Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to prove the bedrooms in the attic were original

Options
  • 28-01-2021 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi all, I hope you can assist.
    I am selling a residential property that is old. It was on the 1901 census. It is a four bed roomed property, two bedrooms on the first floor and two bedrooms on the second floor. The second floor is in effect the attic space in "normal" house. There are no wall windows in the two bedrooms on the second floor. There was a steel frame roof window in each of these two bedrooms.I removed these when I purchased the property and replaced with two larger velux windows.

Now I am selling the property. It is sale agreed subject to survey. The engineer is coming tomorrow. He specifically asked me have I any proof that the house was not a two story house with an attic conversion!
    I was very surprised! So I am now trying to see what evidence I have to prove it was always a 4 bed.There is no access to the remaining roof space.
    From observation one can clearly see the continuous original handrail with its bends going up to this 2nd floor.
    The chimney breast goes up through this 2nd floor room with the original cast iron fire place in situ in a 2nd floor bedroom.
    There are other houses on this row with identical configurations. All houses have to some extent been modernised, however the identical original handrail is still in situ in all properties, all going to the 2nd floor (attic). Two other properties still have the cast iron fireplaces on this level.
    How can I convince this engineer it always was a three level (ground floor with two floors above) house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What you say there is useful evidence.

Check the census to see how many rooms were listed in 1901 / 1911. It may be on a different page to the page that lists the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Arklow10

Thanks Victor, will do

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The deeds will often have a description of the house. The description on the deeds could be of value to you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Old photographs can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

When you bought the house, what did your engineer say about it? Did he confirm the rooms were all pre 1964 and pre planning? Did you get a declaration from the previous owners to this effect? Might be worth check title deeds with your solicitor is there anything on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

I came across a not that dissimilar case a while ago. I understand that the engineer can simply note that the construction of the bedrooms appears to be original/old, and that is sufficient. The details you gove, when noted by the engineer should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Victor wrote: »
    What you say there is useful evidence.

Check the census to see how many rooms were listed in 1901 / 1911. It may be on a different page to the page that lists the people.

It is on a different page. Household return Form A is for the names, Household return Form B 1 is the buildings and outbuildings form.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Arklow10

Hi all and thank you.
    The engineer accepted from the construction techniques used (curved handrail, ceiling and fireplaces) and 1911 census which did show the number of rooms. In fact the census stated 14 rooms as against 7 rooms now! However you could see an opening in the rear stone wall that had been filled with more recent but sill very old stone many years ago.
    The census web site is a real treasure of historical information, I got really engrossed in it!

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Arklow10 wrote: »
    In fact the census stated 14 rooms as against 7 rooms now!
    Are you happy next door wasn't part of your building back then?

Also, the house number used today might not be the same as the house number 100 years ago - there might not have been house numbers 100 years ago an the census enumerator assigned their own numbers.

Advertisement