Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel to US in July?

Options
  • 25-01-2021 6:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

My daughter has won a scholarship to a summer school to do with her Law course to New York at end of July. There are 2000 students coming from all over the world. The scholarship includes free accommodation in Downtown Manhattan for 7 nights and 1000 dollars off the cost of the Conference. She really wants to go and has paid 300 dollars as deposit - cost of conference is 2k. I am wary about her paying the remaining of her cost - 2 x further instalments of 350, as the US are currently have banned travellers from Ireland, UK and most of Europe due to Covid. I am also concerned that even if that changes, she might not be able to get travel insurance, and I have said she shouldn't travel without it. Any advice/comments on this would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭fran38

Any chance you could ask the organisers of the school about the chance of a refund if the ban is still in place in July!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

That's not a scholarship. Sounds more like a ruse.

Charge an extremely high price and then offer discounts and a bed in what will probably be a hostel / shared student accommodation to make you think you are getting a deal. (Student accommodation can be had for $200 a week in summer)

I'd do a lot more research on the organisation before handing out more money and definitely get a covid non travel refund guarantee

Covid is worldwide. So you will find that there will be plenty of places left on this course. But it's highly unlikely to be a scholarship and most of likely to be available next year too

Travel insurance will probably exclude anything covid related and travel itself will probably be dependent on having the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Covid case rates hit 15,000 / day (highest rate yet) on 12th January in New York... would not be considering heading stateside for any reason whatsoever this year. What genius thinks it’s a great idea to gather 2000 young folk from every corner of a pandemic ridden earth?

The lost €300 deposit could be the best money ever spent.

The scholarship sounds like the old time-share ‘prize’ unlucky tourists used to win on the costa drunka. Is it the Trump Law University running it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hannaho wrote: »
    My daughter has won a scholarship to a summer school to do with her Law course to New York at end of July. There are 2000 students coming from all over the world. The scholarship includes free accommodation in Downtown Manhattan for 7 nights and 1000 dollars off the cost of the Conference. She really wants to go and has paid 300 dollars as deposit - cost of conference is 2k. I am wary about her paying the remaining of her cost - 2 x further instalments of 350, as the US are currently have banned travellers from Ireland, UK and most of Europe due to Covid. I am also concerned that even if that changes, she might not be able to get travel insurance, and I have said she shouldn't travel without it. Any advice/comments on this would be much appreciated.

Would that be in college accommodation that would be empty over the summer period... This sounds like a good bit of marketing, rather than an genuine scholarship.....

At this point, without health insurance I doubt she'd even be allowed to enter the country....

Advertisement