Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity to Shed

Options
  • 29-01-2021 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in the (postponed) process of getting an office shed built at the end of my garden and am looking for advice on what I'll need to do to wire it for power. I'll get some electricians in when I can again so just trying to get a handle on what the process is likely to be. I've talked to one electrician that said they wouldn't come out until I've a 2 foot trench dug to bury the wires but my builder was surprised by this as he's built similar before that didn't need a trench.

The shed will be 30-40m from the house. Circuit boards is inside the front door but there's already one redundant line running to the bathroom at the back of the house (line for old electric heater that's been replaced by central heating) and a line running to the existing shed (attached to the house) for power sockets. I assume these could be repurposed but obviously an electrician will advise when they see the setup. Shed will be a office + general usage space. Shouldn't be a huge power demand but I'd like to be able to do something like add a deep freeze in the future.

My main question is if I'm likely to need to dig this trench? Is there an above ground option?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

You'd need a wall to clip the SWA to , otherwise bury it

You'll have to come.from the main board with a new cable possibly ran along the side of the house and then buried

Be 6sq minimum and probably 10sq

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Malcomex wrote: »
    You'd need a wall to clip the SWA to , otherwise bury it

You'll have to come.from the main board with a new cable possibly ran along the side of the house and then buried

Be 6sq minimum and probably 10sq

Cheers. Was thinking there must be another solution other than burying it.

We're in a terrace so can't run a cable beside the house. No chance of reusing the unused cable going to the bathroom no? Would save us having to lift floorboards or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

xckjoo wrote: »

We're in a terrace so can't run a cable beside the house. No chance of reusing the unused cable going to the bathroom no? Would save us having to lift floorboards or similar.

They're prob 2.5 so no good for your requirements there 30-40m away

You'll have to go through the house with a new cable or up the attic and down the back of the house

Up and down the attic adds extra length so goes into the calculations for cable sizing

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Was the unused cable originally for an electric shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

aido79 wrote: »
    Was the unused cable originally for an electric shower?

No it was an electric blow heater.

Cheers for the advice guys. Looks like I won't have to dig a trench. The wiring through the house I'll have to figure out with the electrician when I find one. It's an old house so layout is a bit jinky. Maybe we can use the same path at that line that goes to the bathroom. I'll have to figure out what that is but it's at a good spot to take out into the garden

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

No it was an electric blow heater.

Cheers for the advice guys. Looks like I won't have to dig a trench. The wiring through the house I'll have to figure out with the electrician when I find one. It's an old house so layout is a bit jinky. Maybe we can use the same path at that line that goes to the bathroom. I'll have to figure out what that is but it's at a good spot to take out into the garden

It's not suitable so.

As you need a 6mm or 10mm cable it's very unlikely that you can follow the same path as the bathroom cable. It will most likely need new holes drilled in the joists.

Advertisement