Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

difference between drywall screw and multipurpose

Options
  • 26-01-2021 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Will be working on an indoor project soon, for this project it would be handy to have black screw heads for a number of reasons. They will be going into both timber and also rawlplugs. (black screw cap covers won't work)

The only ones I can find are the black drywall screws. By all accounts, they look the same as wood screws and seem to have the same strength, but I'm not entirely sure

I'm looking for your opinion on whether they do the same job as multipurpose/wood screws?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They tend to have Skinnier shank and deeper and tighter thread. I.e more surface on the thread area. The front of them can be quite blunt.

I'm sure they have specific design loads for the material at hand though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Hi Folks,

Will be working on an indoor project soon, for this project it would be handy to have black screw heads for a number of reasons. They will be going into both timber and also rawlplugs. (black screw cap covers won't work)

The only ones I can find are the black drywall screws. By all accounts, they look the same as wood screws and seem to have the same strength, but I'm not entirely sure

I'm looking for your opinion on whether they do the same job as multipurpose/wood screws?

Thanks

I have used them for the reasons you outlined... I wanted black screwheads as they would be visible.

I used them for plywood wall panels, one in each corner of panel, no issues with them supporting the load etc..

Edit: they do *feel* more brittle than a standard multipurpose screw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Hi Folks,

Thanks
    https://www.tucksfasteners.ie/shop/products?i=149851&c=140353&n=Coarse-Thread-Drywall-Screw-Black-Phosphate
    see here: you need the coarse thread
    they are corrosion resistant to the gypsum.
    The head is bit smaller so I would not think they have the same holding power as say 5mm pozi.
    They do tend to snap more easily if you hit a hard knot.
    I have driven 1,000's of them with a drywall screw gun in my day!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I still have several boxes of collated 50mm drywall screws, to fit my Senco corded drywall gun.
    I was double slabbing and that is definately a job for a screwgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

If they're for outside use they should be better as they're not supposed to rust.
    AFAIK slab screws are Philips head, if that makes any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Not exactly my personal field of expertise but, I've used a Lot of them on outdoor projects. Holding wood to wood. Never had a problem. Wood may eventually rot, leaving the screws :P

As mloc123 said; " They do *feel* more brittle than a standard multipurpose screw. " I think that's because they're lighter in weight and skinny.

My favourite screw anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭jack of all

You need to make sure you're using the coarse thread drywall screw if using with wood. I've used them to fix ply lining to studs and they are fine, but they wouldn't be ideal for fixing thicker timbers as the core diameter is thinner than a standard wood screw and easier to shear them in my experience. If using an impact driver you need to be careful not to overtighten or they will shear off! Also if handling a lot of them wear gloves or put plasters on your thumb and finger as they are sharp and tiny bits of metal swarf will end up in your fingers, which is never a problem with woodscrews!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

thanks for those tips lads.

I'll do some load tests with them as i want to make sure shear doesn't occur, or if they're brittle.

All for use indoors so will be away from corrosion etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Also if handling a lot of them wear gloves or put plasters on your thumb and finger as they are sharp and tiny bits of metal swarf will end up in your fingers, which is never a problem with woodscrews!

This! God, yes! I'd forgot to mention it. But these screws Will spoil your evening. One bit, in one finger tip? Misery ensues.

Advertisement