Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your experience of living on or near blarney street

Options
  • 31-01-2021 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi All

I'm not originally from Cork and the only thing I know about areas I havnt lived in is what I've heard in passing.

At the moment I'm thinking of moving into a house on Blarney street at the end closest to the Franciscan well.

I know very little about the area but anything I have heard has had vaguely negative tones.

From what I can tell, some of the areas on the street seem a bit run down.
    On the flip side of that it looks like a few vacant / derelict buildings have been sold to be re developed.

What's your opinion / experience of this area?
    Would it be reasonably safe / pleasant to live here?

Thanks,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi All

I'm not originally from Cork and the only thing I know about areas I havnt lived in is what I've heard in passing.

At the moment I'm thinking of moving into a house on Blarney street at the end closest to the Franciscan well.

I know very little about the area but anything I have heard has had vaguely negative tones.

From what I can tell, some of the areas on the street seem a bit run down.
    On the flip side of that it looks like a few vacant / derelict buildings have been sold to be re developed.

What's your opinion / experience of this area?
    Would it be reasonably safe / pleasant to live here?

Thanks,
    Niece lived on that side for 2years, opposite a pub,vvv busy and noisy, parking a nightmare, opposite side of Blarney St is fine that end if looking to settle with a family I personally wouldn't recommend it, if single or a young couple it's fine, but your car is certainly going to lose a mirror minium between passing cars or drunks

Ps my nieces fella is a local but still couldn't wait to move

• Registered Users Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's grand, a bit rough around the edges but nothing crazy.
    You are probably aware that it is mostly only on street parking - just as almost every city centre street. If that's an issue, it's not for you.

Expect people who have never lived there and don't know the area to tell you that it's really rough and dangerous. I've lived in that general area for over 20 years and have never had bother.

It's so close to the city centre. I think it's a great location.

It's grand, a bit rough around the edges but nothing crazy.
    You are probably aware that it is mostly only on street parking - just as almost every city centre street. If that's an issue, it's not for you.

Expect people who have never lived there and don't know the area to tell you that it's really rough and dangerous. I've lived in that general area for over 20 years and have never had bother.

It's so close to the city centre. I think it's a great location.

True but other end of Blarney st is a different world,
    what the town side has it's v convenient to town but seriously noisy at night time especially if you've got young kids and not used to it, worked the door of the well for years so know the area pretty good, neighbourly and mostly lot of rentals

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SurplusToys

True but other end of Blarney st is a different world,
    what the town side has it's v convenient to town but seriously noisy at night time especially if you've got young kids and not used to it, worked the door of the well for years so know the area pretty good, neighbourly and mostly lot of rentals

Thanks,

Are you saying that the side of blarney street towards Fitzgerald park is less neighbourly?

Thanks,

Are you saying that the side of blarney street towards Fitzgerald park is less neighbourly?

Are you confusing Sunday's Well Road with Blarney Street?

Blarney Street starts on Shandon Street and runs almost to Blarney.
    Sunday's Well is safe by anyone's standards, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I know of 2 couples have purchased properties on the left hand side of the hill going up. The view from the back is sensational and we were definitely considering buying on Blarney st ourselves, the properties are pretty decent too. Probably more working class than posh but I know of many professionals working in the Mercy & UCC who live on Blarney st, maybe more towards to the bottom end. It's not for everyone but worth considering if you have an open mind.

Are you confusing Sunday's Well Road with Blarney Street?

I very well may be.

I'm wondering how shandon street side of blarney street would compare to further down the street away from the City

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    I know of 2 couples have purchased properties on the left hand side of the hill going up. The view from the back is sensational and we were definitely considering buying on Blarney st ourselves, the properties are pretty decent too. Probably more working class than posh but I know of many professionals working in the Mercy & UCC who live on Blarney st, maybe more towards to the bottom end. It's not for everyone but worth considering if you have an open mind.

Honestly I wouldnt be bothered with the class of residents.
    I'd only really care about things like
    my fiancé feeling safe if she was walking home by herself or people randomly damaging property for the laugh.

I lived on magazine road before in a street side house and the abuse we had to endure from passerbys was horrendous. Trying to avoid that type of thing.

I very well may be.

I'm wondering how shandon street side of blarney street would compare to further down the street away from the City

It's grand.
    The further away from town you get, the more settled it is.
    I'd happily live on the near end of Blarney Street if I didn't love where I live, already.

Honestly I wouldnt be bothered with the class of residents.
    I'd only really care about things like
    my fiancé feeling safe if she was walking home by herself or people randomly damaging property for the laugh.

I lived on magazine road before in a street side house and the abuse we had to endure from passerbys was horrendous. Trying to avoid that type of thing.

Yeah magazine rd, college Road etc,any college rental area gets this ****e

• Advertisement

Thanks,

Think there's a bit of confusion here I was on about the ppl on the city side of Blarney St being neighbourly, far end the same I painted a few houses ppl were sound

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Theres a right scumbag family living at the upper end of Blarney St. Kids riding quad bikes on the footpath etc.

Theres a right scumbag family living at the upper end of Blarney St. Kids riding quad bikes on the footpath etc.

Feck they must be mad, blame the parents not the kids

Advertisement