Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

virgin 1gb vs 250mb broadband

Options
  • 25-01-2021 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

is the virgin 1gb broadband worth the extra money? as realistically speeds achieved will be around the 250mb mark on most independent speed tests, so is the 250mb deal going to give me close to 200mb/s for half the price?

or does anyone have any experiences? Im located in dublin city so no connection issues but need good internet for tv

any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how much bandwidth do you realistically need?

I have teenagers in the house, online all the time, 250mb with decent wifi kit is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

nerrad01 wrote: »
    is the virgin 1gb broadband worth the extra money? as realistically speeds achieved will be around the 250mb mark on most independent speed tests, so is the 250mb deal going to give me close to 200mb/s for half the price?

or does anyone have any experiences? Im located in dublin city so no connection issues but need good internet for tv

any advice appreciated

I have siro 1Gig but i would say if there was a price difference, 250 is plenty for a household. Once you have a proper setup i.e. 5GHz wifi available around most of the house, thats the main thing.
    Don't bother with the 1Gig unless there's no price difference or you have a real need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerrad01

Great thanks for the advice. I live alone but will be using it for FHD streaming of my tv which comes through the internet but by the sounds of things 250mb speeds will be more than enough

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You'd get away with 25Mb for gaming and streaming 4k, 1Gb, unless cheaper, is overkill for pretty much everyone. Pain in the ass for downloading anything large though like games.

I have virgin 1gb and I get up to 100mb/s download speeds depending on the server. I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerrad01

thanks for the advice all, think ill just go with 250mb sounds like plenty for me

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Hurrache wrote: »
    You'd get away with 25Mb for gaming and streaming 4k, 1Gb, unless cheaper, is overkill for pretty much everyone. Pain in the ass for downloading anything large though like games.

100 per cent. I live in rural setting. I have 30 -50 mb via wisp. I stream 4k comfortably with it

Advertisement