Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPNs!!! ??? - eir & apple tv

Options
  • 27-01-2021 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking into setting up our Apple tv so we can watch uk apps like BBC iPlayer etc.

We also have Eir and watch regular tv through their app.

Express VPN say they have a media streamer for Apple but that a proper VPN through the router is more private.

My question is whether that is possible with an Eir set up? We are interested in browsing privacy at home as well as further tv viewing options. We'd like to do both if possible.

We have a new sony tv, maybe it would be possible to do it on that instead of the apple tv? I think it is android based.

Any help appreciated, it seems pretty complicated and I don't want to screw it up. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jcmg73

My suggestion would be to set up a different router as a dedicated vpn router.
    I have 2 in my set up. One is a dlink DIR-890L and other is asus.
    I have one as an Irish router and the other as a usa
    I just switch between network when I need change location.
    I have found apple tv don't really like vpns but you also can change the dns on the apple tv.
    Nord vpn offer this service as part of there service it's called smart vpn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Apple TVs don't support VPN clients, so if you really want an apple tv behind a VPN you'd need to run the VPN on the router. I've done this but found it more annoying than worth while as if you do it on the main router, it effects all devices on the network and typically VPNs slow your connection considerably. You could do as jcmg73 suggests and use a second router just for the apple tv, but that is also a bit of a pain and probably not worth it. Look at smart dns options instead as they work fine from an Apple TV and might be suitable for what you need...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ellee wrote: »
    Hi

I'm looking into setting up our Apple tv so we can watch uk apps like BBC iPlayer etc.

We also have Eir and watch regular tv through their app.

Express VPN say they have a media streamer for Apple but that a proper VPN through the router is more private.

My question is whether that is possible with an Eir set up? We are interested in browsing privacy at home as well as further tv viewing options. We'd like to do both if possible.

We have a new sony tv, maybe it would be possible to do it on that instead of the apple tv? I think it is android based.

Any help appreciated, it seems pretty complicated and I don't want to screw it up. Thank you.

You're better off with a firestick and loading a VPN app on it like keepsolid and then all the UK apps.
    There's a thread over on the android forum but it's very easy, no tech experience required.
    BTW: browser privacy? You do realise that none of it is really private but it's only relevant if it's actual illegal activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Da_wirt

Hi

Firstly hi and greetings from me hear in Germany. I'm originally from Clonakilty but live hear for about 25 years.

Secondly thanks to all members of the forums as I have picked up some very useful tips and information on the way.

Just a quick question.

Has anyone got eir tv to work on an Apple 4k tv box using a VPN?

My setup:-

Dedicated secondary router for Express VPN connected to Apple 4k tv box over Ethernet cable.

Apple box was bought in Germany but I don't think that matters??.

Message is "wrong location" not allowed to view these channels.

RTE player works ok.

Anyone?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Da_wirt

Sorry, would this help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jumpin jack

I'm getting the same message and I'm in Ireland on Eir fibre. I contacted Eir Tech support and they tell me that I need to be using an Eir router. I am using a Mikrotik router and have a Smart DNS running in the background to allow me to watch BBC iPlayer.

Advertisement