Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invest in PlayStation for SkyGo??

Options
  • 25-01-2021 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi all, quick question: Rang up sky prior to Christmas to ask if I could have Sky Multiroom installed in the house as we currently only have Sky in the living room. Was told that our WiFi Internet wasn't fast enough to install it as that is the way Multiroom is run these days. Just wondering do ye think it would be worth investing in a PlayStation in order to watch Sky through the SkyGo Extra app in another room? Mobile data hotspot is usually faster than WiFi in the house so could play through that. Even if I just had it for Sky Cinema, boxsets etc. not even overly worried about live tv. Is watching Sky through a PlayStation something that will always be possible or is it a possibility that Sky may block this in the same way they've blocked us from playing SkyGo app through a chromecast. Don't want to invest in a PlayStation if it may be pulled in future..what ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

tadgho wrote: »
    Hi all, quick question: Rang up sky prior to Christmas to ask if I could have Sky Multiroom installed in the house as we currently only have Sky in the living room. Was told that our WiFi Internet wasn't fast enough to install it as that is the way Multiroom is run these days. Just wondering do ye think it would be worth investing in a PlayStation in order to watch Sky through the SkyGo Extra app in another room? Mobile data hotspot is usually faster than WiFi in the house so could play through that. Even if I just had it for Sky Cinema, boxsets etc. not even overly worried about live tv. Is watching Sky through a PlayStation something that will always be possible or is it a possibility that Sky may block this in the same way they've blocked us from playing SkyGo app through a chromecast. Don't want to invest in a PlayStation if it may be pulled in future..what ye think?

I use Sky Go on a PlayStation 4 and 5. It works very well. However it is a bit OTT to get a PlayStation just for Sky Go imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

lertsnim wrote: »
    I use Sky Go on a PlayStation 4 and 5. It works very well. However it is a bit OTT to get a PlayStation just for Sky Go imo.

Sky Multiroom: €19 per month (1 year = €228)

Second hand PlayStation 4: Approx. €200.

Good investment in my opinion! :) Especially seen as I've no other option to watch in other rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,359 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just be aware that the picture quality on Sky Go on a PS4 isn't as good as a second sky box (I think it's 720p max?) for streaming live TV.

Works grand though, and if you get a PS4 you can also play games!

dulpit wrote: »
    Just be aware that the picture quality on Sky Go on a PS4 isn't as good as a second sky box (I think it's 720p max?) for streaming live TV.

Works grand though, and if you get a PS4 you can also play games!

Yeh tried it on a friend's PS4 a few weeks ago, quality was surprisingly good tbh! :) Yeh might even dabble in a bit of FIFA/Call of Duty!!...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

Nearly sure sky mini box uses a WiFi mesh created by main sky q box which has nothing to do with your internet BB speed. Main box sends picture to mini on an internal WiFi not through internet. I believe you can actually Lan cable them together either . I don't have it so someone else may know more that does

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Playstation 3 still supports the Sky Go App.

Beaware that you need a Sky Go Plus subscription to watch Sky Go on a Playstation.

mikeym wrote: »

Beaware that you need a Sky Go Plus subscription to watch Sky Go on a Playstation.

Yes have Sky Go Plus. As a matter of interest, what else does Sky Go 'Plus' offer apart from playback through a PlayStation, anyone know??

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

mikeym wrote: »

I think that support ended on the PS3 on the 19th January.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,848 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Surely a Firestick would be a much more suitable option than a PlayStation. Much cheaper. Can be moved from TV to TV with ease. Offers other streaming services also.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Surely a Firestick would be a much more suitable option than a PlayStation. Much cheaper. Can be moved from TV to TV with ease. Offers other streaming services also.

Sky Go doesn't work on a firestick though...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky are really restrictive on allowing streaming on anything that actually allows you to put an image on a TV screen. Laptop or games console is it basically. Not sure it’s even possible for new customers to pay for Sky Go Extra separate from Multiscreen any more.

They are not so restrictive with Now TV incidentally, it is one of its main attractions as opposed to Sky Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,848 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

dulpit wrote: »
    Sky Go doesn't work on a firestick though...

There's plenty of step by step guides available on how to get it to work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I tried one website and it didnt work for me. The Sky go app wouldnt work on the Firestick.

Looks like mr cochise was right https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-Apps/Support-for-Sky-Go-on-PS3-ends-on-19-January-2021/td-p/3542482

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

I think you're wrong. I can't find any way to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I was using Sky Go on my Playstation 4 for a few days while waiting for them to come out and install it in my new house. Quality is atrocious, 720p isn't the issue it's the bitrate itself. More akin to a 480p YouTube video. It also buffers a lot even with a wired connection. I think NowTV is the same service but in the UK they have a 1080p option. Some channels can't be streamed depending on what's on. A movie on Virgin Media right now can't be watched or Judge Judy during the day for example.

I don't think you can access any on demand stuff on PS4 like you can on a phone?

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I was using Sky Go on my Playstation 4 for a few days while waiting for them to come out and install it in my new house. Quality is atrocious, 720p isn't the issue it's the bitrate itself. More akin to a 480p YouTube video. It also buffers a lot even with a wired connection. I think NowTV is the same service but in the UK they have a 1080p option. Some channels can't be streamed depending on what's on. A movie on Virgin Media right now can't be watched or Judge Judy during the day for example.

I don't think you can access any on demand stuff on PS4 like you can on a phone?

You definitely can watch on demand stuff on ps4. I watched all of oz and the wire using it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Can you purchase a second box instead of the mini? The sky go quality for live TV is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

AdrianII wrote: »
    Can you purchase a second box instead of the mini? The sky go quality for live TV is awful

I don't think you can but the mini box has all the functionality of a main box. I used one without issue for as long as they've been out. Quality with a mini box is infinitely better than Sky Go.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I don't think you can but the mini box has all the functionality of a main box. I used one without issue for as long as they've been out. Quality with a mini box is infinitely better than Sky Go.

Yeh a mini box would be ideal but as I said in OP, the guy in Sky recommended not to install multiroom as my broadband isnt fast enough apparently..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

tadgho wrote:
    Yeh a mini box would be ideal but as I said in OP, the guy in Sky recommended not to install multiroom as my broadband isnt fast enough apparently..

Mini box does not work off your broadband connection it creates a separate WiFi connection to main q box. Get onto someone who knows more in sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

You have either been told a pile of crap or have completely misunderstood whatever they were telling you because that is just not the way it works.

The main sky Q box receives the broadcast channels from satellite, NOT internet.

Sky Q then feeds the mini Q boxes wither via wired (ethernet NOT coaxial) or wireless using it's own wifi connection which has NOTHING to do with your broadband.

Sky Q (and Sky+) use your home internet connection for on-demand content and additional streaming services but the core product is satellite reception and requires no internet connection.

Hi guys, OP here again. Still considering my options. Was also thinking of a projector as an option, anyone know if SkyGo app can be projected from a phone onto a wall using a projector? I know picture quality would be compromised but only looking for something that will probably be used only now and again when TV in main living room is otherwise occupied!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Another option is to get a hdmi splitter and run a long hdmi cable to your other room.

I do this to 4 rooms in my home and I can control the sky box via phone.

Only downside is everyone in each has to watch same channel but works for me as my sons are in their 20s and they don't watch traditional tv like Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I've it on a PS4. Found it was good for the football on Virgin Media as the Saorview quality on that 2nd TV is a lower bitrate with VM.

Watched a few box sets but there are no subtitles option and it's awkward to fast forward if you have previously watched part of a show.
    I got Sky Plus Go free as a Sky VIP customer bonus but ironically I rarely use it. Probs half cos I'm not watching much sky box sets and half cos I forget it's available on that TV...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Hi guys, OP here again. Still considering my options. Was also thinking of a projector as an option, anyone know if SkyGo app can be projected from a phone onto a wall using a projector? I know picture quality would be compromised but only looking for something that will probably be used only now and again when TV in main living room is otherwise occupied!!

No, the app disables outputting to a tv from a phone. Projector is a tv is far as its concerned.

But, have you a laptop? Use Sky Go on that, and there is no problem outputting to a TV. Long time (years) since I’ve done it mind. A games console is a very expensive investment if all you want it for is Sky Go (if you really want to play video games on it though, it might be worthwhile).

Advertisement