Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan Conversion NI VRT

Options
  • 26-01-2021 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Im thinking about buying a VW Transporter up in Northern Ireland and then converting it into a camper down south.
    Do I have to pay the VRT immediately or could I pay it after the conversion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You will have to clear it as a commercial first and once its converted to a Motorcaravan then you pay the camper VRT less the commercial VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You will have to clear it as a commercial first and once its converted to a Motorcaravan then you pay the camper VRT less the commercial VRT.

You sure about that? I was thinking of bringing a Caravelle in and understood I could register as a camper without having to register as a car (and lay massive VRT)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Would you pay VRT to register it in the republic, then VRT again once you convert it??

VRT for commercials is different and much lower than a private vehicle or a Camper.
    How are you going to register a private vehicle as a motorcaravan?
    You have seven days from entry into the state to register for the VRT inspection, once it goes over that there is a daily fine added to the VRT amount.
    I could be wrong but to get a vehicle converted to a standard that an SQI will sign off on is a lot more than 7 days.

VRT for commercials is different and much lower than a private vehicle or a Camper.
    How are you going to register a private vehicle as a motorcaravan?
    You have seven days from entry into the state to register for the VRT inspection, once it goes over that there is a daily fine added to the VRT amount.
    I could be wrong but to get a vehicle converted to a standard that an SQI will sign off on is a lot more than 7 days.

You right with the timing,-and may end up with a fine, but the fine will be a lot less than paying the VRT as a car - it will be 36% rate versus 13.5%

• Advertisement

Casati wrote: »
    You right with the timing,-and may end up with a fine, but the fine will be a lot less than paying the VRT as a car - it will be 36% rate versus 13.5%

The fine is 0.1% of the total VRT added per day and backdated to the entry into the state.

I guess it depends on how you think the VRT will go, is 13.5% of 20k more than 36% of 13k ?
    Its all notional values anyway so whatever price they put on it will be the determining factor.

The fine is 0.1% of the total VRT added per day and backdated to the entry into the state.

I guess it depends on how you think the VRT will go, is 13.5% of 20k more than 36% of 13k ?
    Its all notional values anyway so whatever price they put on it will be the determining factor.

Thanks explaining the fine, defo a lot cheaper

If it's in NI, how do they know the date it enters into the state?
    For all they know it came in yesterday.

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Yes this is true but the other side of that is that there are a lot of camera's around these days that record registrations.
    Not saying that this is always the case but just tread carefully.
    Toll roads also have cameras at the kiosks.

Yes this is true but the other side of that is that there are a lot of camera's around these days that record registrations.
    Not saying that this is always the case but just tread carefully.
    Toll roads also have cameras at the kiosks.

There's no way revenue can get access to this stuff.

If they could we'd have record motor tax compliance.

• Advertisement

In fairness I will probably trailer it and it won’t be used until it’s converted so they will probably accept whatever date they are given

There's no way revenue can get access to this stuff.

If they could we'd have record motor tax compliance.

I have a friend that was driving a UK reg van for a while before VRTing it, he got pulled and was asked if he intended to VRT the vehicle and how long had that vehicle been in the state, he said just a few weeks and was surprised that the Revenue were able to state a lot of his movements in various counties in the preceding time.

Motortax is not the same as VRT, they are different and Revenue are very thorough with their collection of same.
    I have been through the process a few times now and they are pleasant but thorough.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bocking 14

Is it better (VRT, duty and camper reclassification wise) getting a UK/NI reg standard van and converting it while still in NI/UK then importing it into Ireland when they move back there?

Or

Importing a standard van from UK/NI to Ireland then doing the conversion and reclassifying after importing it?

The van will be a Mercedes Sprinter LWB with no VAT.

Generally speaking, is this van cheaper here or in the UK, considering the import costs?

Thanks for any replies.

Bocking 14 wrote: »
    Is it better (VRT, duty and camper reclassification wise) getting a UK/NI reg standard van and converting it while still in NI/UK then importing it into Ireland when they move back there?

Or

Importing a standard van from UK/NI to Ireland then doing the conversion and reclassifying after importing it?

The van will be a Mercedes Sprinter LWB with no VAT.

Generally speaking, is this van cheaper here or in the UK, considering the import costs?

Thanks for any replies.

Used Sprinters seem to be quite good value here, possibly cheaper than in the U.K. cost to
    Convert in U.K. vs here might be lower?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Anyone know how much to import a UK registered camper?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

VRT is 13.5% of what they deem the open market selling price of the van.

If you import as a commercial and then re-classify, the amount you paid in VRT as a commercial is deducted from the reclassification amount

VRT is 13.5% of what they deem the open market selling price of the van.

If you import as a commercial and then re-classify, the amount you paid in VRT as a commercial is deducted from the reclassification amount

If importing from U.K. you will be liable to VAT @ 23% on the purchase price, and also liable to 10% duty as well as VRT listed

Advertisement