Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon EOS 200 or EOS 100

Options
  • 25-01-2021 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi there,

I currently have a Canon 1300D DSLR camera. I find it too big to bring on walks, hill climbs etc. It is a great camera but just awkward with the different lenses I have when I already bringing other gear.

Would the EOS m100 or m200 be a better option or are they only slightly better than smartphone? They look nice and compact but would they be worth the purchase?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think either of those cameras will be an upgrade in pretty much every way from your 1300D (once you can live with the smaller size - which it seems is what you want anyway). Far from any comparison to smartphones, modern mirrorless cameras are on par with DSLRs, and in some cases (e.g. Sony), the're replacing them entirely.

One thing you will lose, however, with either of those particular mirrorless models, is the viewfinder. Personally, I couldn't have a camera without one, so that would be a deal-breaker for me. But that's not the case for everyone.

Take a look at the spec comparison here:

https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos1300d&products=canon_eosm100&products=canon_eosm200

You would need an adapter if you plan to use your existing EF lenses on the EF-M mount of either of the mirrorless cameras, which would add some bulk.

https://www.canon.ie/lenses/mount-adapter-ef-eos-m-lens/

But if you plan on using native lenses, that won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tcooley

I think either of those cameras will be an upgrade in pretty much every way from your 1300D (once you can live with the smaller size - which it seems is what you want anyway). Far from any comparison to smartphones, modern mirrorless cameras are on par with DSLRs, and in some cases (e.g. Sony), the're replacing them entirely.

One thing you will lose, however, with either of those particular mirrorless models, is the viewfinder. Personally, I couldn't have a camera without one, so that would be a deal-breaker for me. But that's not the case for everyone.

Take a look at the spec comparison here:

https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos1300d&products=canon_eosm100&products=canon_eosm200

You would need an adapter if you plan to use your existing EF lenses on the EF-M mount of either of the mirrorless cameras, which would add some bulk.

https://www.canon.ie/lenses/mount-adapter-ef-eos-m-lens/

But if you plan on using native lenses, that won't be an issue.

Thanks Gregor. Some great advice there. I really love the 1300 as has served me well. Pity about the viewfinder. That is a real disadvantage. Anyway I will weigh it all up. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I found myself in a similar situation, albeit with an older DSLR + standard 35~70 + two telephoto zooms, all just too much weight and bulk to carry on a long walk (bringing the longer zoom was like carrying a feckin' wine bottle).

If you're not tied to the idea of being able to use your existing lenses, you've carte blanche in terms of brand, and you can pick up some very nice stuff secondhand for very little money. I watched a few eBay auctions for a while and for a shade under €200 picked up an as-new Sony RX-100 III (comparison with your M200 here — I know it doesn't match the Canon in some respects; it's a much older camera with a fixed 24-70mm zoom range. But it has an EVF and takes some cracking photos). I carry it around with me, and the DSLR kitbag and tripod goes in the boot only if I know I really, really need a 100-600mm range.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tcooley

Thanks @peckerhead. I see the Sony is a good option too. I always like to stick with Canon but I may vary this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

With canon the lower the number, the better the specs/quality of the camera .

The top of the line is the 1dx series, then the 5d series and so on and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Rikp2005

The M series are a good choice for a more portable set up, I have an M5 and a full spectrum converted M6 ( for infrared and astro) I think I prefer the M6 as I have the evf and can choose whether to use it or not. Have a look online for used ones, you may get a bargain, or a couple of ef-m lenses with it.

Advertisement