Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Always use a battery grip

Options
  • 29-01-2021 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭

I just had a spurious tripod plate embed itself on to my camera grip, eventually got it off with damage to the €440 battery grip and not the €3000 camera.

I've always used battery grips for a few reasons. Obvious one being more battery life, better portrait handling, but the other reasons are battery corrosion, tripod plate issues like the above and general protection from the daily bumps and knocks the camera gets.

Just ordered a proper manfrotto plate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

My grips are nearly always on my cameras. It's just easier. Even if I'm tripod shooting, I just disengage the plate and grab the camera.

I've never had trouble getting a mount if the camera or grip, though. (I have had a problem, once, getting a grip of a camera... the bloody thing cross-threaded... how I have no idea)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Heebie wrote: »
    My grips are nearly always on my cameras. It's just easier. Even if I'm tripod shooting, I just disengage the plate and grab the camera.

I've never had trouble getting a mount if the camera or grip, though. (I have had a problem, once, getting a grip of a camera... the bloody thing cross-threaded... how I have no idea)

I bought cheap. Buy cheap = buy twice. (and loose an expensive battery grip)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

When I worked I had a 5d with one on and a 1dmk3, but now I dont use them. Dont see the need for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Dartz

Added a battery gripe/winder to my F-1. It's been living there since March last year and it's not been taking off.

Bulky and heavy, but it feels monumentally secure and good in the hand. Even with the winder battery's dead the hand-grip alone is worth it for comfort's sake.

It'll also work as a crumple-zone in the event of a gravitational incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I've never used my grip.

Is there really a differance in using one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Is there really a differance in using one?

Once you get used to using it, yes.
    No more twisting your wrists into uncomfortable positions to get vertical shots. Twice the battery life is great, too.
    I've shot and entire week long holiday, about 1,800 shots, without a battery change before... Just the in-camera and in-grip. (Obviously no built-in flash use)

Advertisement