Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SUV advice

Options
  • 28-01-2021 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi, looking for SUV advice, any pros and cons to the below. I made a bad choice on my last SUV which ended up with blown engine then blown turbos (DPF/camshaft issues) which cost me €€€ and ended up with a pretty worthless car at the end of it. So reliability is a key factor, budget not great thanks to issues above, up to €18/19k max. Car ideally will be AWD/4WD 2.0 diesel minimum and can tow 1.8/2T. Also would prefer an auto.

Toyota Rav4
    VW Tiguan
    Skoda Karoq/Kodiaq
    Nissan XTRAIL
    Kia sportage/sorento
    Hyundai santa fe

or if you have any other recommendations to add to the list

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

v0ldeMort wrote: »
    Hi, looking for SUV advice, any pros and cons to the below. I made a bad choice on my last SUV which ended up with blown engine then blown turbos (DPF/camshaft issues) which cost me €€€ and ended up with a pretty worthless car at the end of it. So reliability is a key factor, budget not great thanks to issues above, up to €18/19k max. Car ideally will be AWD/4WD 2.0 diesel minimum and can tow 1.8/2T. Also would prefer an auto.

Toyota Rav4
    VW Tiguan
    Skoda Karoq/Kodiaq
    Nissan XTRAIL
    Kia sportage/sorento
    Hyundai santa fe

or if you have any other recommendations to add to the list

What make was the one that blew up?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭v0ldeMort

mazda cx5 :-7

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The only decent option that’s in your budget is the Sante Fe if you need 4 wheel drive.

The Skodas won’t be in your budget, Tiguan will be the older model and hard got in 4x4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Are the santa fe good for towing?

I thought their clutches were very weak

pippip wrote: »
    Are the santa fe good for towing?

I thought their clutches were very weak

I'll be looking for an auto, towing will be very infrequent, couple of times a month during the spring/summer, short trips & no hills!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭horse7

Dacia duster 4x4?

horse7 wrote: »
    Dacia duster 4x4?

not enough towing capacity and....just no. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,702 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ssangyong Korando is supposed to be very good for towing. I think it has even won some awards. Not sure if its available in the spec you want but worth a look. Would be looking at a 2017 or 18 one.

AMKC wrote: »
    Ssangyong Korando is supposed to be very good for towing. I think it has even won some awards. Not sure if its available in the spec you want but worth a look. Would be looking at a 2017 or 18 one.

thanks, will check the towing capacity. I know the Rexton can pull 3.5T I think (way more than I need) but seem only to be available in commercial form.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

I wouldn't mind buying a skoda yeti if I have that money.

Edit: The Monte Carlo Skoda Yeti!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Dsg awd tdi Tiguan is your best bet if auto is a big requirement. Probably the dearest of all of these smaller suvs to buy though.

If you'd make do with a manual a Ford kuga would be a good shout. I dunno about these in an auto, I do know some of the ford automatics are shocking bad and unreliable but I couldn't say off the top of my head if this includes auto kugas.

Audi Q5 worth a look too.

I've a 2018 sorento with over 90k kms on it and it's been faultless. 38mpg and AWD. Mines manual. I don't tow anything.

You might well get an auto in budget, most of them are family owned and do no heavy work. I'd recommend one as a solid & cheap option TBH. No real frills but trouble free motoring has it's benefits. \ 2016 will have warranty for another 2 years up to 150k kms if service history is as per Kia requirements.

Augeo wrote: »
    I've a 2018 sorento with over 90k kms on it and it's been faultless. 38mpg and AWD. Mines manual. I don't tow anything.

You might well get an auto in budget, most of them are family owned and do no heavy work. I'd recommend one as a solid & cheap option TBH. No real frills but trouble free motoring has it's benefits. \ 2016 will have warranty for another 2 years up to 150k kms if service history is as per Kia requirements.

thanks I had a kia ceed for a few years couldn't fault it.

Dsg awd tdi Tiguan is your best bet if auto is a big requirement. Probably the dearest of all of these smaller suvs to buy though.

If you'd make do with a manual a Ford kuga would be a good shout. I dunno about these in an auto, I do know some of the ford automatics are shocking bad and unreliable but I couldn't say off the top of my head if this includes auto kugas.

Audi Q5 worth a look too.

would have to go down the years for a Q5 which wouldn't bother at all though I am wary of a high mileage car, anything on a older Q5 to watch out for?

Kuga is another good suggestion will research the auto I am trying to avoid a manual if at all possible due to a mobility issue.

Thanks for the input so far. I have found a 2016 Tiguan and am willing to up the budget to 21K which should get it.

Its 2016, 4MOTION DSG, older model, 100,000kms

Anything to watch out for, considering reliability is a big factor for me? its a main dealer so should have dealer warranty rather than the mapre "warranty"

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would suggest you try and find the current model Tiguan. €21k is a big lump of money for an old model 2016.

The old shape Tiguan is a 2007 model, so the newer model is a serious step up in terms of design, safety, tech etc. They aren’t any where near as sought after as the current model.

You can get the new model within budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

what about subaru xv or mitsubishi asx?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

There's a 2012 Merc ML250 auto down in Kerry for sale on donedeal for €18.5k. Spotted it on the site a few days ago

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-ml-250-amg-sport/27322419

Not sure if its a legit car but possibly another option to consider.

wex96 wrote: »
    what about subaru xv or mitsubishi asx?

not enough towing capacity for the mitsu, subaru unsure of the reliability tbh.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    There's a 2012 Merc ML250 auto down in Kerry for sale on donedeal for €18.5k. Spotted it on the site a few days ago

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-ml-250-amg-sport/27322419

Not sure if its a legit car but possibly another option to consider.

thanks, not sure if they would accept a trade-in. Looking for main dealer warranty also.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I would suggest you try and find the current model Tiguan. €21k is a big lump of money for an old model 2016.

The old shape Tiguan is a 2007 model, so the newer model is a serious step up in terms of design, safety, tech etc. They aren’t any where near as sought after as the current model.

You can get the new model within budget.

I don't see any newer tiguans in my budget at all? (4motion, DSG)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

You haven’t a hope of getting an auto New model Tigaun within budget nevermind a 4wd. Also the 2016 should have leather, sunroof etc if it’s the sport spec.

That 2016 sounds good value considering manual 2wd drives are making 18k.

Depending on the month that car was registered to might be able to opt for a DAS welt warranty. It’ll cost about a grand but will cover you three years unlimited mileage, well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah the 4motion DSG narrows the field a lot. The only one I can see is in Leinster Motor Group but with 198km on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭granturismo

I had a 2008 2L Mitsubishi Outlander for a few years towing a horsebox and a pony across the country occasionally and maybe 1 hour trips a few time a month, regularly in fields but never in a mudbath. Never had a problem with it. You should be able to pick up a more recent version for your price range.

Advertisement