Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Spit Hocklers

Options
  • 25-01-2021 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭

I just don't get people who spit and hockle on the ground in full view of others. They don't seem to care how disgusting they're being. The majority of the time it's smokers who do it. They seem to have no reservations either about throwing their butts on the ground and using the path as their own personal bin.

An recent example would be a big lump of a guy in front of me on the footpath a few weeks ago. I paid him no mind at first, but all of a sudden he starting barking like a dog in the following manner...

HURP.....

HURP.....

HURPHURP....

HUURP....

HURPHWAAAACK!!! PTHOO!

A big projectile greener just flew out of his gob. He didn't care who was looking at him or how gross he was being. I ran past just to get ahead of him.

Honestly there's a lot of people out there who simply have the manners of a dog. They should be issued with mandatory portable spitoons with failure to use the spitoons to dispose of their hockle discreetly, be hit with an on the spot fine for hockling on the ground.

Comments

you'd love China.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

some people were dragged up, they see nothing wrong with doing things like that, same people will throw rubbish out their car window rather than put it in a bin. I wouldnt even bother saying anything to them, no point, they wont change, I just remind myself that they will have a $hit life, these people arent going anywhere in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I personally don't do it.

But if you have a lot of phlegm in your throat (maybe because of smoking or other damage to your esophagus or lungs) its a way to get rid of that.

As an example, you might have cyctic fibrosis and have no other way of getting rid of the phlegm that coats your lungs and makes it difficult to breathe.

Maybe. Maybe everyone isn't the same as you, are going through their own things, and has their reasons for doing what they are doing.

Or maybe they're all just pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I just don't get people who spit and hockle on the ground in full view of others. They don't seem to care how disgusting they're being. The majority of the time it's smokers who do it. They seem to have no reservations either about throwing their butts on the ground and using the path as their own personal bin.

An recent example would be a big lump of a guy in front of me on the footpath a few weeks ago. I paid him no mind at first, but all of a sudden he starting barking like a dog in the following manner...

HURP.....

HURP.....

HURPHURP....

HUURP....

HURPHWAAAACK!!! PTHOO!

A big projectile greener just flew out of his gob. He didn't care who was looking at him or how gross he was being. I ran past just to get ahead of him.

Honestly there's a lot of people out there who simply have the manners of a dog. They should be issued with mandatory portable spitoons with failure to use the spitoons to dispose of their hockle discreetly, be hit with an on the spot fine for hockling on the ground.

That's very harsh on Dogs.

Dogs are great, people not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Glenster wrote: »
    I personally don't do it.

But if you have a lot of phlegm in your throat (maybe because of smoking or other damage to your esophagus or lungs) its a way to get rid of that.

As an example, you might have cyctic fibrosis and have no other way of getting rid of the phlegm that coats your lungs and makes it difficult to breathe.

Maybe. Maybe everyone isn't the same as you, are going through their own things, and has their reasons for doing what they are doing.

Or maybe they're all just pricks.

Then they should use a tissue.

Spitting is fcuking disgusting at any time. In the middle of a global respiratory pandemic it's downright scumbag behaviour. End of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

glasso wrote: »
    you'd love China.

I'll see your China and raise you Myanmar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I think you can instantly get the measure of a person if you see them spit in public.

It's a vile habit, and a perennially favoured one of scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Dial Hard wrote: »

Spitting is fcuking disgusting at any time. In the middle of a global respiratory pandemic it's downright scumbag behaviour. End of.

Not just a tissue, I've been caught myself, and as long as you do it discreetly and into a ditch or a gutter I don't see a problem with it myself.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

It's disgusting behaviour. To try and rationalise it by mentioning cystic fibrosis etc is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Dial Hard wrote: »

Being aggressive on the internet is disgusting too, and calling people names.

But I don't say that you should stop "end of". Maybe your kid died because someone once spat on the ground, or similarly someone spitting on the ground may have had a profound impact on you personally. Your personal circumstances could be informing your vitriol.

In any case, we don't disagree that it's not nice to look at, I just think labeling everyone who does it a scumbag (without knowing why they are doing it) is a little broad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Maybe the internet isn't for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

But I don't say that you should stop "end of". Maybe your kid died because someone once spat on the ground, or similarly someone spitting on the ground may have had a profound impact on you personally. Your personal circumstances could be informing your vitriol.

In any case, we don't disagree that it's not nice to look at, I just think labeling everyone who does it a scumbag (without knowing why they are doing it) is a little broad.
    Do you generally have a tendency to overreact?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I can do better.

I saw a junkie take a shyte on the boardwalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I see people drink a can and drop it on the ground,
    why do people litter, because theres people out there who care about no one, and are too lazy to use a bin.
    If you have a medical problem buy a pack of tissues .

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I'll see your China and raise you Myanmar.

Far more people in China. Which makes the spitting far more common. (although there have been government/educational programs to try reduce it)

I honestly don't know if smokers are more likely than non-smokers to spit.. I am a smoker, and it's not something I ever need to do. I spit in the shower in the mornings, since the hot water/steam helps shift the tar.. I suspect most smokers would do similar, since just "hocking" (without that help) is horribly uncomfortable on the throat.. A throat that is already likely dry from smoking.

As for the throwing of butts, yeah, I can see that. (I carry a tin for my butts when I'm outside) Although then again, I see all manner of rubbish all over the place. I'm always amazed at the lack of bins in Ireland, and when there is one, it likely hasn't been emptied in days.. if it has an ashtray at all...

But yup, many smokers are completely oblivious to their littering. However, many others aren't. Don't paint us all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's the act of a scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's absolutely GROSS! It's also almost entirely cis males that engage in spitting. Disgusting.

Vile hetronormative behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes it is disgusting,

was done all the time in my schoolyard a way of actin hard, that and wearing shoes with steel heels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Wilhelm III

It's absolutely GROSS! It's also almost entirely cis males that engage in spitting. Disgusting.
    Ahgowanaway with your aul' 'cis' sh*te! I do agree though, it's not nice behaviour - same with them f***ers who deliberately cough when somebody is talking. Ill mannered b***ards, the whole-lorrathem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

That's very harsh on Dogs.

Dogs are great, people not so much.

Dogs are great, but thats irrelevant here as they poo on the street, hump anything in sight and would more than likely lap up a big gob of phlegm from the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

Seems to be common in working class areas and on construction sites etc. The problem is when they do it in the city centre Infront of the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yeah I know right? Loike totally loike.

Advertisement