Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric tankless water heater

Options
  • 29-01-2021 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hello,

Does anyone have whole house electric tankless water heater set up?
    I am thinking to replace my electric boiler but it seems that they are not that popular in Ireland, anyone has any experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

siulas wrote: »
    Hello,

I am thinking to replace my electric boiler but it seems that they are not that popular in Ireland, anyone has any experiences?

I'd suggest asking in the electrical forum.

I'd imagine they aren't suitable for Ireland. I'd imagine it would be like running 2 or 3 electric showers at the same time. A regular domestic electric feed in Ireland can't run 2 electric showers at the same time.

I'd imagine you'd be looking at a few thousand to have it installed. It's unlikely to save your investment over the lifespan of the water heater.I'd be willing to bet that your electric immersion / gas will be as cheap over a 10/20 year period.

I would imagine solar water would be a better option.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about these water heaters. These are just my initial thoughts on it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Hello,

Are you referring to electric hot water tanks that don't rely on a feeder tank in the attic, which are more common in parts of europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Hello,

Can't be done in this country, basically, unless you are in a uncorn situation with 3 phase power.

I had such water heateing in Perth Australia, and it's the best, IMO, but houses there have 3 phase power so it's a practical possibility. Not here, where the cost of getting a 3 phase power connection is more than the cost of buying a Porsche.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Can't be done in this country, basically, unless you are in a uncorn situation with 3 phase power.

I had such water heateing in Perth Australia, and it's the best, IMO, but houses there have 3 phase power so it's a practical possibility. Not here, where the cost of getting a 3 phase power connection is more than the cost of buying a Porsche.

Not necessarily. There are plenty of apartments in Dublin set up with un-vented electric only hot water storage cylinders running on 230v immersion heaters.
    But to retro fit them into a conventional house set up is tricky because in Ireland you are not supposed to run these things directly from mains water.
    In apartments the water is fed from large on-site water storage tanks via heavy duty pumping systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Would one of those electric taps you see advertised on TV work, handy if you only need a basin of water for washing up at the kitchen sink, same for a whb in an ensuite etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Not necessarily. There are plenty of apartments in Dublin set up with un-vented electric only hot water storage cylinders running on 230v immersion heaters.
    But to retro fit them into a conventional house set up is tricky because in Ireland you are not supposed to run these things directly from mains water.
    In apartments the water is fed from large on-site water storage tanks via heavy duty pumping systems.

The topic is instantaneous hot water heaters that can take a cold main feed that's 6 bar pressure and heat it in real time - a bit like an industrial scale power shower, without the pump. I think they need near enough 40 Kw. There is no storage tank at all - water is heated on demand in real time. These systems are incredibly compact - about the size of a largish microwave oven.

The topic is instantaneous hot water heaters that can take a cold main feed that's 6 bar pressure and heat it in real time - a bit like an industrial scale power shower, without the pump. I think they need near enough 40 Kw. There is no storage tank at all - water is heated on demand in real time. These systems are incredibly compact - about the size of a largish microwave oven.

My sister had a system like that in the Netherlands except it was natural gas, brilliant system.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    My sister had a system like that in the Netherlands except it was natural gas, brilliant system.

We have them here, look up Combi Gas Boiler.

Ah Ok, I was thinking along different lines.

We have them here, look up Combi Gas Boiler.

This was in 1982 when the best thing to have in Ireland was the grant triple pass back boiler.

Each tap in the house had its own little gas burner. The shower had its own larger burner. When the water flowed the burner lit.

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    This was in 1982 when the best thing to have in Ireland was the grant triple pass back boiler.

Each tap in the house had its own little gas burner. The shower had its own larger burner. When the water flowed the burner lit.

In Dublin back in the 70s, and probably before that, we used to have gas instant hot water heaters, we called them geysers, turn on the tap and instant hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭siulas

That is what I have at the moment - hot water cylinder. And my thinking was to replace it with these neat electric tanklesss heater.. But looking what others posted, it does seem to require a lot of power to run..

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

Hi OP! I'm looking into tankless water heaters as my current one is due to be changed soon. I've read that some tankless water heaters, like Navien tankless water heaters, are energy savers. Though other water heaters require a large amount of energy to operate, there are many ways to connect them to solar panels to save energy bills. What type of water heater did you go with? How is it after a year's use?

Advertisement