Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jaw surgery insurance question

Options
  • 27-01-2021 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

so i need braces and jaw surgery as i have a 8mm overbite and tmj problems which cause me pain and headaches... but i have no insurance and no work and currently i'm on social welfare job seekers allowance and only receiving 200Euro a week. so i have come here to find out how i should go about it? cost of the jaw surgery alone is very expensive and thats not including hospital fees and braces and what not. i have been thinking about signing up to a insurance like vhi dental plan but do they cover jaw surgery? or decare dental, those are the main 2 that i have been looking at.
    im currently saving up for braces right now and to get my wisdom tooth removed but cant imagine how long i would have to save up just for the surgery which is why i'm asking for some advice. i have yet to visit the orthodontist because of covid and also anxiety.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

casey1020 wrote: »
    so i need braces and jaw surgery as i have a 8mm overbite and tmj problems which cause me pain and headaches... but i have no insurance and no work and currently i'm on social welfare job seekers allowance and only receiving 200Euro a week. so i have come here to find out how i should go about it? cost of the jaw surgery alone is very expensive and thats not including hospital fees and braces and what not. i have been thinking about signing up to a insurance like vhi dental plan but do they cover jaw surgery? or decare dental, those are the main 2 that i have been looking at.
    im currently saving up for braces right now and to get my wisdom tooth removed but cant imagine how long i would have to save up just for the surgery which is why i'm asking for some advice. i have yet to visit the orthodontist because of covid and also anxiety.

signing up for insurance to get a procedure done that you already know that you need is like crashing your car and then taking out car insurance.....
    it will likely be classed as a pre-existing condition and not be covered...

First port of call is to see an orthodontist who treats surgical type of patients and take their advice from there....

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭montzarella

Hi i think a loan is your best bet here, or health insurance, but as already pointed out its a pre existing condition and if not, then at least a 5 year wait period.
    Vhi dental or decare will not cover jaw surgery, as it would fall under the health insurance option.

But again, with pre existing and wait period, i doubt would be covered, might be worth a call to ask them.

Advertisement