Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord visitation rights during Covid Lockdown

Options
  • 31-01-2021 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering what rights do landlords have during the lockdown when it comes to checking the premises of the property they are letting to people?

Are they completely blocked from visiting a premises until the lockdown is lifted?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭dennyk

Visiting the property to conduct a legitimate regular inspection or for necessary maintenance and repair would likely be considered an essential journey and thus would be allowed.

If you're asking as the tenant and you have health concerns (tenants who are vulnerable, etc.), you can try to work with the landlord to see if their inspection can be delayed, and if not, to make arrangements to protect the health of the vulnerable tenant (wearing proper PPE, doing the inspection as quickly as possible, and not entering the room where the vulnerable tenant is isolating, etc.).

If you're asking as the landlord, you should consider whether an inspection is truly necessary right now, and consider postponing it if it's not, or perhaps ask your tenant to send you some pictures or video if you have some area of particular concern you're wanting to check on. If you must go inspect in person, then be certain to wear a proper mask and gloves, don't touch anything inside the property unless absolutely necessary, keep your visit as short as possible, and if the tenants ask you to stay out of a particular room because there is a vulnerable person isolating in there, respect that request.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi there,

Just wondering what rights do landlords have during the lockdown when it comes to checking the premises of the property they are letting to people?

Are they completely blocked from visiting a premises until the lockdown is lifted?

Thanks

It can depend on the reason.
    Is it essential?
    Is it to check a repair, check a fault or check damage that effects the tenant?

It would also depend on who the tenant is, how many living in the property, age, vulnerability etc

Basically, if I was a LL, i'd assess if the visit is required or can I put it off until restrictions ease, and if not then how can I make the visit as safe as possible.

Advertisement