Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Factory Reset on Router Question

Options
  • 29-01-2021 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭

Ok have a TP Link Archer C9 router and I have the Virgin media modem bridged connected to it

So the password was standard admin admin however I changed it and I cannot remember it. So the only option would be to do factory reset

So don't want to do this as not sure how it will affect the broadband? Is it a case that once reset I would have to go back in again and change the DHCP Settings to something like the below:
    Start IP Address: 192.168.1.100
    End IP Address: 192.168.1.199

Anything else I would need to change so there is no issue with the broadband?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The router is still going to get it's basic details via DHCP from VM, e.g. the external IP, DNS values and the like.

The DHCP settings you're referring to are the range of addresses the Archer would give out to your internal devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Spear wrote: »
    The router is still going to get it's basic details via DHCP from VM, e.g. the external IP, DNS values and the like.

The DHCP settings you're referring to are the range of addresses the Archer would give out to your internal devices.

Thanks

In not tech / lay man talk it should not affect the Broadband if I do a factory reset so that I can login to router settings ?

Thats what I want to do but cause little if any disruption to the BB/Wifi in the house

With lockdown the screams in the house would bring me down if the BB went down for long :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thanks

In not tech / lay man talk it should not affect the Broadband if I do a factory reset so that I can login to router settings ?

Thats what I want to do but cause little if any disruption to the BB/Wifi in the house

With lockdown the screams in the house would bring me down if the BB went down for long :rolleyes:

No, basic functionality shouldn't change. You'd need to re-add any custom stuff, like other DNS servers, port forwarding etc.

No, basic functionality shouldn't change. You'd need to re-add any custom stuff, like other DNS servers, port forwarding etc.

Cheers not done any of the above but based on the post

Guide - Getting the most out of your high speed Virgin Media (UPC) 240mb/s service

I followed the below when I was setting it up many moons ago. So this would not be necessary?

Ok, so my new router has arrived, how do I set it up with UPC?

Note: These instructions are the steps I used to set up my Archer C7, however they should more or less apply to all similar routers.

1) Power on your new router, but don't connect it to the UPC modem yet.
    2) Directly connect by ethernet from your PC to the new router.
    3) Connect to the new routers admin interface, usually either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, username: admin password: admin
    If your router is different then the details will normally be either on the underside of your router or in the manual that came with it.
    4) If the IP address of your new router is 192.168.0.1 continue to the next step, otherwise jump to step 8
    5) In your new routers web admin interface, change the IP address of your routers LAN port to 192.168.1.1 (Under Network -> LAN on the Archer C7)
    6) Under DHCP, change your router to issue IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.x
    for instance on the Archer C7, under DHCP Settings:
    Start IP Address: 192.168.1.100
    End IP Address: 192.168.1.199
    7) Save your changes and reboot the new router
    8) Connect an ethernet cable from any LAN port on your UPC modem to the WAN port on your new router.
    9) You should now have access to the internet via your new router.
    10) Connect to you UPC routers web interface:
    192.168.0.1 Username: admin Password: admin
    11) Disable wifi on your UPC router, this reduces interference caused by the extra unnecessary wifi point. You should use the wifi on your new router instead.

Cheers not done any of the above but based on the post

Guide - Getting the most out of your high speed Virgin Media (UPC) 240mb/s service

I followed the below when I was setting it up many moons ago. So this would not be necessary?

You'd still want/need to reset things like the default password, and to make sure the IP doesn't clash with the VM modem.

• Advertisement

You'd still want/need to reset things like the default password, and to make sure the IP doesn't clash with the VM modem.

Okay so I press Reset/WPS button on router
    Broadband turns off in house (screaming validates that)
    Router starts and broadband starts again
    Login to router using default name and password which is admin
    Then follow 4 to 7

I don't need to do anything with the virgin modem as I have done that previously

That it or am I missing something?

Okay so I press Reset/WPS button on router
    Broadband turns off in house (screaming validates that)
    Router starts and broadband starts again
    Login to router using default name and password which is admin
    Then follow 4 to 7

I don't need to do anything with the virgin modem as I have done that previously

That it or am I missing something?

You'd want to re-apply the same Wifi SSID name and passkey as before to ensure a smooth transition and shorten the timespan of any screaming.

You'd want to re-apply the same Wifi SSID name and passkey as before to ensure a smooth transition and shorten the timespan of any screaming.

Thanks can you dumb it down what you mean... Bit techno struck so not sure what exactly you mean

Cheers

Thanks can you dumb it down what you mean... Bit techno struck so not sure what exactly you mean

Cheers

That was already severely dumbed down I'm afraid.

Check the current settings on the Archer before hand to get the values, and get a screenshot too just in case.

That was already severely dumbed down I'm afraid.

Check the current settings on the Archer before hand to get the values, and get a screenshot too just in case.

Yeah I need to de dumb myself :-)

Okay so current WiFi is say Irish gunner 2.4 ghz and Irish gunner 5ghz

So I reset the router and these SSID names also reset and WiFi goes down.

Then I have to log back into router with default details admin and admin and set up the SSID names to same as it was and same password.

Also update the ip addresses

• Advertisement
Advertisement