Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will we ever see a halting site in Dublin 4?

Options
  • 27-01-2021 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Will we ever see a halting site/traveller accommodation in Dublin 4? I've had quite a few experiences with travellers and most of them have been magnificent people. This thread is more about questioning the double standards of Dublin's upper middle class and how the real way(I believe) for minority groups to integrate and have cultural influence is to become part of this socio-economic group. How many times have we seen in media the denizens of Donnybrook waxing lyrically about the need for diversity and how Ireland isn't progressive enough, all the while they silently but strongly object to halting sites and social housing being built in Dublin 4. Take the local authority site in Mount Merrion that had been earmarked for Traveller accommodation. The plan was dropped in 2019 in the face of considerable local opposition which included Josepha Madigan who campaigned against the development, describing it as a "dreadful waste of taxpayers' money".

The D4 brigade preach to everyone outside their socio-economic group how racist they are and how Ireland just isn't diverse enough, all the while they themselves still use the exact same power structures of exclusion. They say they want equality of opportunity but how do they when they oppose social housing and traveller accommodation in their own areas so forcefully?

Do you think we will ever see a halting built in Dublin 4?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Hopefully not, we're all paying to build them, so build it on the cheapest land possible.
    Which is not in D4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭Tow

You do know that Ringsend is in Dublin 4.
    Have a look around the Irish Glasse site.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Site Banned Posts: 12 Fog Hat

Wealthy people love diversity...from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tow wrote: »
    You do know that Ringsend is in Dublin 4.
    Have a look around the Irish Glasse site.

Always enjoy when OPs are blown up at the first hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭listermint

listermint wrote: »
    Always enjoy when OPs are blown up at the first hurdle.

Incoming... I didn't mean that Dublin 4. I meant like in an Embassy front garden or something... Something something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Once I see the D4 brigade or anything on that theme I know it’s going to be nonsense. D4 media generally means RTÉ and I doubt too many of them actually live in D4. Also as pointed out D4 is a lot bigger than people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

There are sites in Blackrock and Booterstown I think. And Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Does Josepha Madigans constituency even take in any of D4?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭Deeec

Hopefully we will never see a halting site in D4. Halting sites are complete eyesores that drag an area down. I agree there are good travellers but they are in the minority.

The Dark lord - I think you should contact the council and tell them you would be happy to have a halting site right beside your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

salmocab wrote: »
    Does Josepha Madigans constituency even take in any of D4?

She has a record regarding travellers. If someone in Blanch didn't want travellers, suggesting instead Dun Laoghaire (I know it isn't D4, but the same set of sanctimonious posh people), maybe she might accuse them of racism. Most established areas have state or Council owned land that's unused or under-used. This land might get sold, but in the interim, the land could be put to use, Maybe some of the characters in Bluebell, over the bridge, could do with a change of scenery. Maybe they set fires because of the ugly local environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Most people who mention or complain about D4 have no idea what or where it is. They seem to think there's some kind of walled citadel somewhere on the Southside which contains RTE, The Irish Times, any politician who didn't grow up on a farm and Bono. They all live in gold houses and plot the subjugation of the masses by means of the 'liberal agenda' while playing croquet with body parts torn from the poor.

Most people who mention or complain about D4 have no idea what or where it is. They seem to think there's some kind of walled citadel somewhere on the Southside which contains RTE, The Irish Times, any politician who didn't grow up on a farm and Bono. They all live in gold houses and plot the subjugation of the masses by means of the 'liberal agenda' while playing croquet with body parts torn from the poor.

Nah D4 is a posho mindset. The mindset of 'why yes, we should import a million muslim refugees, but no, don't house them in my area'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Will we ever see a halting site/traveller accommodation in Dublin 4? I've had quite a few experiences with travellers and most of them have been magnificent people. This thread is more about questioning the double standards of Dublin's upper middle class and how the real way(I believe) for minority groups to integrate and have cultural influence is to become part of this socio-economic group. How many times have we seen in media the denizens of Donnybrook waxing lyrically about the need for diversity and how Ireland isn't progressive enough, all the while they silently but strongly object to halting sites and social housing being built in Dublin 4. Take the local authority site in Mount Merrion that had been earmarked for Traveller accommodation. The plan was dropped in 2019 in the face of considerable local opposition which included Josepha Madigan who campaigned against the development, describing it as a "dreadful waste of taxpayers' money".

The D4 brigade preach to everyone outside their socio-economic group how racist they are and how Ireland just isn't diverse enough, all the while they themselves still use the exact same power structures of exclusion. They say they want equality of opportunity but how do they when they oppose social housing and traveller accommodation in their own areas so forcefully?

Do you think we will ever see a halting built in Dublin 4?

You can see one today.
    Next time you drive over the toll bridge beside the Point/O2/3 Arena from north to south, go straight on up to the roundabout and instead of swinging right, just go straight over and carry on for a bit. You'll see plenty of caravans there.
    That's Dublin 4 too.

And there are plenty of homeless people sleeping in tents on the canal while the city is falling down with unoccupied houses, many of them owned by international trust funds and quite a few by miserable jumped up culchies or inner city dodgy publicans made rich and bad.

Blame it on the mythical "D4 types" if you like, but you're talking out yer hoop.

(I know it isn't D4, but the same set of sanctimonious posh people).
    Fog Hat wrote: »
    Nah D4 is a posho mindset.

Posh people :D

People who sip tea with their little finger sticking out from bone china cups with saucers. People with bidets in their bathrooms. People with monocles and polo ponies. They're the ones driving the liberal agenda, yeah?

It'll be the fat cats in Washington next.

I think it would a fantastic idea.
    They have to live somewhere in suitable accommodation.

At least the denizens of D4, being affluent and all, won't resort to dumping their rubbish beside the halting site, which goes on around the country according to people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,327 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just locate one next to Tubridy house!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I wouldnt object to them in D4 (or any other "fancy" D#) but Id strongly object to paying some of the highest land rates in the country for social housing.

Just locate one next to Tubridy house!

Yeah, because Ryan Tubridy lives in the Late Late studio in Donnybrook. He has a little gold fold-out bed at the back, near where they keep Gay Byrne's owl.

This is like my kids, who when they were 5 thought that their teachers lived in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Thread will be closed because the dudes J and E will moan.
    And now mods just listen to who ever complains the most!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

There is actually a halting site in Leopardstown, itself quite a posh area, and just a stone's throw from one of the poshest areas in Dublin, Foxrock. It has been there a long time and the residents as far as I am aware create no trouble, or if they do they don't do it locally. In so far as there are issues with house burglaries in the area, which there are, the culprits are almost always from the non-traveller section of the criminal classes, utilising the helpful facility of the nearby M50 motorway to make their entry and escape.

• Advertisement

this absolute rubbish again!
    I post this everytime someone goes on about the 'posh southside' not living near travellers.
    halting site and traveller accomodation in;
    Booterstown, BLackrock, Dun laoghaire, Cabinteely, Foxrock, Glenamuck, Shankill and poshest of all Rathmichael.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

As already stated, lots of caravans etc in Ringsend. Sometimes I walk or cycle from town out to Blackrock and there's a small site in what's probably Booterstown too, around where that Top Hat thing used to be years and years ago.
    So we have and will see a halting site in D4 and surrounds right now, will we see any more rock up any time soon and throw down their anchor? Who knows, maybe?
    There's a perfect site for them where Squash Ireland used to be in Clontarf, always wondered why they haven't set up there. I'd be curious to see how the authorities would deal with it in a posh area these days, if that's what the OP is getting at.

Yeah, because Ryan Tubridy lives in the Late Late studio in Donnybrook. He has a little gold fold-out bed at the back, near where they keep Gay Byrne's owl.

This is like my kids, who when they were 5 thought that their teachers lived in the school.

I said locate one next to Tubridy's house. I never mentioned RTE or The Late Late studio!

I said locate one next to Tubridy's house. I never mentioned RTE or The Late Late studio!

The thread's about Dublin 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd pay to collect all halting sites to D4 and then have a Big Brother style show broadcasting 24/7 from a million CCTV cameras around the place.

The thread's about Dublin 4!

Yes and you can go off a specific area in my opinion.
    I'm not sure where Tuby's lives. It may be in Dubline 4.
    I'd also locate one next to Ciara Kelly in Greystones, Wicklow.
    I still didn't mention the RTE/Late Late Studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

No. The price of property will be affected

As long as they don't live within an asses roar of my gated community I will praise them to the heavens. God love them now the innocents. Aren't they still fixing pots and pans out in rural Ireland, doing their bit for the poor farmers. I saw it on a postcard once.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why do we have halting sites at all?

Why does the state insist on funding an apartheid way of living?

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    this absolute rubbish again!
    I post this everytime someone goes on about the 'posh southside' not living near travellers.
    halting site and traveller accomodation in;
    Booterstown, BLackrock, Dun laoghaire, Cabinteely, Foxrock, Glenamuck, Shankill and poshest of all Rathmichael.

Great. Do they call in at night to vist your elderly people?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement