Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to prepare Green chillies ?

Options
  • 30-01-2021 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

I've got some bog-standard green chillies from Tesco ( https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=253553948 )
    I was assuming that I could just eat them raw but then I noticed on the packet (and on the link above)
    'Do not touch without gloves.
    Skin irritant.'
    How am I supposed to eat them I they can't touch my skin !! Presumably the skin inside my mouth is, if anything, even more sensitive than my external skin.
    Or does this apply only when they are uncooked, if so what cooking is required ?

Or is this just nonsense to cover their ass in case someone is allergic to chillies ?

Thanks,

Zozo.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's OTT advice.

When you are preparing chillis, just ensure that you thoroughly wash your hands before touching your face or your eyes or anything like that, otherwise it will sting like hell. If you've cuts or anything on your hands it'll sting obviously.

You can of course eat them raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

And definitely wash b4 going for a pee, junior could get stung, presuming ur male

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Theres a public health advert in one of the States of Germany at the moment which says, no kidding..

"Wash your hands like you just handled chillis and you intend to masturbate"

That is certainly good advice, but they're not plutonium. Slice them in half, use the tip of the knife to strip and bin the seeds, then chop them nice a small. Fry with a bit of garlic and oil for the basis of loads of tasty winter warmers.

Forget the gloves, just wash your paws thoroughly with soap and water after, not a bother will you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ZoZoZo

Okay, thanks. I guess I'll just try some raw.

I do still find the advice odd, if I had to rate body parts in terms of the most sensitive I would have thought:

Eyes > cock > tongue > face

But the advice seems to suggest that tongue is fine but face is a no-no.

On the suggestion of frying them, is this just for taste or does it impact how hot/irritating they might be ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I mean, you can put raw chillis on your tongue, you just might not enjoy it...

My best advice is let someone else deal with chopping the chillis :) OR hold them by the stalk end if you're slicing them into rings... Very fresh chillis are nice and firm to slice, as are partially frozen ones...

• Advertisement

Your tongue would be fine, you’ve probably eaten raw chilli more times than you could count. You can drink to relieve the burn.

Your face or your piece is a different story. It’s not going to do any damage but it will sting like hell :)

I scratched my nose once after chopping chillis, literally had to coat my nose in some yogurt. Don’t do it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Why do you want to eat raw chillis? As a snack?

I occasionally slice raw chillis and use them to add heat to a dish that I've made mild on purpose for a child. You could also add them to a salad dressing. But why else would you eat them raw?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ZoZoZo

. But why else would you eat them raw?

For medical reasons I'm quite restricted in what I can eat so I prefer to carry my own food with me rather than risk eating food prepared by someone else. I can't cook on the go so its generally raw food and I stick to fruit/veg/nuts so I can be absolutely sure what's in them. So to have a varied diet I try to find as many foods as I can that fit the bill of:
    - travel well
    - can be eaten raw with zero preparation
    Looks like chilies might fit the bill provided I can eat them just like I would chopped carrot/cucumber/brocolli

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No way I'd be snacking on raw chillies, seems a bit odd to me, but whatever floats your boat. If you want something like that, I'd imagine green capsicum/bell pepper would be more palatable.

ZoZoZo wrote: »
    For medical reasons I'm quite restricted in what I can eat so I prefer to carry my own food with me rather than risk eating food prepared by someone else. I can't cook on the go so its generally raw food and I stick to fruit/veg/nuts so I can be absolutely sure what's in them. So to have a varied diet I try to find as many foods as I can that fit the bill of:
    - travel well
    - can be eaten raw with zero preparation
    Looks like chilies might fit the bill provided I can eat them just like I would chopped carrot/cucumber/brocolli
    You can eat them raw but it won’t be pleasant to eat them like a stick of carrot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement