Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NAS Drive, IPv4, IPv6, Virgin Media

• 27-01-2021 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I would be grateful for some help please.

I have a Virgin Media Router which has had IPv4 enabled because I am using it as a modem and using a Xiaomi AX3600 Router as the Router.

I have a Terramaster NAS Drive and recently it has started to go offline a lot and when rebooted grabs a different IP addy.

I therefore gave it a static IP address under its IPv4 settings.

I note that there is also an IPv6 setting which is currently set to "Auto" and I'm wondering if I should turn this off; perhaps it is causing a conflict which is resulting in the NAS losing internet connection?

The other options available besides Auto are "close", "manual", "6to4" and "6in4"

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Go ahead and turn it off. It's on your private network so is of no real benefit to you.

You've configured your NAS with a static IP and DNS. Any issues since?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭iba

LoGiE wrote: »
    Go ahead and turn it off. It's on your private network so is of no real benefit to you.

You've configured your NAS with a static IP and DNS. Any issues since?

Thanks for your reply.

No issues since I changed to a static IP but it has only been a couple of days, probably need a longer time to know for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

DHCP serve IP's from low to high numbers by availability. Set you NAS up "high" and you should not have issues, even if your NAS would be offline for lease term. There are other ways to ensure no conflict, but doubt you would need it in average domestic environment

I knew I probably spoke too soon; NAS gone offline again today.

DHCP serve IP's from low to high numbers by availability. Set you NAS up "high" and you should not have issues, even if your NAS would be offline for lease term. There are other ways to ensure no conflict, but doubt you would need it in average domestic environment

Thanks for your reply.

Are you saying that I should revert back from a static IP addy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

iba wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

Are you saying that I should revert back from a static IP addy?
    No, keep it on static.
    What i am saying keep your "static" devices up on high numbers.
    Say if router DHCP range set to 192.168.1.2-250, DHCP server issue addresses in sequence from 2, 3 , 4 ... 249, 250 on first come first served basis (i am skipping lease term detail for now)

If you set your NAS to 192.168.1.200, it most likely will be always available for it as you wont have that many devices at any one given time in average domestic setup to exhaust full range.

Another option is to set "reservation" to that specific device on routers DHCP. This will tell router to keep that address just to device that comes with specified MAC

Another option to ensure no IP conflict is to reduce DHCP range - 192.168.1.2-50 . This mean that you router can issue only 48 "dynamic" IP addresses to devices that request it. All devices set above that range will be on same network, but free of risk that their respective IP addresses will be given to something else.
    Be aware that in this instance you need to ensure that you dont assign same IP to other device.
    Once you start manually manage IP addresses, it is partially your responsibility to keep record what is what to reduce possible issues

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Llamedos

I have a Synology nas with my Virgin Media rourter plugged into the rj45 port and I want to use the network survelience package. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use a POE network switch to connect my router and 2 x POE camers to the NAS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

You're looking at it the wrong way, the router would be connected to the PoE Switch, and then connected to the PoE switch would be the NAS, and the cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Llamedos

Many Thanks Davo

Advertisement