Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Height for Camper Conversion

Options
  • 30-01-2021 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I'm converting a 2003 transit minibus to a camper. It's a MWB medium roof height.

I have 5ft 4in floor to ceiling and I need at least 6ft. This specific height is not mentioned on revenue or vrt websites but rather a potential SQI engineer said this to me today. Does anyone have a definitive answer on this? I'd tend to take the info from revenue saying an "average height" person must be able to move around comfortably while standing, but then there's little point arguing with them if I push on with the work without addressing the height issue and they refuse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There is no specific 1.8m minimum required for Revenue, it’s most of the insurers that have an issue.
    You’ll probably need to use the motorcaravan club for insurance, so for a new build you’ll need to use their SQI for their own check, so don’t end up paying 2 different SQIs

There are 1 or 2 companies other than the MCC scheme covering low roof campers, but they would be my first port of call, particularly since you’re still building.

We did a low roof Transit and it was no problem registering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CoadyC86

Thanks Colm. I've seen insurance companies require 1.8mtrs alright and I assumed that revenue would have been very specific if they required the same. The guy kind of threw me yesterday and he was full sure I needed the height for revenue. Project was nearly scrapped as a result, pop up / high roofs are way too expensive!

Any other advice in terms of paperwork you can offer?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The paperwork for revenue is a actually quite straightforward.
    I would make contact with the MCC as a first step, they have certain things they want and don’t want on campers, so best to trash those out at the early stages.
    Again they’re not the only show in town for insurance, but they do a very good policy that covers social and domestic and other stuff that’s hard to get elsewhere, so I’d use their SQI and get his advice, it gives you freedom to shop a few insurers anyway.

Your current SQI is using very out of date information ref roof height.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Our specification used to include 1.8m but we are aligned with EU specification now which makes no such requirement.

Revenue now say Primarily a caravan should provide mobile living accommodation where a person (of average height) can move around comfortably while standing.

Stuarts have been accommodating for others in the same situation worth trying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

The insurance brokers get every kind of chancer trying it on the get cheap insurance and road tax for their commercial van or bus used to drive around their sound gear and band. So they have kept the 1.8m rule. If you approach them nicely show that it's a camper for holidays and not a commercial venture they will probably help you. Like wise the MCC get all kinds of dreamers and chancers so approach them nicely. Have photos of the van and work done so far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement