Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change location for incoming internet connection.

Options
  • 26-01-2021 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im looking for a bit of advice, i have my RJ11 VDSL connection (pictured here) and would like to have it moved to a different location in the house (upstairs office).

The current location is a downstairs hall.

There is an existing old phone RJ11 connection in the place where i want to move it to.

I'm assuming any electrician would be able to do this? Roughly how much would it cost me? Located in Co. Tipp if that makes any difference.

The reason I'd like to move it is to consolidate all my network equipment (rack servers / NAS / switches / UPS) into a new data rack i'd like to install into the office.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Is the existing old RJ11 upstairs still wired?
    If it is then you can just use the existing cabling to bring it up here?

Otherwise do you have a route between the two rooms?

The cost will depend on the route mostly and whether you need to chase walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

alan4cult wrote: »
    Is the existing old RJ11 upstairs still wired?
    If it is then you can just use the existing cabling to bring it up here?

Otherwise do you have a route between the two rooms?

The cost will depend on the route mostly and whether you need to chase walls.

Thanks for the reply, it is still wired, but to what i don't know, but it doesn't have the same faceplate as downstairs.

This is what the upstairs one looks like: https://imgur.com/gJpP4sp

That's a slave socket and the one downstairs will be master.
    Either it's extended as a slave and will carry phone line only or it's extended as VDSL.

You can check this if you bring your modem upstairs and try and sync up. Has it got a dial tone, might be worth checking this first.

If this doesn't work then you have to put in a call to KN via your provider to extend the master socket.

alan4cult wrote: »
    That's a slave socket and the one downstairs will be master.
    Either it's extended as a slave and will carry phone line only or it's extended as VDSL.

You can check this if you bring your modem upstairs and try and sync up. Has it got a dial tone, might be worth checking this first.

If this doesn't work then you have to put in a call to KN via your provider to extend the master socket.

Cheers for the reply, I've checked the connection upstairs and it's not getting any VDSL signal.

Is this a thing that ISPs can get KN to do? (For a charge obviously) or would I be better getting an electrician to do it?

Yes if you ring your ISP you can get an engineer out to move your master socket.
    An electrician may move it but a telephone engineer might be better.
    It's meant to be the ISP who deals with the master sockets as it represents the end of their network and the beginning of yours but in reality it's just two wires and plenty of stuff if you Google moving a master socket there is some more advice.

• Advertisement

Thanks Alan, gave the ISP a call and they said they will do it for free. Had assummed they wouldn't as they are usually a bunch of ****es :D

Great, I'm surprised too. Usually it's luck of the draw whether they do.

Have you looked into getting a fibre line? It would remove all this copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Would it be easier to run a network cable between the two rooms?, electricians can do this pretty quickly, and doesn't need the phone line moved then.

You would need to have the modem there too, which is a possibility and then CAT6 up to the other socket.
    I guess the OP wants the modem up with everything else.

Advertisement