Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with sockets and main RCB

Options
  • 31-01-2021 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

About a week ago I noticed when I got home that the power had tripped in the house. Main RCB kept tripping unless I turned off the trip switch for the sockets upstairs on one half of the house.

Any idea why the sockets would cause the main RCB to trip? If I flip on the switch on now, the main RCB goes. Nothing is plugged into the sockets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Its usually something that's connected or plugged in ,in that scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Malcomex wrote: »
    Its usually something that's connected or plugged in ,in that scenario

It’s weird because I’ve unplugged everything. And it’s only on 1 half of the upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It’s weird because I’ve unplugged everything. And it’s only on 1 half of the upstairs.

Could have some spur off the sockets. Electric heater, towel rack, fan,. Fried rat..

listermint wrote: »
    Could have some spur off the sockets. Electric heater, towel rack, fan,. Fried rat..

Or an external security light? Would that cause it?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭eireyiddo

Bad connection at a socket over time maybe arcing and now has damaged socket on the circuit or a furry friend had a gobble of the cable. I'd start at getting sparkie out. He'll find it quick enough if u no where your losing power. Part i don't understand is u say only half is effected, now with RCD on is half not working? Or is it tripping the MCB that supplies half upstairs??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭eireyiddo

Or an external security light? Would that cause it?

Yes cos it shouldn't be wired off a socket

Ya check all plugs physically removed and switches off

Any outside wiring could be a cause too as said

I’ll take a look at the sockets and see if there’s anything obvious when I take them off. Otherwise it’s onto the pros :)

I’ll take a look at the sockets and see if there’s anything obvious when I take them off. Otherwise it’s onto the pros :)

Next step is test the circuit and locate the fault if there is one

Don't loosen off all the sockets

You start by disconnecting one halfway and see which side the fault is, separating 2 browns might be enough. If you're competent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Check that your immersion is switched off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement