Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal Fees

Options
  • 29-01-2021 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

My grandparents are looking to downsize, well it’s not smaller but it’s all on one floor. So just trying to get an idea of how much to budget for fees and costs involved. Price of house is €350k and there’s no mortgage involved.

Am I anywhere close thinking about €5k approx. Their house is worth €375k ish we think so looking to do the whole move without adding extra cash

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 TattooedLady

Gael23 wrote: »
    My grandparents are looking to downsize, well it’s not smaller but it’s all on one floor. So just trying to get an idea of how much to budget for fees and costs involved. Price of house is €350k and there’s no mortgage involved.

Am I anywhere close thinking about €5k approx. Their house is worth €375k ish we think so looking to do the whole move without adding extra cash

We are buying and selling at the minute. Our legal fees including stamp duty on a 226k house is around 6500.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I paid 1200 fee + 0 outlays + 276 VAT = 1,476 to sell a house in 2019.

To buy, I think I paid 950 fee + outlays + VAT, maybe 2.5k???

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shreko

Closed our sale today on a €300k house. Total fees, outlay and stamp duty came to €5015

• Registered Users Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

shreko wrote: »
    Closed our sale today on a €300k house. Total fees, outlay and stamp duty came to €5015

why'd you pay stamp duty on a sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Estate agents will charge 1% upwards for selling their house . theres €3750 gone straight away .

New purchase will have stamp duty .

Plus the solicitor fee for selling and buying .

The final cost will be €10k +

Edit . New purchase will probably need a Surveyors report done.
    The removal company for the move , will they sell and buy on the same day or will the furniture need to go into storage ,all the little extras add up .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

“Closed our sale”. Not “ sold our house”?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

joeysoap wrote: »
    “Closed our sale”. Not “ sold our house”?

was actually gonna edit my post after i re-read and realised what POV you were coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I gave serious though to downsizing a few years ago , I figured 10k too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Juwwi wrote: »

Edit . New purchase will probably need a Surveyors report done.
    The removal company for the move , will they sell and buy on the same day or will the furniture need to go into storage ,all the little extras add up .

There’s 230 metres between the 2 houses, it’s just on the next street so will look to hire a van for a day if possible, would be a waste of money paying a removal company.
    Would you need a surveyors report when there is no mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Juwwi

There’s 230 metres between the 2 houses, it’s just on the next street so will look to hire a van for a day if possible, would be a waste of money paying a removal company.
    Would you need a surveyors report when there is no mortgage?

No , but l would expect the solicitor will recommend getting one, they aren't that expensive in the grand scheme of things .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shreko

Juwwi wrote: »
    Estate agents will charge 1% upwards for selling their house . theres €3750 gone straight away .

Is the house in a desirable area and might sell quickly? Would you consider a private sale?
    We bought our house in a private sale and saved the seller the auctioneers fees. We just heard about it through word of mouth and called them and asked to see it.

Our engineers report cost €350

shreko wrote: »
    Is the house in a desirable area and might sell quickly? Would you consider a private sale?
    We bought our house in a private sale and saved the seller the auctioneers fees. We just heard about it through word of mouth and called them and asked to see it.

Our engineers report cost €350

It’s an older settled area where houses don’t come up very often. I think with Covid and their age a private sale isn’t really an option. They are fully tuned in and that but I’ve seen estate epagents now doing video tours for properties so only serious buyers come for an in person viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 abechan

Use https://www.onlineestateagent.ie/ as your selling agent. Their fees are only 1K. That is fairly reasonable since all EA do is just take photos, post on daft and the viewing.

abechan wrote: »
    Use https://www.onlineestateagent.ie/ as your selling agent. Their fees are only 1K. That is fairly reasonable since all EA do is just take photos, post on daft and the viewing.

There’s a few hidden charges but they are still much cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

strange how people will try to repair their own car/tv/fridge/washing machine
    buying and selling a house is easier than any of the above yet very few people are willing to give it a go

beaufoy wrote: »
    strange how people will try to repair their own car/tv/fridge/washing machine
    buying and selling a house is easier than any of the above yet very few people are willing to give it a go

With COVID and older people it’s all the more important to put it in an agents hands

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

With COVID and older people it’s all the more important to put it in an agents hands

strange logic

Advertisement