Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening Credits.

Options
  • 30-01-2021 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Does anyone watch them. There's no longer any MASH or Dallas type opening credits. The only one I always stay s the beginning of its always sunny in philadelphia.

I don't know why.

Any others worth watching. (Apart from GoT).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Thinking back about any I didn't go outta my way to skip and my first thought was Daredevil just cos I liked the theme tune..

The OG Credits

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gemancy

I always liked the opening credits for The Good Wife and OITNB...oh, and Home & Away of course :pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Baywatch. Always Baywatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Only fools

Curb

• Advertisement

Magnum was a a classic also. Choone.

Mostly no effort put in these days as people just skip them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

glasso wrote: »
    Magnum was a a classic also. Choone.

Mostly no effort put in these days as people just skip them

Virtually anything done by Mike Post. The Rockford Files and Hill Street Blues to name another couple.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s a dying art on US network TV and has been for about 20 years, I suppose it takes away viewer attention from important stuff like characters and plot, or even more important stuff like adverts and promos.

Not quite dead though, the likes of HBO and Netflix still go for the full length title sequence. Two of the best I’ve seen in recent years are His Dark Materials and Star Trek Picard. Kimmy Schmidt if you’re looking for a catchy theme song.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Mad Men is one example I can think of, of a relatively recent show with a long opening sequence.

Baywatch. Always Baywatch.

Absolutely iconic and essential opening credits - over-produced late 80's/ early 90's with custom-written power ballad

Derided it may be it was a truly massive pop culture influence at the time - 1.1 BILLION WEEKLY VIEWERS in 148 countries and translated into 44 languages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I love opening credits and if they are good, I'll always sit through them! Off the top of my head I'd recommend:

Banshee - amazing in that the images changed slightly every episode to give slight clues to the mysterious plot.

Cowboy Bebop - perfect mix of killer tune and gorgeous visuals.

True Detective - wasn't always a fan of each season, but the opening credits were super cool and atmospheric.

Succession - it was the tune that stuck in my head, but I loved the mix of visuals too. Great theme.

Carnivàle - distinctive, old-timey and unsettling, just like the show.

Halt and Catch Fire - super short, but insanely cool, the perfect encapsulation of the show with its 80s synth-midi music and gorgeous light trip inside a PC.

Batman The Animated Series - stone cold classic. The balls to have a kids show and not even put the title of the show in the credits. Iconic!

On the flip side, I loved the music in the opening credits of Battlestar Galactica, but hated the fact that they'd also squeeze in quick clips from the upcoming episode during the credits. Spoiler alert! Could only ever watch it when re-watching the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

My wife hates them; when they're done well, I love them: "They're part of the narrative" I cry out when I insist on watching the good ones; offhand, The Sopranos, Succession, Boardwalk Empire, Yellowstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,390 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I really liked the credits for The Affair on Showtime

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm happy to watch the title sequence of a new show but I'm delighted with the advent of the skip button in the age of streaming.

I can only think of a handful of times where watching a title sequence and subsequent credits have added to my viewing experience. There were certainly a lot more cases of them having the opposite effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For years any time I started watching a HBO show, I would expect the Sopranos theme right after the HBO logo. Now it switches between Sopranos and GoT.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭Penn

HBO and Netflix usually do pretty great opening credits. The likes of Game of Thrones or the changing themes of The Wire each season to reflect the main story of that season really helped set the mood. Bojack Horseman's credits were sublime. Most of the Marvel Netflix ones were great too, but I particularly loved The Defenders intro.

I think most regular TV stations in America just isn't willing to spend that much time or effort on them nowadays. That said, I rarely ever skip them, even on Netflix. Unless there's something particularly egregious or annoying about them, I'll just let them play on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

On the flip side, I loved the music in the opening credits of Battlestar Galactica, but hated the fact that they'd also squeeze in quick clips from the upcoming episode during the credits. Spoiler alert! Could only ever watch it when re-watching the show.

Do not watch the credits of any show ever produced by Gerry Anderson, ever! They all do that. (Tonight’s Episode!)

Was actually common in US TV shows in the 1980s to do something similar, but not usually part of the opening credits - more in place of a cold open.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

icdg wrote: »
    Do not watch the credits of any show ever produced by Gerry Anderson, ever! They all do that. (Tonight’s Episode!)

Was actually common in US TV shows in the 1980s to do something similar, but not usually part of the opening credits - more in place of a cold open.

I think the only Gerry Anderson show I ever tried was Space Precinct! But I totally get what you mean. Maybe with BSG it was a call-back to the older shows, but it used to drive me nuts!

And on the movie front, I remember having a mini-stroke during the opening credits of all the Mission Impossible movies, which did the same thing, I'm guessing as a nod to the original show perhaps?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

HBO do great opening credits. The Sopranos and The Wire great. Two others that I’m fond of are Six Feet Under and The Deuce (I think The Deuce changed it up a bit every season but they were all good). The imagery and music capture the mood and tone of the shows. I always watch these ones to the end.

Advertisement