Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Birth year watches

• 30-01-2021 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭

Don't want to give my age away :), but thinking of getting a birth year watch from 1971 for a significant birthday in june. Not particularly wedded to a brand - maybe a classic omega? Budget around €2k.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭893bet

I have thought about it, but unless you are into vintage what’s the point.

The fact that the watch was made or sold (which is also a conundrum as birth year as it may be made in 1970 and sold in 1971) in the same year as I was? What’s the point? I had no connection with the watch then. I would have more connection with a watch I bought brand new for my bday.

So rather than trying to find a watch from the year You were born and settle for It I would just look to buy a special watch for your 50th.

893bet wrote: »

The fact that the watch was made or sold (which is also a conundrum as birth year as it may be made in 1970 and sold in 1971) in the same year as I was? What’s the point? I had no connection with the watch then. I would have more connection with a watch I bought brand new for my bday.

So rather than trying to find a watch from the year You were born and settle for It I would just look to buy a special watch for your 50th.

Yeah have thought about that as well. I like the like of a oris aquis own a big crown already and love it. will have a look in thread and see what's there for my budget. Unless any suggestions spring to mind :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Well that's my Saturday afternoon written off :)

Ooooh this is pretty

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/geneve-automatic-ref-166070-circa-1971--id11415563.htm
    It is PF, but always be careful about sizing. Watches were with a few exception smaller back then. Hell people tended to be smaller too. :D So that Omega is 35mm, a small size for a man today. These days 38mm could be considered "small" by some and 40mm would be generally around the size people look to. Now I've vintage sized wrists(under 6.5 inches around) so can get away with that, but for more well built gentleman it could look a bit like he's wearing a boy's size.

Now handily the early 70's was when men's watch sizes started to grow, both because of fashion and technology changes afoot at the time, so you also have a watch like this Omega Mematic at 40mm

13222704-xnn0i0o5g4x8jcmj68qe5hly-ExtraLarge.jpg

Built in alarm which is kinda cool.

Or this Seamaster at 39mm.

18173432-3dsycab90l9guevvz8oopu7a-ExtraLarge.jpg

Or this Longines Diver at 41mm

18165916-psavycpcrx35q4bd2q1xw67p-ExtraLarge.jpg

Fantastic and advanced for the time movement in these and built like a tank, though I've seen better condition examples for that price or less.

As you can see they tend to share similar case design elements of their time. Which may or may not appeal. Other concerns with vintage are servicing. Assume it'll need one unless the dealer specifically states it's had one. Secondly unless you get it as part of a service and seals are still available assume no water resistance, though "diver" watches can be usually made to pass 50 metre levels. Also be very aware of any taxes and duties incurred when buying beyond the EU, so restrict yourself to EU sellers.

Advantages? Well you're getting a watch from the time you were born that reflects that era and that appeals to some. I would NOT treat one as an investment, those days when you could buy a watch today for 500 quid for it to be worth 5000 quid five years later are pretty much passed, but you're unlikely to lose money if you come to sell it down the line. The supply is obviously finite and unless a load of collectors decide to get out of the hobby and flood the market is likely to stay that way.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that much appreciated

There's truth in that too.
    The fact that the watch was made or sold (which is also a conundrum as birth year as it may be made in 1970 and sold in 1971) in the same year as I was?
    True enough too. I've had a fair few watches that were made in one year and were sold years later. The latest addition to my hoard was exclusively made in 1988 and only a thousand were made in that year to boot, yet the one I found was finally sold in the mid 90's. I've a couple that I got as new old stock made in 1975 and never sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That blue dial seamaster is really cool. Really captures a lot of the 70's watch designs and wouldn't look out of place today. Very nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I like the idea of a birth year watch.

That's why I went Omega hunting.

I got a vintage Mark II that's within the range for my birth year, and given its development and heritage, it means something to me.

I have a big birthday coming up soon, and it is nice to think that I'll have a vintage piece to wear that is the same vintage.

I am currently enjoying playing with strap and bracelet options to see what I like.

It came with the 1162 bracelet, but I like the look of both a mesh and a few other options.

I say if you like the concept and vintage, then go for it, there are bargains to be had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,023 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I did similar but not in the same league as you guys.

Bought a Timex Sprite for very little money.

Love that Omega in the Chrono24 link, the strap suits the face perfectly. A beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭OldRio

I think the point is, for some, although not yourself, it's kinda cool to wear something that was made about the same time you are born.
    Men don't wear much jewellery and having a conversation piece is rather good. IMHO.
    I've been looking for something myself. Unfortunately 1958 is rather more Vintage than Classic, which is reflected in the price. Rather like myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Had a go for the craic - I think the universe is trying to tell me something, all I can hear is train noises :eek:

541532.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭OldRio

Wibbs wrote: »

Brilliant, thank you.

Only one problem for myself.

Herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,724 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

david wrote: »
    Had a go for the craic - I think the universe is trying to tell me something, all I can hear is train noises

That's not just a train, that's the Orient Express, first class phase 4 ticket :p

david wrote: »
    Had a go for the craic - I think the universe is trying to tell me something, all I can hear is train noises :eek:
    Funny, all I'm hearing is really bad modern rap music. :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Funny, all I'm hearing is really bad modern rap music. :p:D

Haha that's likely a lot more accurate! If I ever decide to pursue a career running "commodities" on the Florida keys I'll know where to start! Now where's my ivory linen suit and floral print shirt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

you also have a watch like this Omega Mematic[/URL] at 40mm

13222704-xnn0i0o5g4x8jcmj68qe5hly-ExtraLarge.jpg

Built in alarm which is kinda cool.

Would love a Memomatic myself ! :D very cool watch with the 980 cal movement, derived from the Lemania 2980. My favorite is the orange variant

WWOSMGO-1.jpg

Pity we can't choose our birth years :(:D

Ohhh the orange is niiiice. Can't go wrong with extra orange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I have a Bulova accutron as a 69 birth year watch. Cutting edge technology from the sixties. It hums at 360 hz, it second hand sweeps,it's a throwback to another time.
    It's travelled from 69 to my wrist in 2019, I don't know it's journey as well as I do mine, but they meet after fifty years.
    They're cheap, i picked up another lovely one from 74 for 150 euros on eBay, I'll pm you the seller if you like.
    So pick a birth year and another new watch and you'll be set for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Just get a birth year Atmos clock - (mine is a '69 one btw NJB :P ) - made from the 20s to today - everyone is bound to be in that range :pac:

As for an 80s watch - this one stood out - perhaps something Fitz might be interested in :D?

17256394-dqfcjpj29afmjr95n4p4tevb-ExtraLarge.jpg

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/rolex-air-king-dominos-pizza--id17256751.htm

Going through 10 pages of C24 watches I didn't actually spot anything that really caught my eye - I guess my year was somewhat of a dud then...

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Just get a birth year Atmos clock - (mine is a '69 one btw NJB :P ) - made from the 20s to today
    Yes I saw that, it's a lovely piece, you had me looking them up. I showed your wife's pearlmaster to my wife, and got orders to buy her a watch.not an easy task, but the hunt is most of the fun.

Same goes for the op, whatever the year is look up some watches from that year and pick one, I've been giving my brother's birth year watches for their birthdays, prima6 does some nice 70s and 80s seikos on adverts.ie.He services them himself before sale. I bought an 81 seiko 5 from him last month and am sending him a 70s sportsmatic to strip and service.

+1 on Accutrons. They're a great birth year watch for anyone under 60 and over 40 odd. Easily dateable by the number on the back, one of the most innovative horological advances ever, cool conversation piece and can outside of rare models be had for remarkably little money.

The state of the case and wristband on the elvis watch. The case and bracelet must have been gold or chrome plated brass. Case back is stainless and perfect.

Do they all go like that once the plating fails? I thought it was marine quality brass they used on watches, the saving being on killing the softer material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I have had a couple of birth year watches over the years but the idea of getting myself a notable one for my big birthday this year is taking seed. The omega flightmaster is my current fancy but it changes.

Advertisement