Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 'projects' when not studying through a school

Options
  • 26-01-2021 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I'm currently planning to study by buying the curriculum books and home studying with a view to sitting the leaving cert in summer 2023.

I intend to take the subjects:

English (HL)
    Irish (HL)
    Mathematics (HL)
    Business (HL)
    Religious education (HL)
    Politics & Society (HL)
    History (HL)

Here are the obstacles I see:

Where do I do the Irish Oral exam?

In religious education, there seems to be a coursework booklet that accounts for 20% of the marks and is to be submitted online.

In Politics & Society, it appears there is a project which has to be submitted again for 20% of the marks that has to be authenticated by a teacher as my work.

In History, a (RSR) Research study report carries the same 20% weight and has to be submitted in April prior to the state exams.

Is there any way of doing these three projects without attending a school full-time? I live abroad so this is the main reason it's out of the question.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You need to get your work overseen by a registered teacher.
    Otherwise you will need to do subjects without practical work.

You don't have to be attending a school full time but you have to have a teacher be able to say it is your work, as they have seen it develop, or read drafts of it etc..

In fairness, the exam was never intended for people outside the country to fly in and sit it. The Libyan students being an exception and they don't fly in.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

spurious wrote: »
    You need to get your work overseen by a registered teacher.
    Otherwise you will need to do subjects without practical work.

You don't have to be attending a school full time but you have to have a teacher be able to say it is your work, as they have seen it develop, or read drafts of it etc..

In fairness, the exam was never intended for people outside the country to fly in and sit it. The Libyan students being an exception and they don't fly in.

Could you in theory, pay a registered Irish secondary teacher privately to have a look at it throughout the two school years to give it the green light?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Paying just for that might leave you open to all sorts of accusations.

Email the SEC and ask what they suggest. I seriously wouldn't mention you live outside the country though.

Advertisement