Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Throttling?

Options
  • 27-01-2021 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

I am on 240 Megabit connection with Virgin Media. My understanding is that this can give me a max "real" download speed of 30 megabytes a second.

When I use a file download service, to download some large files e.g. 1gb, the max download speed I ever get is about 6 megabytes a second.

However, EVERY time I turn on my NordVPN, using Ireland as a location, the downloads go to over 30 megabytes a second, which I would expect.

So my question is, is Virgin Media throttling downloads from my particular file service that I subscribe to? As the VPN solves the problem, it would seem to be an issue with the site I am using rather than the size of the files.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

They don't throttle, but it does sound more like a point on the route to the destination has become saturated or congested, most likely a peering arrangement. VM do have a history of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Theres definitely been an issue last 10 days or so. Latency to CF/Google/AWS has been normal but my monitors from the UK have been showing horrendous loss and jitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

ED E wrote: »
    Theres definitely been an issue last 10 days or so. Latency to CF/Google/AWS has been normal but my monitors from the UK have been showing horrendous loss and jitter.

I'm having the same sort of issues, though what I find funny is speedtest and fast.com show my downlaod speed to be fairly normal but my upload speed seems to be capped at 20-30 Mb/s too which is causing issues.

Advertisement