Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moka Pot? Need a strong coffee.

• 27-01-2021 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Hi

I bought a Moka Pot at Christmas. I love it!
    But I’m having trouble finding a strong coffee for it.

I usually get coffee from Creed, which is great for the big machine, but when I ordered I got some ground for the Moka Pot, it just doesn’t seem to be strong enough.

Can any one recommend a robust morning coffee?
    Also what grind do I ask for? Espresso or a Moka grind? I don’t have a grinder.

Thanks
    Pix

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If it's watery tasting I'd say it's not ground fine enough. Espresso grind would probably be too fine but fill them in and ask them to grind a bit finer the next time.

Separately, a 'strong' coffee is one that is often referred to as such becuse its over roasted or a robusta bean. They wouldn't be what I'd be seeking out personally but whatever you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

If it's watery tasting I'd say it's not ground fine enough. Espresso grind would probably be too fine but fill them in and ask them to grind a bit finer the next time.

Separately, a 'strong' coffee is one that is often referred to as such becuse its over roasted or a robusta bean. They wouldn't be what I'd be seeking out personally but whatever you prefer.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

I initially used the espresso Christmas Blend from Starbucks because it was all I could get at short notice at Christmas, surprisingly it was lovely and filled the house with a beautiful smell.

The moka grind coffee from Creed was watery, as you mention.

I guess I do like a robust coffee in the morning. I'm open to others, just later in the day. I usually use a bean-to-cup machine, but I love the smell of coffee in the morning from the moka pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Agreed on this, very coarse grind will give weak coffee, but personally I find that most better supermarket coffees (Lavazza, Illy, etc.) work great in my moka pot. I would say use just below boiling water in base with a low heat to ensure best extraction.

Personally find moka coffee to be amongst the strongest coffees.

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Agreed on this, very coarse grind will give weak coffee, but personally I find that most better supermarket coffees (Lavazza, Illy, etc.) work great in my moka pot. I would say use just below boiling water in base with a low heat to ensure best extraction.

Personally find moka coffee to be amongst the strongest coffees.

Great, thank you I will try those brands.

I definitely think I need to hone my brewing skills also, but thats part of the fun. I'll try out your tip in the morning.

Coffee Angel suggested their Forsa Gala espresso (moka grind) for the moka pot, so I ordered that earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Mahers Italian blend gives a lovely strength of cup from a v60, id assume it would work v well in a moka

• Advertisement

stuchyg wrote: »
    Mahers Italian blend gives a lovely strength of cup from a v60, id assume it would work v well in a moka

I'm going to give this a try too. I like Italian blends. Thanks!

I contacted Badger & Dodo and they suggested to try their Brazil Recreio. So that will be fourth on my list.

Might as well experiment my way through this lockdown :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Pixied wrote: »
    I'm going to give this a try too. I like Italian blends. Thanks!

I contacted Badger & Dodo and they suggested to try their Brazil Recreio. So that will be fourth on my list.

Might as well experiment my way through this lockdown :)

Hi Pixied.. how are you getting on with the coffee ? Any favourites?

Just bought a 3 cup Moka and testing out some coffees.

Are you topping up your brew with hot water to get an Americano ?

Hi

I bought a Moka Pot at Christmas. I love it!
    But I’m having trouble finding a strong coffee for it.

I usually get coffee from Creed, which is great for the big machine, but when I ordered I got some ground for the Moka Pot, it just doesn’t seem to be strong enough.

Can any one recommend a robust morning coffee?
    Also what grind do I ask for? Espresso or a Moka grind? I don’t have a grinder.

Thanks
    Pix

You want something slightly coarser than espresso.

The lavazza ground coffee consistency is around what you should be going for.

Meself wrote: »
    Hi Pixied.. how are you getting on with the coffee ? Any favourites?

Just bought a 3 cup Moka and testing out some coffees.

Are you topping up your brew with hot water to get an Americano ?

Hi Meself

As Stuchyg recommended above I have to say that so far the Mahers Italian Blend is the best! Didn't like their Gold blend, and their French Blend is ok.

s
    Sometimes I serve straight, sometimes I top it up with hot water, sometimes I add some hot milk. Depends on the mood :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Hi Meself

As Stuchyg recommended above I have to say that so far the Mahers Italian Blend is the best! Didn't like their Gold blend, and their French Blend is ok.

s
    Sometimes I serve straight, sometimes I top it up with hot water, sometimes I add some hot milk. Depends on the mood :)

Little bit of hot milk and topped up with hot water works the best for me.

Have to say the coffee is superb. Trying Ariosa espresso blend I got in avoca. Lovely stuff. Will try that Maher's next.

• Advertisement

Meself wrote: »
    Little bit of hot milk and topped up with hot water works the best for me.

Have to say the coffee is superb. Trying Ariosa espresso blend I got in avoca. Lovely stuff. Will try that Maher's next.

Thanks, the Ariosa is now on my list:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭donaghs

Its possibly both of these reasons. I like to try new coffee and trends, but call me an old-fashioned Neanderthal, I still prefer the old "dark roast" style "strong" coffee. Especially as I like milk in my coffee.

A lot of the new trendy roasters etc will be tending toward "light roast" styles:
    https://www.javapresse.com/blogs/buying-coffee/differences-between-light-medium-dark-roasted-coffee#:~:text=Light%20roast%20coffee%20is%20a,the%20surface%20of%20the%20beans.&text=These%20coffees%20are%20roasted%20in,%2C%20aromas%2C%20aftertastes%20and%20beyond.
    https://beanhoppers.com/blogs/news/the-light-roasted-coffee-trend-yay-or-nay#:~:text=There%20is%20a%20new%20trend,brighter%E2%80%9D%20taste%20in%20your%20cup.

As mentioned earlier, something like Lavassa is finely ground and may give you the flavour you're looking for.

Advertisement