Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing off emails with "He/Him" and "She/Her"

Options
  • 27-01-2021 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

I've seen this three times in the last two weeks. Two blokes and one woman signing off their emails this way:

Best regards,
    Joe Bloggs
    (He / Him)

For context, I work for a US tech startup and it's very progressive and LGBT / DEI friendly, which is lovely to see. But why someone would choose to go this far in gender identifying themselves sort of escapes me. Is it just an expression of solidarity with trans and non-binary folks or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

bitofabind wrote: »
    I've seen this three times in the last two weeks. Two blokes and one woman signing off their emails this way:

Best regards,
    Joe Bloggs
    (He / Him)

For context, I work for a US tech startup and it's very progressive and LGBT / DEI friendly, which is lovely to see. But why someone would choose to go this far in gender identifying themselves sort of escapes me. Is it just an expression of solidarity with trans and non-binary folks or what?

Only a passing fad. Most people are sick of thos nonsense already. In decades to come people will laugh about it.

Edit: What is DEI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Seems to be all the rage on Twitter with asocial failures at life.

Imagine your dad pointing out what gender he is :pac: Imagine the type of child such a man would raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I can't understand it. Fair enough if your pronouns differ than what a reasonable person would expect then sure, put it down. But if you are (for example) James "He-Man" Rockstone and your pronouns are what a reasonable person would expect then I think less of you if you put down your pronouns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Wilhelm III

F*** / the f*** off.

Seems to be all the rage on Twitter with asocial failures at life.

Imagine your dad pointing out what gender he is :pac: Imagine the type of child such a man would raise.

A case of arrested development with these individuals, juvenile grab at attention. Preening narcissists one and all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Wilhelm III

When I see this, I just think 'right, there's somebody I should definitely never interact with', so in fairness - it's actually very, very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just sign yours off ‘bingley/bongley’, and complain when they don’t address you as such.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Only a passing fad. Most people are sick of thos nonsense already. In decades to come people will laugh about it.

Edit: What is DEI?

Diversity Equity and Inclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Saw an argument recently on Facebook where someone was getting stick for starting off a post with "Theydies and Gentlethem"

I'm not gonna say I was offended by it (because I wasn't), but I'm not a Theydie, I'm a lady. If you're gonna do that, surely you should include both Theydies and Gentlethem AND Ladies and Gentlemen? Rather than excluding all of us that identify as our birth gender?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I've only seen it on people's Twitter profiles, it's just one of those things best ignored imo,

Monk (they/them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Im still waiting to see one that claims to be an 'it'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's all over twitter. I was thinking of tweaking my profile adding I/Me but that would probably offend.

Womex :p

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I'm sure you can all understand why a trans person would feel the need to do it. So I think cis people do it to make trans people feel more comfortable. Seems fairly harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

The child would probably just have a but of empathy. Not sure what the negative effects would be

cian68 wrote: »
    Not sure what the negative effects would be

A weakling baying for constant approval from peers, massive inferiority complex and generally a pain in the hole to be around.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

endacl wrote: »
    Just sign yours off ‘bingley/bongley’, and complain when they don’t address you as such.

Bingley here has the right idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Nope, we can't just sign off emails with just our name any more, something that has been protocol for years, and for centuries when letters were our only means of communication.

Don't want to offend the perennially offended you see, especially during trans-mania.

God forbid me in assuming that Mary from the reception of the business I was contacting was a woman. I must be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I don’t see what the issue is to be honest. If it makes the person feel better about themselves or as an act of solidarity with trans people then what’s the bother.

Sounds like yet another thing for the grumpy dimwitted bores of Boards.ie to be outraged about.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

A weakling baying for constant approval from peers, massive inferiority complex and generally a pain in the hole to be around.

ron_burgundy_boy_that_escalated_quickly.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I am working on a dissertation at the moment, and the latest referencing standard (APA 7th) says that you should not use he/she. You should use "they".

It does not read right to me at all. It does not work in the singular.

"John says that the sky is blue. They do not say that it is green"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's how you know the sender is a woke (eejit).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tzardine wrote: »
    I am working on a dissertation at the moment, and the latest referencing standard (APA 7th) says that you should not use he/she. You should use "they".

It does not read right to me at all. It does not work in the singular.

"John says that the sky is blue. They do not say that it is green"
    To mess with them, never use pronouns. Everything then become some weird third person skit.

"John says that the sky is blue. John do not say that it is green"
    "John ate pasta. It was the best pasta John had had since John could remember."

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Gina Carano, who is an actress in The Mandalorian, had out Beep/Bop/Boop beside her name on twitter but took it down after The Mandalorian explained what it was all about.

The idea is that it normalises stating your pronouns so it is no big deal when a trans person does it.

I don't care about people doing it. I'm sure there is the normal mix of good intentions and posturing. I wouldn't do it myself because I am highly reserved in anything online that has my name on it. And I don't care.

I thought the beep/bop/boop thing was funny and don't see why people got offended by it (I believe many were outraged.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Northernlily

bitofabind wrote: »

Best regards,
    Joe Bloggs
    (He / Him)

If someone signed of an email to me like that I'd instantly lose some respect for them.

This stuff is pure woke nonsense.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

There is a thread on Gender Identity in Current Affairs and that's where this discussion should be directed.

Thread Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement