Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing an Amorak or Ranger up North for farm work any dealer recommendations?

Options
  • 26-01-2021 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

I've been dealing with Agnew's in Belfast for the past 15 years and never had an issue, although I have only bought domestic vehicles but I'm sure they're worth a look for their commercials as well:

https://www.agnewcars.com/volkswagen-commercials/used-commercials/approved/?COGManufacturer=Volkswagen&COGModel=Amarok%2cAMAROK+A32+DIESEL%2cAMAROK+A33+DIESEL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Is there anything to be saved travelling north or going to England now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Herselfs father brings in vehicles from the uk regularily. savage spec on the uk jeeps compared to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Is there anything to be saved travelling north or going to England now?

Yes but be careful as the terms of the vehicle been registered in the north so Northern reg for example and if on UK plates in the region I believe 12 months....

Have to read up on it better but there isn't the charges etc if were bringing over the water..... From the UK mainland...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Tommyturf

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Herselfs father brings in vehicles from the uk regularily. savage spec on the uk jeeps compared to here.

any solid traders over there? i still think theres probably a bit to be saved, when VRT, VAT, duty, exchange, and better spec are all considered. thanks

• Advertisement

Tommyturf wrote: »
    any solid traders over there? i still think theres probably a bit to be saved, when VRT, VAT, duty, exchange, and better spec are all considered. thanks

I'm not sure who/where he buys off tbh. Just know that he'd have a steady flow of good yokes coming through the garage. I know he said some new change to emissions makes them dearer since the new year but I don't really ask too many questions on it, that could be just cars. Not sure if there's any additional fees/costs now with brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Does it have to be up north? See Kane’s in Longford with a nice selection of amaroks?

390kid wrote: »
    Does it have to be up north? See Kane’s in Longford with a nice selection of amaroks?

Thanks for response, I'll look at kanes now. Now once the value is there I'd purchase anywhere tbh, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I see on the reviews from the Australian videos the main complaint is the lack of curtain airbags in the rear, is it the same in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

https://www.alexandertractors.com/#search/vehicletype-Commercials/

When you go up you can get yourself a couple of good in-calf heifers from his Jalex herd :D

• Advertisement

https://www.alexandertractors.com/#search/vehicletype-Commercials/

When you go up you can get yourself a couple of good in-calf heifers from his Jalex herd :D

There a Rob, all prices ex Vat, may keep looking in South!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/2017-toyota-hilux-invincible/26471621 what are this crowd like for jeeps, these hilux look nice

Us it just the 13.5% vrt and vat that is charged on them now from the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Mooooo wrote: »
    Us it just the 13.5% vrt and vat that is charged on them now from the north?

So on a 20000 jeep that's 2700?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DonegalMick

I bought a Ford ranger a few year ago from brown and day in clay, outside Derry City, found them very good to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Rabbitman

Alexandertractors Randalstown have some nice Amoraks priced fairly ok . Never dealt with them myself but a few guys down here bought tractors from them and found them very honest .

I drove a ranger last night herself's father has in at the moment. Christ there's some comfort in it.

I drove a ranger last night herself's father has in at the moment. Christ there's some comfort in it.

Was it the 3.2 model? There seems to be a big variety on the specs you can get on them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Was it the 3.2 model? There seems to be a big variety on the specs you can get on them

The 3.2 are high spec but have the price tag to match. The 2.2 seem more like the poverty spec you'd expect from an entry level Ford.

The 3.2 look the part but there too big and gaudy imo although there getting very popular locally. If I had that sort of money to spend I think I'd still go with the Land Cruiser.

Its the 2.2 model but fierce highly specced inside. leather interior and heated seats etc. ive seen a few of them 3.2's around here and they look fierce redneck. They have a 2 tone trim on the interior of a lot of them thats rotten.

• Advertisement

The 3.2 are high spec but have the price tag to match. The 2.2 seem more like the poverty spec you'd expect from an entry level Ford.

The 3.2 look the part but there too big and gaudy imo although there getting very popular locally. If I had that sort of money to spend I think I'd still go with the Land Cruiser.
    Ye they do seem fairly big and bulky looking don’t know how they’d be in a tight spot with a tri axle trailer, ye I’d share the same view as you when it comes to the spending part. How are the reports of the amorak for farming l?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Ye they do seem fairly big and bulky looking don’t know how they’d be in a tight spot with a tri axle trailer, ye I’d share the same view as you when it comes to the spending part. How are the reports of the amorak for farming l?

I've yet to encounter a crewcab that had anything better than an average steering lock and turning circle. The problem with any of them is when you put a 14" trailer on the back you're into an outfit that's 32 or 34 foot long. You'd have a nice sized lorry to get to that size and it would be more maneuverable in a tight yard. Most of the places I'd be you'd want a map to find space to turn around.

There's not that many of the Amorak locally and I'd have thought they'd be pricey too. The lack of a 4wd low box would put me off although maybe it wouldn't make much difference in the overall scheme of thing's. I had a drive in a friend's 201 short wheel base Land Cruiser lately and tbh there still the best jeep imo. Are they gone to a 2.8 engine now in the cruiser?

The auto and v6 combo in the amarok is supposed to be a good combo, 8 speed auto so plenty gears

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Its the 2.2 model but fierce highly specced inside. leather interior and heated seats etc. ive seen a few of them 3.2's around here and they look fierce redneck. They have a 2 tone trim on the interior of a lot of them thats rotten.

That 2.2 engine isn't that great at all. Supposed to be underpowered for them and can give oil pump problems.

It's used in transits, some Peugeot and Citroen vans and some Jaguar cars and it has a patchy rep in all of them.

Think Ford have done a few recalls on them.

I've yet to encounter a crewcab that had anything better than an average steering lock and turning circle. The problem with any of them is when you put a 14" trailer on the back you're into an outfit that's 32 or 34 foot long. You'd have a nice sized lorry to get to that size and it would be more maneuverable in a tight yard. Most of the places I'd be you'd want a map to find space to turn around.

There's not that many of the Amorak locally and I'd have thought they'd be pricey too. The lack of a 4wd low box would put me off although maybe it wouldn't make much difference in the overall scheme of thing's. I had a drive in a friend's 201 short wheel base Land Cruiser lately and tbh there still the best jeep imo. Are they gone to a 2.8 engine now in the cruiser?

Ye there a 2.8 now man I work for has one and reckons she’s a animal to pull

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

perhaps im mistaken and you are referring to a commercial SWB but a three year old landcruiser ( five seater ) costs the same as a brand new Ford Ranger 3.2 wildtrak

a 2.2 ranger should not be considered IMO

a cousin of mine has a 3.2 ,he says its the best pick up he has ever driven and he,s owned hilux before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭Grueller

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    perhaps im mistaken and you are referring to a commercial SWB but a three year old landcruiser ( five seater ) costs the same as a brand new Ford Ranger 3.2 wildtrak

a cousin of mine has a 3.2 ,he says its the best pick up he has ever driven and he,s owned hilux before

How old?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Grueller wrote: »
    How old?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

Mad_maxx wrote: »

The problem with the 3 year old land cruisers is they are the same price as a new land cruiser as well.

A friend of mine went to buy one last week. Waiting time for a new one is 6-8 months. There was a few clean second hands in the dealers yard so he enquired about them.

A 2 year old with 20k km on it was €4000 dearer than the new one, same spec. A 1 yr old with 48k km on it was only €1,500 less than the new one. He said to the salesman “sure that’s crazy, how could they be worth that?” “They can’t be got so that’s what they’re making” was the reply and “if you don’t want to pay that there’s no problem, the next lad in will.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Vinnymcdonnell

Why not just get a high Spec Nissan Navara. Will be more comfortable than the other crewcabs as it has independent rear suspension rather than leaf's like the rest. Would need to be the newer shape (16+) so it does not have the rear bed rust issues.

We bought a 6 month old one from the North and saved around 15k in 2016. High spec with leather and auto box, was a very good jeep to be fair

Advertisement