control with her in Dublin to argue our case, because due to the lack of information or clarity we have no idea what is what and no one can advise us only "Stay Home" which is not an answer.

    She will be connecting in Paris and her flight is actually sold out so I cannot board her flight unless she was to rebook. This would also involve me having to fly to Paris to board a flight back to Dublin, crazy I know.

    I was thinking, could I book a throw-away flight out of DUB to any destination and then change my mind, would I be escorted out some side-door or would they take me into arrivals to go through passport control?

    Alternatively I could fly into DUB from KIR and wait around 2 hours before her plane arrived in from CDG. AFAIK passengers from KIR and CFN bizarrely have to clear immigration at DUB. I don't know if they would both be in the same terminals or clear through the same immigration channel, in theory it might work but I don't know if it is possible.

    Could anyone advise on how to rendezvous with my spouse airside before she clears immigration or will I have to leave Ireland and go to Paris and return?

    I am aware of all Covid regulations and really I do not want lecturing on covid travel restrictions any-more.

    Not sure what makes you think a local claiming to be another's husband in person is going to overrule any decision passport control might make in refusing entry.

    I'm not fully up to date nor in anyway an expert on Visas but surely if its return trip she arranged a re-entry visa before travelling. State not issuing "new" Visas. Current ones are acceptable.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭sailing


    To be honest, unless she has everything that’s required for entry to Ireland, she won’t make it onto the aircraft in Paris. She’ll be denied boarding.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2


    sailing wrote: »
    To be honest, unless she has everything that’s required for entry to Ireland, she won’t make it onto the aircraft in Paris. She’ll be denied boarding.

    If she's even allowed to fly to Paris.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34


    If she's even allowed to fly to Paris.

    This is quite true. France has, today, banned all non-essential travel to and from non-EU countries, so not only would she be doing well to convince the French authorities to clear her, theres a high liklihood that flights to France won't leave São Paulo for the foreseeable future.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman


    You don't get to choose the advice you receive I'm afraid. Your wife shouldn't have made a non essential journey to Brazil and you have a non essential reason to enter the airport.

    I'm absolutely sick and tired of people looking for their own personal exemption.

    No-one asked your opinion, other people here were perfectly happy to offer their advice without such a condescending manner. She both left Ireland with a legitimate essential need and is returning in the same way.

    The waiting time for a visa is over 6-7 months for those who are required (from March 5th they claim to start issuing them again) and this will most likely be extended) meaning likely it might be out into late Autumn months, I would ask would anyone here be happy to be in a similar situation? It is discrimination plain and simple.

    My reason for being airside with her was act as translator and also to present to her the documentation due to the short-time frame required and flight shutdowns it is impossible to courier it to her by fedex / DHL etc. on time.

    I think alot of people here would be better to go back peeping out their windows than lecturing myself here.


  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭sailing


    theguzman wrote: »
    No-one asked your opinion, other people here were perfectly happy to offer their advice without such a condescending manner. She both left Ireland with a legitimate essential need and is returning in the same way.

    The waiting time for a visa is over 6-7 months for those who are required (from March 5th they claim to start issuing them again) and this will most likely be extended) meaning likely it might be out into late Autumn months, I would ask would anyone here be happy to be in a similar situation? It is discrimination plain and simple.

    My reason for being airside with her was act as translator and also to present to her the documentation due to the short-time frame required and flight shutdowns it is impossible to courier it to her by fedex / DHL etc. on time.

    I think alot of people here would be better to go back peeping out their windows than lecturing myself here.

    I’d tone down your words a little. It’s a complicated scenario and you probably need to contact a State department that deals with this sort of thing rather than looking for advice here.

    One thing I am sure of though is that her troubles will start well before Immigration in Dublin unless she has all of the required documentation for Entry. She won’t make it as far as here if she dosen’t.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭MrMusician18


    theguzman wrote: »
    No-one asked your opinion, other people here were perfectly happy to offer their advice without such a condescending manner. She both left Ireland with a legitimate essential need and is returning in the same way.

    The waiting time for a visa is over 6-7 months for those who are required (from March 5th they claim to start issuing them again) and this will most likely be extended) meaning likely it might be out into late Autumn months, I would ask would anyone here be happy to be in a similar situation? It is discrimination plain and simple.

    My reason for being airside with her was act as translator and also to present to her the documentation due to the short-time frame required and flight shutdowns it is impossible to courier it to her by fedex / DHL etc. on time.

    I think alot of people here would be better to go back peeping out their windows than lecturing myself here.

    You asked for opinions, you don't get to control what you hear.

    Going on honeymoon is not an essential reason.


  • Posts: 18,749 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    theguzman wrote: »
    No-one asked your opinion, other people here were perfectly happy to offer their advice without such a condescending manner. She both left Ireland with a legitimate essential need and is returning in the same way.

    The waiting time for a visa is over 6-7 months for those who are required (from March 5th they claim to start issuing them again) and this will most likely be extended) meaning likely it might be out into late Autumn months, I would ask would anyone here be happy to be in a similar situation? It is discrimination plain and simple.

    My reason for being airside with her was act as translator and also to present to her the documentation due to the short-time frame required and flight shutdowns it is impossible to courier it to her by fedex / DHL etc. on time.

    I think alot of people here would be better to go back peeping out their windows than lecturing myself here.

    So she doesn't have a visa?
    Then she won't be getting in, and as others have pointed out, she will be lucky to get on a plane to France at all.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman


    theguzman wrote: »
    No-one asked your opinion, other people here were perfectly happy to offer their advice without such a condescending manner. She both left Ireland with a legitimate essential need and is returning in the same way.

    The waiting time for a visa is over 6-7 months for those who are required (from March 5th they claim to start issuing them again) and this will most likely be extended) meaning likely it might be out into late Autumn months, I would ask would anyone here be happy to be in a similar situation? It is discrimination plain and simple.

    My reason for being airside with her was act as translator and also to present to her the documentation due to the short-time frame required and flight shutdowns it is impossible to courier it to her by fedex / DHL etc. on time.

    I think alot of people here would be better to go back peeping out their windows than lecturing myself here.

    NO! A lot of people here are sick and tired of obeying all the restrictions, including having their business closed, and then you have the gall to chastise another who questions you and your wifes entitlements! Your wife will be travelling from one of most infected countries on the planet. I seriously hope she is forced to quarantine

    Suck it up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Noxegon


    If you choose to travel in the present climate, even with an essential reason, then you run the risk of getting stuck in another country.

    I agree with the other posters here – for the last few weeks I haven't been able to do my weekly walk around Howth Head because it's more than five kilometres away from my home in Dublin City Centre.

    I have absolutely zero sympathy for those who feel that the rules do not apply to them.

    I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.



  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman


    Pataman wrote: »
    NO! A lot of people here are sick and tired of obeying all the restrictions, including having their business closed, and then you have the gall to chastise another who questions you and your wifes entitlements! Your wife will be travelling from one of most infected countries on the planet. I seriously hope she is forced to quarantine

    Suck it up.

    Ireland is just as bad, you should look up some facts before taking glee in something so serious.


  • Advertisement
  • Posts: 18,749 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    theguzman wrote: »
    Ireland is just as bad, you should look up some facts before taking glee in something so serious.

    Covid restrictions are really a secondary to your wife's visa requirements.
    How would she get here without one?


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭Caranica


    Being married does not automatically confer the right to enter the country. She's from a visa required country and you, or anyone else being there to make her case won't get her in to the country.

    As others have pointed out, chances are she won't get off the ground in Brazil. Next hurdle is not being turned right around in Paris if she makes it that far. It's highly unlikely she'll get as far as Dublin.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222


    theguzman wrote: »
    Ireland is just as bad, you should look up some facts before taking glee in something so serious.

    Leaving Covid restrictions aside, was she or originally both of you expecting to just rock up to passport control with your Irish passport and a marriage cert for her? Surely these Visas or re-entry visa should of been sorted out before departure, which means stupidity is the issue here more so than Covid restrictions.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1


    Does your wife have a visa?

    If not then she won’t be boarding any flight to Ireland or France for that matter.

    Yes the situation might suck for you personally but this whole thing sucks for a LOT of people. I’d be getting mentally prepared to not see her in person for quite some time if no visa.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman


    IE 222 wrote: »
    Leaving Covid restrictions aside, was she or originally both of you expecting to just rock up to passport control with your Irish passport and a marriage cert for her? Surely these Visas or re-entry visa should of been sorted out before departure, which means stupidity is the issue here more so than Covid restrictions.

    Up until Tuesday she was Visa exempt and the Government with no prior warning or anything just suspended visas without as much as a grace period. She has an essential reason to travel despite this and no-one will give us a straight yes or no answer, hence the uncertainty. We have always obeyed rules and did everything to the letter of the law. It is the Government who changed the goalposts not us.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger


    theguzman wrote: »
    No-one asked your opinion, other people here were perfectly happy to offer their advice without such a condescending manner. She both left Ireland with a legitimate essential need and is returning in the same way.
    .......
    ........
    ........
    I think alot of people here would be better to go back peeping out their windows than lecturing myself here.

    You asked for and got an opinion. You have received lots of advice. Not anyone's fault that you don't like the advice and opinions.
    It's a ****ty situation but lots of people are in similar straits.

    the thread title itself is a red flag.

    Thread closed


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Tow


    I don't think she will get out of Brazil without an entry visa to Ireland. They will be checking in the airport. If they are anything like my wife's home country they don't want:
    A The airline fined and having to return her.
    B Their citizens giving the country a bad name.

    I have been in foreign airports armed with marriage certs, and visas. They have books of entry requirements with sample documents issued by each country. Dublin passport control just glance at a visa and are happy.

    This is in normal times, as other have said France have banned entry from non EU countries. Do not be surprised is the flight does not happen.

    When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222


    theguzman wrote: »
    Up until Tuesday she was Visa exempt and the Government with no prior warning or anything just suspended visas without as much as a grace period. She has an essential reason to travel despite this and no-one will give us a straight yes or no answer, hence the uncertainty. We have always obeyed rules and did everything to the letter of the law. It is the Government who changed the goalposts not us.

    How has her visa status changed since Tuesday. She was either entitled to enter and exit the country freely or needed visa/re-entry. If she required a visa to be in the country before departure then she should of had arrangements made to ensure she could re-enter before leaving. Visa are done before entering a country not at passport control. I don't see how the Gov are at fault here.


  • Posts: 18,749 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    theguzman wrote: »
    Up until Tuesday she was Visa exempt and the Government with no prior warning or anything just suspended visas without as much as a grace period. She has an essential reason to travel despite this and no-one will give us a straight yes or no answer, hence the uncertainty. We have always obeyed rules and did everything to the letter of the law. It is the Government who changed the goalposts not us.

    She couldn't be visa exempt, if the suspension of visas is affecting her.


  • Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement